*** 2022 Husker Previews: The Athletic - Is Nebraska closer to a breakthrough or breakdown? ***

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

After going up 17-7 in the 2Q we averaged 2.2 yards per play with 3 INTs over our next 8 drives until the TD drive in garbage time

3 plays for 0 yards

3 plays for 9 yards

2 plays for -4 yards INT

3 plays for -10 yards

4 plays for 29 yards

3 plays for 2 yards

1 play for 0 yards INT

3 plays for 22 yards INT

Oh my God, I know we were bad, but that is a whole different realm of bad. We weren't exactly playing the 85 Bears, either.

It still blows my mind with how bad, unlucky, call it whatever, our teams have been these last couple of years. 

Does the reorganization on offense this offseason get us over that hump? Given recent history, probably not.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Caring what an anonymous B1G assistant coach has to say?......

Bizarre.

His comments are a little all over the place. Why should our players be questioning why Whipple wanted to come coach them? 

“If you’re a player, you’d have to think, ‘Why would Mark Whipple come to us after he just coached one of the best quarterbacks in the country?’ Just bizarre, to say the least.

Why Whipple decided to come here is a fair question, but it's not one that players need to worry about. He's a proven coach, I can't think of any bad reason he would come here from the players' perspective. 

And I get what he's trying to say here: 

“You can make the argument that they’re a long ways from being there, just because of the little things.”

However saying we're a long ways away but they are little things doesn't make sense. If you want to say we haven't proven we can fix the little things, that's also fair - but wouldn't be a long ways off, just ineptitude. 

• Plus1 4
38 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

His comments are a little all over the place. Why should our players be questioning why Whipple wanted to come coach them? 

Why Whipple decided to come here is a fair question, but it's not one that players need to worry about. He's a proven coach, I can't think of any bad reason he would come here from the players' perspective. 

And I get what he's trying to say here: 

However saying we're a long ways away but they are little things doesn't make sense. If you want to say we haven't proven we can fix the little things, that's also fair - but wouldn't be a long ways off, just ineptitude. 

It's clickbait trash.

.....anonymous clickbait trash at that.

Whipple came here because it's Nebraska and he got paid.  We want him because he's experienced, connected and has a good history with quarterbacks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

It's clickbait trash.

Yes, its clickbait trash and buried 3/4 the way through the article and the quotes are not promoted on any tweet sent by Sherman or the Athletic today.  Never mind that in each Athletic preview article there are quotes from an anonymous coaching opponent.

Just because its not something that you want to read doesn't mean that there are not truth in the comments.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes, its clickbait trash and buried 3/4 the way through the article and the quotes are not promoted on any tweet sent by Sherman or the Athletic today.  Never mind that in each Athletic preview article there are quotes from an anonymous coaching opponent.

Just because its not something that you want to read doesn't mean that there are not truth in the comments.

Then I guess there's not much "ouch" to it, eh?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do you think I was personally hurt by what he wrote?

I don't think many here have an Athletic subscription and found it interesting and decided to share it.  Sorry you were so offended by it.

It's no biggie.  An "ouch" to one is a "meh" to another.

Thought I'd share.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2022 at 9:13 AM, teachercd said:

Sip is usually pretty positive.  Maybe he is thinking that NU will get some breaks this year, they are due.

I know last year was crazy but how many of those losses "Should have" been wins?

MSU for sur

Minny?  I can't totally remember that one

What other games?

I think they should be a 9 win team next year.

Minnesota was awful.  So many opportunities.  Check out the 2nd half possessions.  Minnesota leading 21-9.  Not exactly rowing the boat.  Unless that means chew up the clock and play ugly.

2nd Half:

Minn - Throws interception
Neb - punt

Minn - Throws interception
Neb - Touchdown

Minn - punt
Neb - downs

Minn - punt
Neb - Missed FG (27 yard attempt)

Minn - punt
Neb - downs (1 yard line)

Minn - punt
Neb - Safety (2 pts for Minn)

Minn - Touchdown
Neb - Touchdown

Min - recovers onside kick - runs out the clock - end of game

• Haha 1

Iowa was the worst.  Just win these games instead of playing crappy, and it would be a good start.

Huskers leading 14-6 at intermission.

2nd half

Iowa - fumble
Neb - Touchdown

Iowa - FG
Neb - punt attempt blocked - Iowa returns for Touchdown

Neb - fumble

Iowa - punt
Neb - Safety (2pts for Iowa)

Iowa - FG
Neb - punt

Iowa - Touchdown (long run of course)
Neb - Throws Interception

Iowa - runs out clock - end of game

9 minutes ago, admo said:

Iowa was the worst.  Just win these games instead of playing crappy, and it would be a good start.

Huskers leading 14-6 at intermission.

2nd half

Iowa - fumble
Neb - Touchdown

Iowa - FG
Neb - punt attempt blocked - Iowa returns for Touchdown

Neb - fumble

Iowa - punt
Neb - Safety (2pts for Iowa)

Iowa - FG
Neb - punt

Iowa - Touchdown (long run of course)
Neb - Throws Interception

Iowa - runs out clock - end of game

The worst part about the Iowa game for me is even with the meltdown we could have won if we didn't drop interceptions on all 3 of their field goal drives before the 4th quarter. The defense played fairly well, but they just couldn't make the play and the offense totally disappeared. And obviously special teams was its usual self.

• Plus1 1

Michigan State - opportunities again.

Huskers trailing 13-10

2nd Half:

Neb - FG
MSU - punt

Neb - punt
MSU - punt

Neb - Fumble
MSU - punt

Neb - Touchdown
MSU - punt

Neb - punt - returned for MSU Touchdown

Neb - punt (2 mins left - 3 plays)
MSU - punt

Neb - :47 seconds left, end of game - tied

Overtime
Neb - Interception
MSU - Field Goal

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The worst part about the Iowa game for me is even with the meltdown we could have won if we didn't drop interceptions on all 3 of their field goal drives before the 4th quarter. The defense played fairly well, but they just couldn't make the play and the offense totally disappeared. And obviously special teams was its usual self.

Yep. 

And if you look at the Wisconsin game, it came down to 2 plays and terrible effort by the secondary. 

Wisconsin scored 28. 

TD on a KOR, and TD on a good drive by them. 

The other 2 touchdowns came on long run plays.  Huskers secondary, namely #5 and #4 - used more effort to avoid tackling the Badgers big running back in space, and it cost them the game.  Each time I watch those runs, I just feel bad for the rest of the team that were playing football out there.