Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's another idea to save lives if it's more than just virtue signaling.  Will the pro-lifers in the GQP get on board with this?  Of course not because it's not really about saving lives it's about control.

Screenshot_20220521-085626.png

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, JJ Husker said:

I’m Catholic and there is plenty I don’t agree with the church about. Abortion is sort of one of those issues. I say sort of because I’m opposed to late term abortions but I would allow them in the first trimester and for rape, incest and health of the mother. Where the church loses me is that they are opposed to abortion in almost all situations AND they also are opposed to many types of birth control. I think it’s a bit delusional and out of touch to oppose both things. I’ve never been fond of the church, any church, refusing Holy Communion, especially for political issues. I’ve always felt the church should assist people with their faith and understanding rather than interfering and judging. I’m pretty sure someone vastly more important than them will ultimately provide any judgement that’s needed.

I’m not alone. There are huge numbers of Catholics that don’t necessarily agree with all the churches positions and teachings. All churches are run by humans with manmade constructs. I guess we pick one we are comfortable with and agree with the major things and go our own way on the things we disagree with.

Yep. 

I’m catholic too. I have a real problem with the church making decisions like this when it’s God who ultimately should be judging. 

The church should be fostering their faith. 

If they are going to ban people from communion because of sin, they could save a lot of money and time because nobody would be able to take communion. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep. 

I’m catholic too. I have a real problem with the church making decisions like this when it’s God who ultimately should be judging. 

If they are going to ban people from communion because of sin, they could save a lot of money and time because nobody would be able to take communion. 

Maybe you’re on to something. We could get mass down to 20 to 25 minutes tops :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with your first sentence but to be clear the second paragraph isn’t the church talking about just any sin.   If you talked about banning people from communion who advocate for the death penalty, that would be a better talking point.  

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with your first sentence but to be clear the second paragraph isn’t the church talking about just any sin.   If you talked about banning people from communion who advocate for the death penalty, that would be a better talking point.  

So now you want churches, run by men, to determine the severity of sins and to punish people for them? Advocating for abortion ranks where on God’s scale of sins? Where does voting for democrats rank? Surely that must be a lot graver sin than voting republican. I’m sure in some people’s book it’s probably as bad or worse than actual murder.

I’m for a bit simpler and fairer solution. How about we let God settle it, because he’s going to anyway and, if sins and their degrees actually matter to you, he knows what’s in people’s hearts and will make the correct judgement. And maybe churches should stay the hell out of politics completely or start paying taxes.

• Plus1 5
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So now you want churches, run by men, to determine the severity of sins and to punish people for them?

Killing other humans has always been a mortal sin as long as I’ve known.  

14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Advocating for abortion ranks where on God’s scale of sins?

From the bishop’s stance it’s seems see the above.

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Where does voting for democrats rank?

I don’t know.  Maybe you can provide insight to how the Church feels about that.  I’ve never been taught.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Killing other humans has always been a mortal sin as long as I’ve known.  

From the bishop’s stance it’s seems see the above.

I don’t know.  Maybe you can provide insight to how the Church feels about that.  I’ve never been taught.

I may be strange but I feel better leaving sin and it’s severity and punishment up to God.

Here some insight on how one church would handle it.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I may be strange but I feel better leaving sin and it’s severity and punishment up to God.

Doesn’t make you strange IMO.  Just someone who has a different opinion on the situation.  Also doesn’t mean your opinion is necessarily wrong either.  Just different than how the church interprets it I guess 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had a thought about todays ruling.

Could this actually backfire on Republicans?  Like really badly?

The issue of abortion is actually going to matter now; it’s no longer an empty “pro choice” vs “pro life”.  Politicians will have to develop actual policy that voters like.

If most Americans support abortions before 12 weeks, and in cases of incest, rape, and health of the mother, the GOP can’t actually talk the big game any more.  They will actually have to scale back on the anti-choice rhetoric.

My gut says, so I’m probably wrong, that this actually opens the door for Dems to campaign on “sensible” abortion laws and expanding social programs for new and expectant families.  Dems might actually be positioned better moving forward because they are no longer having to defend Roe vs Wade.

Am I crazy?

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If most Americans support abortions before 12 weeks, and in cases of incest, rape, and health of the mother, the GOP can’t actually talk the big game any more.

Don't hold your breath. Most Americans support things like single-payer healthcare and common sense gun control measures, and the GOP doesn't give a s#!t.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't hold your breath. Most Americans support things like single-payer healthcare and common sense gun control measures, and the GOP doesn't give a s#!t.

I agree.  But many “Christian” voters voted to have Roe vs Wade overturned and plugged their noses at the rest (as people in my life have said).  Now that it’s gone, the GOP lost their biggest carrot used to lead the donkeys!