Sipple leaving LJS?

Knowing how Lee Enterprises runs things, I am surprised they still have 3-4 reporters at each of the LJS and OWH covering the Huskers.  Seems ripe for a downsizing opportunity.

With Parker and now Sip leaving I am wonder if that is where this is headed.

• Plus1 2

Interesting.  I'm more of a PG guy (Parker Gabriel) and Sean Callahan (YouTube) for Husker news, and I thought Parker recently left too? Is On3  slinging out the big bucks or something? :dunno

The best of the best is still Adam Carriker IMO.  That's my homie yo! 

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, admo said:

Interesting.  I'm more of a PG guy (Parker Gabriel) and Sean Callahan (YouTube) for Husker news, and I thought Parker recently left too? Is On3  slinging out the big bucks or something? :dunno

The best of the best is still Adam Carriker IMO.  That's my homie yo! 

Parker Gabriel left LJS to take a job covering the Denver Broncos. I believe he's now working for USA Today Sports, which I didn't realize was a thing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It’s got to be tough to be a sports reporter for Huskers sports with the minimum sports information allowed the past few years.  It’s all just guesswork and speculation and rumors - just like the bulk of the material we all have to discuss and debate.  Instead of having so much be top secret / classified, maybe the AD ought to be more open and proactive.  ‘No news is more often bad news’ so the fan base tends to be unrealistically pessimistic or conversely optimistic.  Neither are good for the program in the long run.  Most fans can understand and be generally supportive when they don’t feel misled or deceived.  

With regard to LJS / OWH (effectively one outfit it seems), they have so little information to write about, stories have got to be hard to create.  I understand the turnover.  And newspapers probably struggle to stay afloat financially in today’s paperless society.  Sad to see so many aspects of Huskers sports fade away. 

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It’s got to be tough to be a sports reporter for Huskers sports with the minimum sports information allowed the past few years.  It’s all just guesswork and speculation and rumors - just like the bulk of the material we all have to discuss and debate.  Instead of having so much be top secret / classified, maybe the AD ought to be more open and proactive.  ‘No news is more often bad news’ so the fan base tends to be unrealistically pessimistic or conversely optimistic.  Neither are good for the program in the long run.  Most fans can understand and be generally supportive when they don’t feel misled or deceived.  

With regard to LJS / OWH (effectively one outfit it seems), they have so little information to write about, stories have got to be hard to create.  I understand the turnover.  And newspapers probably struggle to stay afloat financially in today’s paperless society.  Sad to see so many aspects of Huskers sports fade away. 

LOL...Really?  Being a sports reporter for the Huskers would be a much better job than most.  You have a rabid fan base that's always looking for information.  You have a sports information department that's always looking to promote athletes and programs.  There are one hell of a lot of programs that nobody cares about most of the year.  How would you like to write for a program like that knowing there's no news and nobody cares about it anyway unless it's in the season?

Now, it might not be the exact type of information you want.  But, stories are there year round almost.

I'm sad to see Sip go.  I like it that there's multiple reporters writing about the Huskers because everyone has different tastes for what they want.  I always found him funny because he reminded me of Oscar on the Odd Couple.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 minutes ago, Decked said:

Oversaturated market as is. Unfortunate for Sip however 

From Sip's statement on his podcast with Sam, it sounded like Sip moving onto a new job was voluntary.  He just felt it was time to try something different.  Now, there may have been underlying issues at the LJS which encouraged him to look elsewhere, but I don't think he was laid off or forced out.

• Plus1 3

I'd be surprised to see Sip head over to On3.  I thought On3 was supposed to have more of a recruiting focus and I can't really see Sip wanting to grind in that way.  I hope he's able to get one of those cushy corporate communications jobs that seem to get snatched up by former media members.

Either that, or he could always go sell used cars.  My impression of Sip (completely my opinion) is he was a buffet at a strip club kinda guy.  Good guy to have a few pops with.  So....pretty much Champ from Anchorman lol.

11 hours ago, admo said:

If you didn't see my posts in the misc BS thread (OP apparently didn't), Callahan is taking Husker Online from Rivals to On3, effective next month. They mentioned that they were bringing in one new person along with the move, hence all the speculation that Sip is going to On3 too.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1