Sipple leaving LJS?

2 hours ago, Toe said:

If you didn't see my posts in the misc BS thread (OP apparently didn't), Callahan is taking Husker Online from Rivals to On3, effective next month. They mentioned that they were bringing in one new person along with the move, hence all the speculation that Sip is going to On3 too.

I hope they continue the Husker Online Podcast over there. It is my favorite to keep up on what is happening in without a lot of lollygagging around and wasted time BS'ing about nothing relevant.

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Parker Gabriel left LJS to take a job covering the Denver Broncos. I believe he's now working for USA Today Sports, which I didn't realize was a thing. 

I didn't know he went there.  Thanks!

Yeah neither did I lol (USA Today Sports)

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

If you didn't see my posts in the misc BS thread (OP apparently didn't), Callahan is taking Husker Online from Rivals to On3, effective next month. They mentioned that they were bringing in one new person along with the move, hence all the speculation that Sip is going to On3 too.

I didn't know that either.  Thanks bro!

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

From Sip's statement on his podcast with Sam, it sounded like Sip moving onto a new job was voluntary.  He just felt it was time to try something different.  Now, there may have been underlying issues at the LJS which encouraged him to look elsewhere, but I don't think he was laid off or forced out.

Totally possible, but Lee Enterprises, the owner of several dozen small newspaper outlets including the LJS and OWH, announced staff cuts. For now it's supposed to be for editorial staff, but it'll eventually lead over into the columnists.

Sip probably would've been safe at LJS for awhile but if the ground is shaky, why not see what else is out there? That's my take on this. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I believe he's now working for USA Today Sports, which I didn't realize was a thing. 

2 hours ago, admo said:

Yeah neither did I lol (USA Today Sports)

Apparently you people have never heard of the USA Today AFCA Coaches Poll, either? At the end of the season, they give whoever is #1 in that poll a fancy crystal football. :P

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
32 minutes ago, Toe said:

Apparently you people have never heard of the USA Today AFCA Coaches Poll, either? At the end of the season, they give whoever is #1 in that poll a fancy crystal football. :P

Of course they haven't heard of it, they root for Nebraska. 

Bazinga!

Sip's goodbye column at the LJS

Steven M. Sipple: Feeling forever blessed to have been part of the Journal Star team

Since 1990, I've basically worked a dream job. That's not to say it's been an easy job. Most writers will tell you that writing is difficult. 

Good writing is extremely difficult. 

Sometimes, it borders on painful. 

This column is particularly difficult to write. After 30-plus years at the Lincoln Journal Star, including the past 15 as a columnist, I'm moving on to a new position elsewhere — a position that will be announced in coming weeks.