** 2022 Opponent Previews : Wisconsin (Game 11) **

The thing is they had a pretty strong defense last year and we tore it apart with over 450 yards in the airand just over 100 yards and three touchdowns on the ground.  We had 2 recievers over 100 yards. Austin Allen was 7 shy of 150 and we had at least half a dozen guys average 10+ a catch. The problem was that even though they only held the ball for 26 and change, held them 15 1st downs and 49 plays (we ran 70) we let them average 8 yards per carry and Braelon Allen run for 228 and 3 scores. And as usual our QB and special teams were awful in the big moments as Martinez threw 2 picks and we gave up a kick return for another touchdown.

We should be pretty good against the run and hopefully the special teams QB turnover issue is fixed.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

The thing is they had a pretty strong defense last year and we tore it apart with over 450 yards in the airand just over 100 yards and three touchdowns on the ground.  We had 2 recievers over 100 yards. Austin Allen was 7 shy of 150 and we had at least half a dozen guys average 10+ a catch. The problem was that even though they only held the ball for 26 and change, held them 15 1st downs and 49 plays (we ran 70) we let them average 8 yards per carry and Braelon Allen run for 228 and 3 scores. And as usual our QB and special teams were awful in the big moments as Martinez threw 2 picks and we gave up a kick return for another touchdown.

We should be pretty good against the run and hopefully the special teams QB turnover issue is fixed.

We also have to always come away with points when getting to the redzone. That TO on downs in the 1st was huge. Like you said though, you can't give cheap points to a team that likes to control clock and being content with 2-5 yards a carry.

Frost has always been able to scheme up yards against Wisconsin, but scoring has been a different matter. Hopefully the new coaches can help figure that out - gaining 518, 493, and 452 yards has to score more than 24, 21, and 28 points. That's been a problem in general the past 4 years, but it really shows up against Wisconsin. We have put up the most yards of any team they've faced each of the last 3 years we've played, and they were only ever threatened on the scoreboard this last time out.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Wisconsin has Chinander's number on the ground.

2018 - 7.7 ypc (Taylor 224 yds / 9.2 ypc)

2019 - 7.1 ypc (Taylor 204 yds / 8.1 ypc)

2021 - 8.1 ypc (Allen 228 yds / 10.4 ypc)

Yeah, the old system was not great against the run. It didn't help that Tuioti was an absolutely terrible recruiter and we weren't exactly deep in the middle. We have some dudes that now that can hold the line and eat space. We also have some good options on the edge. The biggest challenge is if you have to keep Mathis off the field because he's terrible against the run', how much do you use him? If he's only going to be effective on 3rd and long it's a problem.

9 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Yeah, the old system was not great against the run. It didn't help that Tuioti was an absolutely terrible recruiter and we weren't exactly deep in the middle. We have some dudes that now that can hold the line and eat space. We also have some good options on the edge. The biggest challenge is if you have to keep Mathis off the field because he's terrible against the run', how much do you use him? If he's only going to be effective on 3rd and long it's a problem.

Hate to break it to you, but the system isn't changing. We'll be in more 4-2-5 looks than 3-4, but since the edge guys were OLBs it's actually one less big body than before. And I actually expect Wisconsin to be one of the teams where we do more of the 3 down lineman looks than normal.

Depth was a big problem last year for sure- Allen is going to make some plays, but it helps when our nose tackle and best tackling safety were hurt, we were down to our 4th/5th string edge guys,  and our 2 ILBs were running on fumes because they never got subbed out. Not to mention boneheaded plays like trying to body check tackle a RB that outweighs you by 40 pounds.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Hate to break it to you, but the system isn't changing. We'll be in more 4-2-5 looks than 3-4, but since the edge guys were OLBs it's actually one less big body than before. And I actually expect Wisconsin to be one of the teams where we do more of the 3 down lineman looks than normal.

Depth was a big problem last year for sure- Allen is going to make some plays, but it helps when our nose tackle and best tackling safety were hurt, we were down to our 4th/5th string edge guys,  and our 2 ILBs were running on fumes because they never got subbed out. Not to mention boneheaded plays like trying to body check tackle a RB that outweighs you by 40 pounds.

basically what I was going to say.  Tackling was an issue.  That's not having Chin's number.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

We have some dudes that now that can hold the line and eat space.

We do?  We lost our best run stuffer from last year.

Ty Robinson is a proven commodity (and PFF was not kind to him).  Feist and Hutmacher have not played.  Wynn never played at Bama besides in the 4th quarter of blowouts.  Drew has experience, but I am getting more worried by the day if he actually makes it to campus.

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

basically what I was going to say.  Tackling was an issue.  That's not having Chin's number.  

I agree.  I understand the "got his number" mentality based on stats.  But, if our secondary made some tackles within 20 yards of the LOS, there wouldn't be hidden yards and long TD runs.  The effort was so poor last year, as if they (our safeties and DBs) were flat out scared to tackle a big runner.  Safeties and DBs that don't like to tackle a running back to the ground should not see the field.  

On a sidenote, I hope Yant understands that someday. 

• 1 month later...

I realize that it's pretty dumb to talk s*** as a 'skers fan...but Wisconsin's offensive line has fallen off a cliff and Graham Mertz just hasn't wound up being the guy Wisconsin fans thought he'd be. These highlights from their blowout loss to Illinois yesterday are really surprising: