2022-23 College Basketball

I think both ways are brutal - calling a foul or swallowing the whistle - when under 5 seconds left in game.

But, when it's a clear foul - you have to call it every time and be consistent.  The phantom whistle is what bugs me the most - and this wasn't the case IMHO.

16 hours ago, GSG said:

I want the game to end that way because it was the correct call. Swallowing the whistle because it's the end of the game is just stupid.

I feel very much like I did after the Superbowl, yes it's a foul, but it was also a foul the first 99% of the game and the refs didn't call it.   Who knows what the outcome would have been in either game if it went to OT like it should have, but in both instances the refs ended the game on a penalty that they let go all game.

EDIT--and very much like the Superbowl, that play in the last minute (or seconds) of the game didn't lose the game for either team.   Plenty of missed shots and rebounds for Creighton in the second half, plenty of questionable decisions by the Eagles all game long.

12 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

As someone who watched that entire Creighton/SDSU game heck yeah I thought that was a chincy call at the end.  I didn't think it affected his shot either as some were trying to say.  The state of refereeing isn't what it used to be but that's across all sports imo. 

I was surprised that they called it...but it was funny :)

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

As someone who watched that entire Creighton/SDSU game heck yeah I thought that was a chincy call at the end.  I didn't think it affected his shot either as some were trying to say.  The state of refereeing isn't what it used to be but that's across all sports imo. 

I mean its hard to tell but his body does lurch forward and the shot comes off funny. It is obvious it isnt blocked, so either he tried to sell it or the push was enough to change the trajectory of the shot---therefore a foul.

I can understand why Blue Jay fans would be livid but I dont think it was an obvious missed call but certainly dont think that type of call has been made in the past. 

Pretty brutal way to lose.. Which I enjoyed.

• Plus1 1

It's a sucky way to end a huge game like that for sure.  In the end though the way Creighton was playing at the beginning of the season I definitely did not seeing that team going as far as they.  Terrible ending for them however with a referee (just my opinion) ending a possible final 4 birth.  I just felt it was chincy at best especially given how the entire game had been called.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's a sucky way to end a huge game like that for sure.  In the end though the way Creighton was playing at the beginning of the season I definitely did not seeing that team going as far as they.  Terrible ending for them however with a referee (just my opinion) ending a possible final 4 birth.  I just felt it was chincy at best especially given how the entire game had been called.

I only saw the second half but it seemed like they were not calling much at all.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I only saw the second half but it seemed like they were not calling much at all.

They weren't.  It was a grind it out physical game, a lot of pushing, dislodging, bumping on every cut and shot.   Weak call at the end, considering how the game was played.  But Creighton should complain about how they couldn't outrebound a smaller team and gave up 13 offensive rebounds when they have a 7'1" guy basically camped in the paint on the defensive side of the ball the entire game.  And they missed a lot of shots that should go in.   They played a brutal second half that put them in a position where a bad call at the end could hurt them.   Take care of business the first 19:58 of the second half, the last 2 seconds don't matter.