Huskers Land TCU Transfer Ochaun Mathis

12 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It will be interesting to see if we can get 20-30 sacks against OU and the B1G teams.  My impression is that we will be near the average of the B1G even with the nice additions.  I think we will look good against the other non-conference teams.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

It will be interesting to see if we can get 20-30 sacks against OU and the B1G teams.  My impression is that we will be near the average of the B1G even with the nice additions.  I think we will look good against the other non-conference teams.

I don't have a clue on what our sack numbers will be at but with adding all those additions plus Garrett Nelson evolving into a solid pass rusher i believe we could make a significant jump into the 30's or maybe better. I will say that i believe that Ochaun gets double digit sack numbers by the end of the season as long as injuries told get him. He is too athletic, plus he can just line up and go get the qb instead of reading the play and then reacting to try and get the qb. Adding Wynn and Drew was a great move/job by Nebraska to help relieve the pressure of opposing o-line packages to Ochaun side. It wouldn't make sense if they did that. Big bodies and quickness in the middle.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Does anyone else believe that he will have double digit sack totals by the end of the season or does everyone not have believe that there is a reason why he only got 4 sacks total last season regardless of what scheme he was used in???

He won't even get close

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Does anyone else believe that he will have double digit sack totals by the end of the season or does everyone not have believe that there is a reason why he only got 4 sacks total last season regardless of what scheme he was used in???

If he got 10 sacks, that would about 20th in ranking in the country.  Last year he ranked tied for #226 [of course playing mostly Big XII teams].

I think Nebraska was around 20 sacks, which is probably around 100th.  To get into the Top 50 you need 30 sacks a year and to get into the Top 20 you need around 40 sacks a year.

With the DL still being subpar and the pieces we lost on defense, the new influx will create hopefully some better numbers, if the equivalent numbers carry over.  My hope will be that the impact is felt in the B1G games.  Yet, my feeling is that we will be average against the B1G caliber teams.  The DL and OL model we have had in place just wasn't built to endure B1G play or the national stage.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It's fascinating to see that teams like Kentucky and Missouri  ranked #9 and #10 in the $EC with 29 sacks.  So, they were below average in the $EC with 29 sacks.  

If we could get to 30 sacks, it would help, but 35-40 is more of what is needed to put us in the Top 3-4 in the B1G.  Wisky had 39 last year.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

It's fascinating to see that teams like Kentucky and Missouri  ranked #9 and #10 in the $EC with 29 sacks.  So, they were below average in the $EC with 29 sacks.  

If we could get to 30 sacks, it would help, but 35-40 is more of what is needed to put us in the Top 3-4 in the B1G.  Wisky had 39 last year.

As has been said, it takes one great pass rusher to open it up for other defenders. I remember one game when Suh was being double team the whole game,  Crick had like five sacks. Crick was good, but Suh made him look better. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Pedro G said:

As has been said, it takes one great pass rusher to open it up for other defenders. I remember one game when Suh was being double team the whole game,  Crick had like five sacks. Crick was good, but Suh made him look better. 

Ya, so the interesting part is :bigredn: was around 100 in ranking.  TCU, who had Mathis, only had 15 sacks and had even less than us.  They were like 125th in the country with Mathis having 4 sacks.  The question now is if the BIG XII has better OL's then the B1G.  So, if one player can really make the difference, TCU didn't bode well last year and it will be tougher in the B1G [as I see it].  

We added other pieces so who knows.  But, I don't think we are going to be that much better on D, just a small bump of improvement to modest.  If its good to great then we will win 9-10 games for sure.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Do you have any idea how bad the rest of TCU's line was last year? The interior guys were dreadful, and Kahari Coleman the DE on the other side went down early with an injury and was never really 100%. Basically, Mathis was the only lineman that opponents had to worry about, so they just double & triple teamed him all day.

If the rest of our guys can hold up their end, Mathis will put up much bigger numbers this year.

• Oh Yeah! 3
43 minutes ago, Toe said:

Do you have any idea how bad the rest of TCU's line was last year? The interior guys were dreadful, and Kahari Coleman the DE on the other side went down early with an injury and was never really 100%. Basically, Mathis was the only lineman that opponents had to worry about, so they just double & triple teamed him all day.

If the rest of our guys can hold up their end, Mathis will put up much bigger numbers this year.

That was my believe but some Husker fans don't believe in SF and or the players he brought in so they see 4 sacks and say he sucks and see SF record and say he isn't going to develop or make him better. i say the he** with that thinking. Why even be a Husker fan if you don't believe in anything they are doing or who they bring in or what the players like Ochaun Mathis have done??!!!

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Ya, so the interesting part id :bigredn: was around 100 in ranking.  TCU, who had Mathis, only had 15 sacks and had even less than us.  They were like 125th in the country with Mathis having 4 sacks.  The question now is if the BIG XII has better OL's then the B1G.  So, if one player can really make the difference, TCU didn't bode well last year and it will be tougher in the B1G [as I see it].  

We added other pieces so who knows.  But, I don't think we are going to be that much better on D, just a small bump of improvement to modest.  If its good to great then we will win 9-10 games for sure.

The question then is will Nebraska have better interior DL than what TCU had? Will Nelson be better than average? Maybe. If that is the case, Mathis could make them all look better. If not, then, yes, it probably won’t make a big difference. I just hope the the two DLs from the transfer portal compliment Robinson well. I supposed we are rolling the dice some.