Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, nic said:

ROE went to 26 or 27 weeks right?... Then let the states decide from there? Some went pretty far north of 26. RNG said the ruling was precarious the way it was handed down.

No. The original ruling was based on trimesters. First trimester states couldn't place any restrictions. Second they could place reasonable health restrictions. And third they could ban it so long as there were exceptions for life and health of the mother. Planned Parenthood v. Casey changed that frame work to fetal viability instead of trimester restrictions, which allowed restrictions on abortion during the first trimester.

So, we basically started out with the compromise everyone wants now, but it was whittled away until we got to where we are today. To me the biggest problem with the original ruling is that it wasn't codified into law by Congress, so it was on perilous ground all along. 

It sounds like yourself and almost everyone in this thread (minus one or two) are in complete agreement. Make it law through the legislative process, and make it a compromise like we originally had. Unfortunately there is no compromise with the current GOP...

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, knapplc said:

This. This. This.

Just stop voting Republican as long as they continue with this s#!t. 

Regular Americans were fine with the abortion compromise. No one was happy but we weren't marching in the streets. They are stirring this s#!t up 50 years after Roe to drive wedges between us.

It's pretty hard breaking away from a cult, though. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

She is the Dave Chappell of liberal abortion jokes!  

You should hear her bit on adoption....soooooo funny!

You are right. That makes more sense now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

No. The original ruling was based on trimesters. First trimester states couldn't place any restrictions. Second they could place reasonable health restrictions. And third they could ban it so long as there were exceptions for life and health of the mother. Planned Parenthood v. Casey changed that frame work to fetal viability instead of trimester restrictions, which allowed restrictions on abortion during the first trimester.

So, we basically started out with the compromise everyone wants now, but it was whittled away until we got to where we are today. To me the biggest problem with the original ruling is that it wasn't codified into law by Congress, so it was on perilous ground all along. 

It sounds like yourself and almost everyone in this thread (minus one or two) are in complete agreement. Make it law through the legislative process, and make it a compromise like we originally had. Unfortunately there is no compromise with the current GOP...

There will be...eventually. we are just going to start over and lose 50 years of wondering off course.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Remember when the Republicans rammed Gorsuch and ACB into the court and we said they were going to end Roe, and we got this kind of response?

Lightfoot is right. Obergefell is next. 

Lightfoot is a dolt for many reasons and policy choices. The fact she rightly predicted that RvW would get overturned doesn't  begin to change my mind. I will give that one. Congrats to her.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

Lightfoot is a dolt for many reasons and policy choices. The fact she rightly predicted that RvW would get overturned doesn't  begin to change my mind. I will give that one. Congrats to her.

Agreed, actually. I'm no fan of hers, but she happens to be right about this specific thing. Calling her a dolt for that tweet (and claiming it's inciting violence??!?! @DevoHusker ) is mistaken - in this instance.

Let's just skip over the fact that women aren't sea turtles, birds, or other nonmammalian things, or that such things are not punished if they destroy their own eggs but it appears he's setting up the logic for a ban on contraception.  Gotta protect those eggs, right?  Oh wait, he's probably not bright enough to think that far ahead.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Let's just skip over the fact that women aren't sea turtles, birds, or other nonmammalian things, or that such things are not punished if they destroy their own eggs but it appears he's setting up the logic for a ban on contraception.  Gotta protect those eggs, right?  Oh wait, he's probably not bright enough to think that far ahead.

I’m so f#&%ing tired of the stupid. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1