** 2022 Opponent Previews : Illinois (Game 8) **

2 hours ago, admo said:

Last year Illinois kicked us in the nuts and stole our lunch money!

Screw them!  It's payback time, and pay back is a b!^@h!!!!!! :w00t :w00t:w00t  :rickjames

This year will probably be worse -- IL has too many offensive playmakers for our beloved Huskers D, and the IL defense is stout and getting better every game.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, The Whale said:

This year will probably be worse -- IL has too many offensive playmakers for our beloved Huskers D, and the IL defense is stout and getting better every game.

I just don’t see them improving that much. They haven’t proved themselves that much against a big pass play offense. The only pass first team they have played (Indiana) they lost to. Their DBs have high ratings because they don’t have to make play after play when they face the run. They just have to make a play once in a while while they have full energy because they are not often targeted. I’d like to see a heavy air attack by NU to test these DBs. Get the ball out quick (don’t trust OL) and make the DBs tackle in space. I think this game will be high-scoring. Both teams will score at least 24 imo.

My Prediction: 34-30 NU, with a 10 point Husker lead held in the 4th Q (something XHCSF could not do)

• Oh Yeah! 2
On 10/21/2022 at 6:54 PM, admo said:

Cool.  Do yall feel like yall gon win this game?

Just curious..

I think we have a chance but I take nothing fir granted.  At Nebraska, you guys habe talent and a raucous home crowd, and we’re due for a bad game.  Plus when everyone is singing your praises, it’s easy for college players to complacent.    So I am nervous.

on a side note, when I encounter Nebraska fans, either at football games or more often at volleyball games, y’all are so polite and courteous.  You’re easily my favorite opposing fan base.

looking forward to a good game Saturday.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, James_bebes said:

I think we have a chance but I take nothing fir granted.  At Nebraska, you guys habe talent and a raucous home crowd, and we’re due for a bad game.  Plus when everyone is singing your praises, it’s easy for college players to complacent.    So I am nervous.

on a side note, when I encounter Nebraska fans, either at football games or more often at volleyball games, y’all are so polite and courteous.  You’re easily my favorite opposing fan base.

looking forward to a good game Saturday.

Nice of you to say 

I think Illinois will bring the noise... should be fun game

If we won't win the West this year I hope yall do

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

For what it's worth, they face the 7th fewest plays of any time which does help drive down the YPG totals. Buuut, they give up the fewest yards per play (3.8) so it really doesn't matter - they are top tier no matter how you slice it.

I'm not a huge believer in needing to control the ball, but they do it incredibly well. Their yards per carry and per pass attempt are mediocre, but they complete 70% of their passes and run 77 plays. They're only defending 58 plays per game and shutting people down when they get to 3rd down. Gotta make our possessions count and get some disruptive plays on defense. They haven't had to play from behind.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well, if our offense has any pride and motivation, this is the game to prove they can go against a good defense and still produce.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

For what it's worth, they face the 7th fewest plays of any time which does help drive down the YPG totals. Buuut, they give up the fewest yards per play (3.8) so it really doesn't matter - they are top tier no matter how you slice it.

Those two statistics would go hand in hand, I would think.  If the defense isn't giving up many yards, then they are going to get off the field and not face many plays.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, if our offense has any pride and motivation, this is the game to prove they can go against a good defense and still produce.

Those two statistics would go hand in hand, I would think.  If the defense isn't giving up many yards, then they are going to get off the field and not face many plays.

Right, I was just hoping the yards per game ranking was almost entirely due to the relatively few plays - but they are great on a per play basis too. For example, Minnesota is 12th in YPG allowed but 32nd in yards per play - so I'm more hopeful in that game that our offense could exploit some things in that game. You can hurt their defense if you can get your own defense off the field. For Illinois not only do you have to get their offense off the field, their defense is excellent so it's tough to keep it that way.

• 4 weeks later...