** 2022 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 9) **

6 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

The OC coached at Rutgers before coaching at Minny. He is just returning since the job opened up.

Ciarrocca coached at Rutgers 10 years ago.

He was Fleck's OC at Western Michigan and followed him to Minny in 2017.  Left to be Penn St OC in 2020 and Franklin kicked him to the curb after 1 year.  He spent 2021 as an analyst at West Virginia and then was reunited with Fleck as OC in 2022.

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Fru said:

So they’ve lost their OC to Rutgers, DL to Purdue, and their CB to Wisconsin.

3 lateral, in conference moves. Definitely seems like something is going on up there.

I wish it was a sign that they are imploding, but I don't think it is. Fleck has to be exhausting to work for, but he's proven to be a solid coach and he'll find plenty of up-and-comers willing to coach there. 

Ciarrocca I would totally believe is just tired of Fleck and wants more freedom. I don't think he's a "shorten the game" OC at heart, and that is the game plan Fleck wants. He came back to resurrect his career after bombing at Penn State, but I don't think he loves it there and I'm not surprised he's gone. The other two are both going to work under old buddies so nothing crazy there. That happens all the time, and if it's a position coach it's whatever.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, RedDenver said:

Haha, I'm a dumbass. Should have realized you meant CB coach.

I feel like this applies to most of us on here. Perhaps we should all have this quoted in our signature blocks on here, it would give proper context to our posts above it. 

• Haha 1
On 1/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, Husker in WI said:

I wish it was a sign that they are imploding, but I don't think it is. Fleck has to be exhausting to work for, but he's proven to be a solid coach and he'll find plenty of up-and-comers willing to coach there. 

Ciarrocca I would totally believe is just tired of Fleck and wants more freedom. I don't think he's a "shorten the game" OC at heart, and that is the game plan Fleck wants. He came back to resurrect his career after bombing at Penn State, but I don't think he loves it there and I'm not surprised he's gone. The other two are both going to work under old buddies so nothing crazy there. That happens all the time, and if it's a position coach it's whatever.

True, Fleck has proven to be a solid HC for sure, as much as I hate admitting that. That being said, Minny's offenses after Ciarrocca left the first time after 2019 seemed to struggle, their PPG declined YoY in 2020 and 2021, or at least Tanner Morgan really struggled. Fleck made it a point to hire Ciarrocca back last offseason and their offense improved, not a coincidence I don't think. I believe that this sneakily is a pretty big hire for Fleck, I will be very curious to see how their offense fares over the next 2 seasons. 

Minnesota Offense PPG by Season

2022 PPG - 28.2 (Ciarrocca was OC)

2021 PPG - 25.5

2020 PPG - 27.3

2019 PPG - 34.1 (Ciarrocca was OC)

2018 PPG - 28.9 (Ciarrocca was OC)

2017 PPG - 22.1 (Ciarrocca was OC, first year for Fleck and Co at Minny)

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Maybe PJ is going to Michigan and his guys know it?  

That would be an interesting hire by UM. I am not sure I see the fit though, part of Fleck’s deal is his culture brand that he makes sure is outwardly in everyone’s face and he doesn’t back down from it either. I don’t see UM allowing him to mess with the UM brand/logo like he has done at Minny. Does he have other tricks in his bag to instill a culture other than over the top marketing & communication?