** 2022 Opponent Previews : Wisconsin (Game 11) **

The Athletic: Wisconsin’s offense needed a reset — Will it be enough to get the Badgers back to Indy?

When Paul Chryst took stock of Wisconsin’s football program in early January, the Badgers’ head coach was forced to confront some uncomfortable truths about where his team had been relative to where he wanted it to go. Wisconsin had finished the 2021 campaign with a 9-4 record and a victory against Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl. It was the type of season many college football teams might strive to achieve but one that highlighted how far the Badgers were from taking the next step toward consistent competitiveness for Big Ten championships.

https://theathletic.com/3301819/2022/05/12/wisconsins-offense-needed-a-reset-will-it-be-enough-to-get-the-badgers-back-to-indy/?source=emp-shared-article

HuskerOnline: Wisconsin 2022 Spring Preview

“I think this is probably about an eight- or nine-win Wisconsin team, and any time you’re around there, you’re going to have a shot at making it to Indianapolis for the Big Ten title game. That’s just the way the divisions have played out.

“So I feel like Wisconsin will absolutely be in the mix for the Big Ten title conversation because they do play in the Big Ten West.

“I think the offensive line will be improved; they should be able to run the football, and they have a better set of receivers than they did a year ago. The defense lost some guys, but they reloaded, and I think they should be good, too.

“That’s why a lot of that will ride on what Graham Mertz is able to do. I’m looking at this as maybe a two or three-loss team, and maybe when all is said and done, they finish 9-3. That’s what I’ll say right now.”

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-review-wisconsin

Athlon: #19 Wisconsin Preview & Prediction

This is a make-or-break season for Mertz, and it marks a turning point for the program as well. A strong season in the new offense could mean one more year of an improved Mertz, while another year of struggles would likely mean finding a new signal-caller.

The defense might not be as good from the first snap as it was last year, but it should get up to speed quickly and be able to keep UW in every game.

UW hasn't won a Big Ten title since 2012, but this year's team has the talent to find itself competing for one if the QB plays to his potential.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/wisconsin-football-badgers-prediction-preview-2022

CollegeFootballNews: Wisconsin Preview & Prediction

It’s sort of hard to get too down on a program for being disappointing after a 9-4 season with a bowl victory, but it’s time to get back to owning the Big Ten West again before 1) the divisions go away, or 2) change, and 3) USC and UCLA join the party. There will be a great ground game, the defense will be a rock, and the passing attack will be just fine for what the offense needs it to do. The team has to win the home games and it’s got be rolling in November. The Badgers get three nice tune-up games in Illinois State, Washington State, and New Mexico State before the Big Ten opener at Ohio State. Win that, and it’s Game On, but that’s obviously a tough way to start. It also kicks off a run of three road games in the first four conference weeks. Throw into the mix a road date at Michigan State followed up by a home game against a dangerous Purdue squad, and there are landmines to sidestep. Getting an extra week off before the Maryland game is big, especially with at Iowa, at Nebraska, and Minnesota to close.Budget in a loss to the Buckeyes, and at least one loss among the road games at Michigan State, Iowa, and Nebraska. There’s a shot at ten wins, and nothing less than a spot in the Big Ten Championship is okay. It’ll all come down to those final three games.

SET THE WISCONSIN BADGERS REGULAR SEASON WIN TOTAL AT … 8.5

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/07/wisconsin-badgers-preview-2022-season-prediction-breakdown-key-games-players/4

Wisconsin 2022 Preview | Offense, Defense Breakdown | Keys To The Season | Wisconsin Top 10 Players | Wisconsin Schedule & Analysis

More to come...

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I find this interesting.  I've always felt that the key to Wisconsin being so consistent and tough to beat is because of the offense with big/great O lines and the style offense they ran. Now, they think they need to remake their offense.  This has been that way since Alvarez was coaching and every coach has pretty much kept the same type of system.

Now, Alvarez is gone as AD.  I can't read the article to see what changes they are actually making.  But, this has the potential to screw up what has made them good.....if done wrong.

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find this interesting.  I've always felt that the key to Wisconsin being so consistent and tough to beat is because of the offense with big/great O lines and the style offense they ran. Now, they think they need to remake their offense.  This has been that way since Alvarez was coaching and every coach has pretty much kept the same type of system.

Now, Alvarez is gone as AD.  I can't read the article to see what changes they are actually making.  But, this has the potential to screw up what has made them good.....if done wrong.

Agree that they have to be careful with how much they tweak things. If they get into the game of trying to recruit certain kids to accommodate their offense it could be tough sledding. The more they become like everyone else, the less of an edge they'll have.

I think the key is, that they have to figure out some sort of passing game. It was bad, like real bad the last two seasons. And if they don't figure it out to at least have some semblance of a downfield, threat, the better teams can load up on them.

Key stat to know: Wisconsin struggled to effectively stretch the field last season, although it wasn’t for a lack of trying. In all, 25.8 percent of Wisconsin’s pass attempts were thrown to targets at least 15 yards downfield, which ranked 39th in the FBS, per Pro Football Focus. However, the Badgers ranked 114th nationally in pass efficiency on such throws (131.5).

Why does that matter? Of the 16 FBS teams that were worse in pass efficiency, only one of them finished with a winning record.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Please let Wisconsin blow up their tried and true offense that has ran over us for years for a pass happy offense.  

They would be incredibly stupid to change too much.  Every offseason I marvel at their stats against us. 10 B1G games now and they have averaged 307 rushing yards per game.  That's just ridiculous.

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

They would be incredibly stupid to change too much.  Every offseason I marvel at their stats against us. 10 B1G games now and they have averaged 307 rushing yards per game.  That's just ridiculous.

Last year was the first they didn't get over 300 yards since frost took over.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Last year was the first they didn't get over 300 yards since frost took over.

And it was also the worst performance by yards/carry.  

2018 - 48 / 377 / 7.7 ypc (Taylor 24 / 221 / 9.2 ypc)

2019 - 45 / 320 / 7.1 ypc (Taylor 25 / 204 / 8.2 ypc)

2020 - Covid'd

2021 - 31 / 260 / 8.1 ypc (Allen 22 / 228 / 10.4 ypc)

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...