Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Majority draft leaked to Political shows that RvW has been overturned. Judge A writing the opinion notes that R v W was constitutionally flawed and that this issue should be returned to the people and their representatives.  I agree with that reasoning. It will be up to each state to decide. The draft also notes that from an historical perspective, the right to abortion was never apart of our history until the court ruled for such a right in 1973

Please note that this is in the draft stage and won’t be official until the ruling is formally given by the court. Juvtices have change their vote before but most likely not in this case 

• Plus1 1

• TGHusker changed the title to Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s going to be interesting to see what affect this has on the mid terms. 

The Dems now have a motivating topic to rally around and divert attention away from the economy 

Also state elections for state legislatures and governors have just become very important 

Eventually there may be an effort to amend the constitution itself to restore abortion nation wide — thus senate races will take on even more value 

10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Majority draft leaked to Political shows that RvW has been overturned. Judge A writing the opinion notes that R v W was constitutionally flawed and that this issue should be returned to the people and their representatives.  I agree with that reasoning. It will be up to each state to decide. The draft also notes that from an historical perspective, the right to abortion was never apart of our history until the court ruled for such a right in 1973

Please note that this is in the draft stage and won’t be official until the ruling is formally given by the court. Juvtices have change their vote before but most likely not in this case 

Many things were never a part of our history until they were; a few examples being women having the right to vote, gays being allowed to marry, and African Americans counting for more than 3/5ths of a person. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Roe v. Wade has always been a political hot button, but what is the impetus of this being potentially overturned, other than the SC having a super majority of conservative judges?  This seems to be coming out of left field. 

I haven't read up on it enough.  But, the little I have seems to indicate the argument is that the original argument for Roe vs. Wade was flawed.  Now, I don't know exactly what they mean by that.

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Roe v. Wade is not the only thing on the table here. 

The tangled web of unintended consequences (or perhaps intended consequences).   Regardless, this decision will be debated and fought over for decades just like the original decision.   

Asking to help my knowledge on the subject….

I take the opinion as it’s not making abortion illegal, but throwing the decision back to each individual state to decide, or I think Congress could implement abortion legislation nationwide by passing a bill through both sides and getting a Presidential signature?   Am I on the correct thinking track here?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Asking to help my knowledge on the subject….

I take the opinion as it’s not making abortion illegal, but throwing the decision back to each individual state to decide, or I think Congress could implement abortion legislation nationwide by passing a bill through both sides and getting a Presidential signature?   Am I on the correct thinking track here?

That's the way I understand it.  I read last night that right now, if this decision goes through, about half the states have stuff on the books that would ban abortions.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Many things were never a part of our history until they were; a few examples being women having the right to vote, gays being allowed to marry, and African Americans counting for more than 3/5ths of a person. 

that is true.  I think that is the weaker part of his argument.   I think the stronger argument is that this was a state issue to decide and that the flaw in the original argument was that the 14th amendment has nothing to do wt abortion and that the 'right' of an abortion was pulled out of the air using the language of the 14th as evidence of its existence.