Huskers Land TCU Transfer Ochaun Mathis

I just watched the Texas vs TCU last year to see Thomson and him. I came away kinda disappointed.  He missed 3-4 tackles and another TCU defender, Dylan Horter actually looked better that game.  He also had an sportsmanlike penalty and the next play Thomson threw a pick throwing into triple coverage. :facepalm:  All in all Thomson did fine though. The game was also a disappointing reminder we lost JD.  The game ended in a texas win (puke) from a TCU breakdown that was reminiscent of Nebraska with a comedy of errors complete with a special teams gaffe, too many turnovers and a questionable targeting call.  

TLDR I'm glad we got him cause we're thin, but I don't think he's the Randy Gregory some are making him out to be.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
16 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I just watched the Texas vs TCU last year to see Thomson and him. I came away kinda disappointed.  He missed 3-4 tackles and another TCU defender, Dylan Horter actually looked better that game.  He also had an sportsmanlike penalty and the next play Thomson threw a pick throwing into triple coverage. :facepalm:  All in all Thomson did fine though. The game was also a disappointing reminder we lost JD.  The game ended in a texas win (puke) from a TCU breakdown that was reminiscent of Nebraska with a comedy of errors complete with a special teams gaffe, too many turnovers and a questionable targeting call.  

TLDR I'm glad we got him cause we're thin, but I don't think he's the Randy Gregory some are making him out to be.  

He's not Randy Gregory, but he's better than what we had on the roster. Is he worth 600k?  Probably not.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

That would be wise. Gregory was a once in a generation freak. What you hope for is that Mathis provides enough attention to allow Nelson to increase his pass rushing production.

• Plus1 5

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I mean, really we stole Texas's lunch twice this year. Maybe that's how we really break the curse! :stir

Texas writers are taking it hard, lol. Here's a writer for the Texas SB Nation site:

• Oh Yeah! 5

If we win 6 games and he reportedly got $600k, that’s $100k per win just to Ochaun. 

if he has in those 6 wins, a couple games that his stats (and stats alone, not actual impact) aren’t great (zero sacks, 2 tackles, 1 penalty etc) do we get upset at college players who are making tons of money and don’t “produce”?? 

if he has amazing stats in losses are we happy with our ‘investment?’ 

this whole thing stinks. And it’s rotting from the head down. I’m glad we got a really good hopefully impactful player, but this is insane when you spin all the scenarios. 

May least someone didn’t pay Ewers $1M to never take one snap 

• Plus1 1

Greed.  Envy.  Etc.  This entire pay for play insanity will not lead to any ultimately positive outcomes.  The entire collegiate sports structure is in grave jeopardy already.  Without any rules or basic framework or structure, it is completely out of control. 

It’s not clear how programs and coaches will have much stability.  I don’t know how a coach will handle players and team chemistry when players are focused on their own interests and money, untethered to teams and on field success.  

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

this is a cut and paste team, so it is what it is.

This defines the new error of college football.  Pay for players and use the transfer portal.  Recruiting is easier now.  Hey kid, here's $500k. If someone outbids us let us know.  I know that this is an incredibly simplistic view, and that relationships matter (Applewhite), but the day of recruiting, developing and a kid waiting to play are over.