Huskers Land TCU Transfer Ochaun Mathis

7 hours ago, Pedro G said:

The question then is will Nebraska have better interior DL than what TCU had? Will Nelson be better than average? Maybe. If that is the case, Mathis could make them all look better. If not, then, yes, it probably won’t make a big difference. I just hope the the two DLs from the transfer portal compliment Robinson well. I supposed we are rolling the dice some. 

I think competition has to be accounted for.  Nebraska will face much better O-Line play on average than TCU did last year.  Mathis will make a difference and be a huge help if he stays healthy.  Predicting double digit sacks is a stretch though.  

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think competition has to be accounted for.  Nebraska will face much better O-Line play on average than TCU did last year.  Mathis will make a difference and be a huge help if he stays healthy.  Predicting double digit sacks is a stretch though.  

Im saying i believe his sack total could be 10 or close to 10. His end of the year total will be closer to 10 then 4 so that's what im basing my judgement on that if he is sitting at 8 or 9 with 2 or 3 games to go then he has a shot. Also anybody going out on a limb here and saying he will be all conference or way to early lol?

• Haha 2
36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think it's pretty difficult to compare his stats last year to what he will do this year.  Everything has changed.  Totally new team, different schemes, completely different competition.

However, with him, I think it's more appropriate to compare last year's D line to this year's D line at Nebraska.  I believe there's reasons to think it could be improved with the new additions.  If the interior stays at the same level, a player like this can make a difference in improvement.  That will also help Nelson on the other side.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:01 AM, Decked said:

One things for sure: Nebraska is not the NIL wimp a lot of people on here proclaimed it as. NIL/facility combo is huge. I can only imagine what we could pump out if we weren’t building a giant sports complex at the moment. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  NIL is a big benefit to Nebraska's deep pockets as an advantage.  I hope more Nebraska fans embrace the change because it will help the school get back to winning.  A lot of player payments happened prior across the CFB landscape it just wasn't legal.

• Plus1 1

I think DONU needs both new facilities and lots of NIL cash to buy players.  It’s got be done now.  Other program got caught behind but by next year, the real auction $$$$ will be everywhere.  Better load up with some cash bought walkons too!   Let’s add about 25 more this summer and fall.  Best team money can buy.  

On 6/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

What????? Can you please give me a good reason why you don't think he will come close to 10 sacks?? Different league, not good enough ability wise, SF sucks at developing something?????

Better linemen in the big ten.  And no he is not good enough.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

I can agree with you on there are better lineman in the big 10 but to say he isn't good enough i can't agree. Yes 4 sacks isn't a lot but he was still voted all big 12 second team for 2 years and that mean's something. I think he will do a outstanding job this upcoming season and could show people like you that doubt him why he is good enough.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

First statement is correct imo.  Whether he is good enough remains to be seen.  A pile of coaches who can evaluate better than the members of this board can thought he was sure good enough to pursue though.    

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

You need speed on defense, especially to get sacks.  Get LBs and safeties to cover and chase so chunk plays dont become TDs, open field tacklers is critical.  DL got to create a pile up in the run at the LOS or even better behind it sometimes.  Put your best athletes on defense if you’re short on those types.  We need ‘the Blackshirts’ back.  

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

First statement is correct imo.  Whether he is good enough remains to be seen.  A pile of coaches who can evaluate better than the members of this board can thought he was sure good enough to pursue though.    

Our coaches evaluation techniques have been incredibly under whelming, their hit ratio is beyond terrible.  The record shows that, and no we weren't better then our record. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Ok. What about all the other programs that wanted him?  They all underwhelming evaluators as well?

It's not that simple.  It's largely a supply and demand issue at certain positions in the portal,  like edge.  Everyone will throw their hat in that ring for anyone with potential, as that's a position that can play huge dividends if you hit and almost every team need help there.   We got lucky to get help, but people expecting him to approach the play of a Randy Gregory aren't being fair to the kid.  Tempered expectations are in order, for Mathis and for any transfers. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, runningblind said:

It's not that simple.  It's largely a supply and demand issue at certain positions in the portal,  like edge.  Everyone will throw their hat in that ring for anyone with potential, as that's a position that can play huge dividends if you hit and almost every team need help there.   We got lucky to get help, but people expecting him to approach the play of a Randy Gregory aren't being fair to the kid.  Tempered expectations are in order, for Mathis and for any transfers. 

Well it isnt that he has potential it the fact that he is proven. Now if your going to say different competition bc now he is playing in the big 10 instead of the big 12 that's understandable but to say he isnt good enough that isn't right and nobody on this board has even mention that he is the next Randy Gregory the question i had is do you believe with his ability he can get double digit sacks. I believe yes as long as everyone stays healthy who knows what he is going to do. All i know is that he has more upside then what we had last year and no offense to Ben Stille he played to his ability that's all you can ask for.

When you say someone isn't good enough your pretty much saying he sucks and me and a whole lot of people don't believe that he does bc of what he has done in college. His 4 sacks last year doesn't mean he sucks it means that he was triple teamed and a lot of teams game planned for him bc TCU had nobody else like him with his skill set. He even talked about how he had to read the play first and then react instead of just going and rushing the qb. Different scheme that's why he isn't at TCU anymore bc he felt that he wasn't being fully maximized to the best of his ability.

• Plus1 1