2022 Season Notes

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Was it the fact that John Cook didnt anticipate her coming back and didnt have a scholarship for her or if when she gained eligibility he would have had to pull someone else's to give to her? Very strange that she would up and leave for her last year of volleyball. Best of luck whatever she chooses. To me this whole thing doesn't make sense.

When I saw her announcement last night, I was curious if there might be something like this.

However, my guess is that isn't exactly how it went down.  It sure seems like she kept dragging her feet and not deciding about something.  It kind of seems to me like we just decided to move on.

Yeah I don't know how that all went down.  Cook made it almost sound like it was because of technicalities a few months ago but like you said who knows what really went down.  She balled out for us in big time moments last year I know that much.  Not happy about her not being here this upcoming season but it is what it is I suppose.

8 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I don't know how that all went down.  Cook made it almost sound like it was because of technicalities a few months ago but like you said who knows what really went down.  She balled out for us in big time moments last year I know that much.  Not happy about her not being here this upcoming season but it is what it is I suppose.

First there was one deadline missed.  Then another.  Then it was "the ball is in her court".  And now supposedly we don't have a scholarship for her.  

Not sure how it can go from being her decision to not having a scholarship for her other than we were tired of waiting and decided to move on.

Kinda sucks.  But I can see them getting tired of her dragging it out (if that's what happened).

• Fire 1

Really gonna miss her out there.  Wonder where she'll end up and how that situation plays out for her.  Guess we'll find out.

We’ve known all along that Caffey’s situation was complicated, as coach John Cook has spoken at length about — and likely will talk about again when he takes the podium Monday for Big Ten Media Days in Chicago.

"Kayla's situation has been unlike any other we've ever dealt with before," Cook, who has helmed Nebraska's program since 2000, said in the news release announcing Caffey's departure.

Caffey is, after all, entering her unprecedented seventh season of eligibility.

The NCAA cleared Caffey for her seventh season in the spring. Before the ruling came, Cook said in January that Caffey wanted to play for Nebraska if she could.

But for the fall, the numbers appear to not have been on Caffey’s side.

Volleyball teams have just 12 scholarships available for players each year. The roster, excluding Caffey, carries 14 players, though Maggie Mendelson should count for basketball rather than volleyball.

The scholarship rule temporarily went by the wayside last year if players used their extra COVID-19 season, but the standard rules are back in effect now, which complicates things for upperclassmen who would have otherwise expired their eligibility by now.