2022 Season Notes

So maybe I’m completely off base here but it sure sounds like Cook agreed to let Kayla come back, but she was shopping around for a possible NIL deal. Then either Cook got wind of it and was pissed off he was willing to sacrifice an extra scholarship for her and she was stringing them along or she found a deal and told Cook she was entering the portal. Regardless it seems obvious from that statement that coach is not real happy about the situation. 

1 hour ago, Farms said:

So maybe I’m completely off base here but it sure sounds like Cook agreed to let Kayla come back, but she was shopping around for a possible NIL deal. Then either Cook got wind of it and was pissed off he was willing to sacrifice an extra scholarship for her and she was stringing them along or she found a deal and told Cook she was entering the portal. Regardless it seems obvious from that statement that coach is not real happy about the situation. 

My take too. But what other school would give her NIL money- or as much? 

Kind of confusing that he goes from from not being motivated because she already has a master’s to talking about NIL

After thinking about this a little more I’m guessing it went down something like this. At some point in the process dragging out Coach had a change of heart about using up the extra scholarship. (Maybe because he’s killing it in recruiting again). He has the idea of bringing Caffey on as a non scholarship player to avoid the penalty with the help of NIL. From there either A. The deals didn’t amount to what Caffey thought they would. B. She misunderstood what was going on and thought she was getting a scholarship plus some NIL. C. At the 11th hr she decided it would be nice to have the NIL deals on top of scholarship and thought she could get both from another school.  Reading between the lines from Cook’s statement I think this is likely what happened.

5 hours ago, Farms said:

After thinking about this a little more I’m guessing it went down something like this. At some point in the process dragging out Coach had a change of heart about using up the extra scholarship. (Maybe because he’s killing it in recruiting again). He has the idea of bringing Caffey on as a non scholarship player to avoid the penalty with the help of NIL. From there either A. The deals didn’t amount to what Caffey thought they would. B. She misunderstood what was going on and thought she was getting a scholarship plus some NIL. C. At the 11th hr she decided it would be nice to have the NIL deals on top of scholarship and thought she could get both from another school.  Reading between the lines from Cook’s statement I think this is likely what happened.

This seems pretty reasonable.  I don't fault Caffey from leaving if she realized the only avenue she had to pay for school was through NIL which to me isn't the intention.  It stinks because she's a great player. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:53 AM, Xmas32 said:

This seems pretty reasonable.  I don't fault Caffey from leaving if she realized the only avenue she had to pay for school was through NIL which to me isn't the intention.  It stinks because she's a great player. 

The explanation from Cook shows that she is only committed to herself and not the team. I think there was another recent former player who spent more time branding her clothing line than preparing for the season, which resulted in being demoted from starter to role player to disappearing altogether. Could be a good thing to remove a potential distraction or disgruntled player now.

He’s been burnt once, now twice, and sounds like he’s digging into an interesting stance on the whole matter.

Also, because it’s one of my all time favorite sports movies - he misrepresented Miracle. It wasn’t about name on the back of the jersey, it was about forgetting who you once played for that got you into the position they were in and all about who you play for *now* to create buy-in for this cause. Ticky tacky of me? Perhaps. I grew up knowing HS baseball coaches who made kids ditch their summer team gear (shirts, bags, etc) during school season because it was a distraction.