Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I just had a thought about todays ruling.

Could this actually backfire on Republicans?  Like really badly?

The issue of abortion is actually going to matter now; it’s no longer an empty “pro choice” vs “pro life”.  Politicians will have to develop actual policy that voters like.

If most Americans support abortions before 12 weeks, and in cases of incest, rape, and health of the mother, the GOP can’t actually talk the big game any more.  They will actually have to scale back on the anti-choice rhetoric.

My gut says, so I’m probably wrong, that this actually opens the door for Dems to campaign on “sensible” abortion laws and expanding social programs for new and expectant families.  Dems might actually be positioned better moving forward because they are no longer having to defend Roe vs Wade.

Am I crazy?

No you’re not.  The Dem’s error ( in an electoral way) by no longer appealing to the moderates.   For better or for worse, but sometimes to their own peril, they give a voice for the LGBT for example, which most Americans, IMO struggle to identify with.  So they definitely could take a more moderate approach here and risk alienating the far left—but I’m not holding my breath. 

On 5/23/2022 at 5:05 PM, Archy1221 said:

Killing other humans has always been a mortal sin as long as I’ve known.  

From the bishop’s stance it’s seems see the above.

I don’t know.  Maybe you can provide insight to how the Church feels about that.  I’ve never been taught.

It is a different analysis. The Catholic Church permits the death penalty when it is necessary.  A common example is where there are no reasonably stable prisons to protect the people from the criminal.  So Catholic death penalty supporters say they are making a policy choice.  That jurisprudence does not really apply to abortion.  

32 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I just had a thought about todays ruling.

Could this actually backfire on Republicans?  Like really badly?

The issue of abortion is actually going to matter now; it’s no longer an empty “pro choice” vs “pro life”.  Politicians will have to develop actual policy that voters like.

Am I crazy?

1. I doubt it. I am actually hoping the Ds run on the abortion platform and alienate the abuelas. 

2. Good thing the 5th amendment actually is in the Constitution.  

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It is a different analysis. The Catholic Church permits the death penalty when it is necessary.  A common example is where there are no reasonably stable prisons to protect the people from the criminal.  So Catholic death penalty supporters say they are making a policy choice.  That jurisprudence does not really apply to abortion.  

1. I doubt it. I am actually hoping the Ds run on the abortion platform and alienate the abuelas. 

2. Good thing the 5th amendment actually is in the Constitution.  

Putin let you out of the aquarium before midnight?  Wow!  Going to eat the good flies tonight, aren’t ya!

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Oh @funhusker  I forgot to add that I am here because my Facebook friends are utterly uninterested in today''s decision.  There is only some tweet embeds from the usual suspects of people who politard all day long.  Part of this is because 'the leaker' inoculated America to the news.  I imagine it would be quite different if this dropped out of blue. 

So while it will head the ticket at D fundraisers, I don't think anyone will change his vote because of this. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Oh @funhusker  I forgot to add that I am here because my Facebook friends are utterly uninterested in today''s decision.  There is only some tweet embeds from the usual suspects of people who politard all day long.  Part of this is because 'the leaker' inoculated America to the news.  I imagine it would be quite different if this dropped out of blue. 

So while it will head the ticket at D fundraisers, I don't think anyone will change his vote because of this. 

Oh.  So “Christian” voters truly are all talk and about appearances.  I guess I just hoped for better.

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Now that Roe v Wade is overturned and the “mission accomplished”, why would a “Christian” not vote to promote healthcare and reduce gun violence?

@Notre Dame Joe this question require no research.  What do you think?

For someone spending time here to see reactions, you sure disappeared pretty quickly!

must be feeding time…

2 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Question I am posing on other fora,   would you support a state law that required a woman to demonstrate good cause before it might issue her an abortion permit?

Going guns on us? You have no idea how transparent you are, do you?

• Haha 1