Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, admo said:

Why the big deal on abortion, pro life vs pro choice?

We should focus every day on the US economy, inflation, Putin, the green new deal, fuel & grocery prices, Covid, the American people, jobs/employment, fracking, immigration, helping the poor and our communities.  

Seems like a diversion from everything we should be on top of.  

Virtually all societal and political issues are relative. Plus, R's and D's know it's something that riles up their collective bases more than something like fracking.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, admo said:

Why the big deal on abortion, pro life vs pro choice?

We should focus every day on the US economy, inflation, Putin, the green new deal, fuel & grocery prices, Covid, the American people, jobs/employment, fracking, immigration, helping the poor and our communities.  

Seems like a diversion from everything we should be on top of.  

Maybe it shouldn't be a big deal. But it obviously is. I would argue that abortion rights are the biggest source of single-issue voters, and has been tipping elections for years. i.e. the people with regressive views on abortion are deciding the other issues you cite.

Encouraged though to see you advocating for the Green New Deal, helping the poor and presumably against fracking. We have definitely not been on top of that, dating back to well before last week's Supreme Court leak.

Protests at the SCOTUS houses and elsewhere. Anyone else have a feeling this is going to end badly?  I think I am OK with legislating abortion. It will be a few years of pain, but maybe we will come to a middle ground like Europe …13 weeks or something like that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

For reference, America is FAR more radical than just about every single European country on abortion:

20220504_164122.thumb.jpg.796113f37314928227698b9901eeae24.jpg

Most advanced democracies have been codifying and safeguarding access to abortion over the past few decades, ensuring a woman's right to healthcare and control over her own body. Even deeply religious Mexico has more liberal access to abortion than America. 

Kinda weird that America should be so backwards, but here we are. 

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Most advanced democracies have been codifying and safeguarding access to abortion over the past few decades, ensuring a woman's right to healthcare and control over her own body. Even deeply religious Mexico has more liberal access to abortion than America. 

Kinda weird that America should be so backwards, but here we are. 

Would you be okay with that safeguard having limits? Something between 1-20 weeks? 

(I would prefer 1-16)

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Would you be okay with that safeguard having limits? Something between 1-20 weeks? 

(I would prefer 1-16)

Certainly. I think there's only a small fraction of people who don't think there should be limits. I agree with between 1-20 weeks, with exceptions for DNCs or other medical complications threatening the life of the mother or the baby. Most people are in that camp, I think. 

I think Nebraska is currently at 22 weeks? 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Certainly. I think there's only a small fraction of people who don't think there should be limits. I agree with between 1-20 weeks, with exceptions for DNCs or other medical complications threatening the life of the mother or the baby. Most people are in that camp, I think. 

I believe that figure is correct, and I have seen more and more references to viability improving dramatically after 22 weeks.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep, outside of an extremely small minority even the most ardent pro-choice people have no problems with limits on the timeline.

@ActualCornHusker's graphic is true, but fails to contextualize the other side of things. America is a country of radical people and ideas in both directions - while we (currently) have some of the most lax abortion laws, we also have some of the most extreme fervor against comprehensive sex education, access to contraceptives and related healthcare, etc.

Somewhere within 12-23 weeks is the sensible, smart, safe and just place to land. Places like Texas are absolutely barbaric and horrendous in how little of a window they give to women.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I would be OK with some type of ban after around week 20.  That gives the woman time to realize she's pregnant and make a decision.  If it's something like rape, honestly, I don't understand why they don't give a morning after pill right away.  I know there's a lot of emotions at that point.  But, if they are in the hospital being examined, why not suggest it?  Anything after 20 weeks, there would have to be a process to go through for it be allowed with parameters

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be OK with some type of ban after around week 20.  That gives the woman time to realize she's pregnant and make a decision.  If it's something like rape, honestly, I don't understand why they don't give a morning after pill right away.  I know there's a lot of emotions at that point.  But, if they are in the hospital being examined, why not suggest it?  Anything after 20 weeks, there would have to be a process to go through for it be allowed with parameters

Yeah, I’m pretty strongly anti-abortion but even I am good up to the 18-20 week range. After 20 probably needs to be reserved for cases where the mother’s health or life are in danger or there is clearly something wrong with the fetus.

I know the whole issue is driven by religious zealots and the whole political wedge thing but it seems the vast majority agree with us. Only the whackos want it less than the first trimester or up until birth. The American people need to quit electing whackos, primarily because they support radical judges.

• Plus1 2