Huskers Land Alabama Transfer Safety Kaine Williams

12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If we could find one top caliber O line and D line guy by Aug 1, and somehow hang on to the better guys across the team, there is reason to hope for team improvement thru the season.  Not sure it will mean many wins and the first 5 weeks will be tough.  Going to need lots of luck to find a way to win some.  By middle of season, barring injury to starters and most backups, the team will be much like last year imo.  No team will find them easy to beat but Husker wins will be equally hard to get.  

Ultimately, the season comes down to line of scrimmage and QB play.  The offense will need Whipple to find a way to move the ball by getting first downs, controlling the clock and taking advantage of short fields etc.  hopefully we don’t hear the term ‘chunk plays’ much.  That will be a good sign.  Teams trying to make 10 plus yard gains all the time have turnovers, penalties and time of possession issues.  Nothing wrong with a few ‘big plays’ but ball control, physical play and error free play is Big Ten football.  

Our defense is not physically over powering so we don’t wear people down.  D line won’t be strong or deep so we need to help them by retaining ball possession and scoring TDs.  Fewer possessions per game and high efficiency is critical.  Whipple, if Frost lets him, will be almost as important to our defense as Chins.  The best chance for a bowl game will be if STs ‘wins’ three or more.  It could happen, if Frost will truly devote practice and talent to it.  

Solid man.  Keep it coming in every thread no matter the topic.  They will listen sooner or later.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I'm starting to like this portal thing:):restore

Now if we can get all of that potential talent we've gained from the portal onto the field and utilize it properly - that will be up to the coaching staff. 

I feel more confident with this staff - time to put it all together on the field.  Win the games we should and get some upsets along the way -  I would love to surprise

OU in Sept. That would set the tone for more upsets at the end of the season. 

59 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm starting to like this portal thing:):restore

Now if we can get all of that potential talent we've gained from the portal onto the field and utilize it properly - that will be up to the coaching staff. 

I feel more confident with this staff - time to put it all together on the field.  Win the games we should and get some upsets along the way -  I would love to surprise

OU in Sept. That would set the tone for more upsets at the end of the season. 

Feels like we finally have a half decent staff and they only get one year. Frost has only himself to blame but damn. Even the recruiting department has made strides. 

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Feels like we finally have a half decent staff and they only get one year. Frost has only himself to blame but damn. Even the recruiting department has made strides. 

Yep, lets hope they get to a bowl game or better - It would be nice to reach 8 - 9 wins again - the old Bo standard. I think they will get to a bowl and Frost will retain his job.  I can't imagine us having a bunch of one score losses this year.  I expect the coaching and the gains from the portal will help our offense to be more than an 80 yard offense - being for effective in the red zone.  Chin has learned how to roll in the B1G & has become a good DC and will uphold his end of the deal.   

3 hours ago, Decked said:

If this staff pulls a similar thing to Solich's 2003 staff, the AD will be very aware of how bad the optics would be if they got the can after.

If Frost wins 7 games he's safe. He's had the ability to win 7 every year he's been here, even with less talented and put together rosters.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If this staff pulls a similar thing to Solich's 2003 staff, the AD will be very aware of how bad the optics would be if they got the can after.

If Frost wins 7 games he's safe. He's had the ability to win 7 every year he's been here, even with less talented and put together rosters.

The AD agenda from 2003 isn't even comparable to the current AD situation.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, lets hope they get to a bowl game or better - It would be nice to reach 8 - 9 wins again - the old Bo standard. I think they will get to a bowl and Frost will retain his job.  I can't imagine us having a bunch of one score losses this year.  I expect the coaching and the gains from the portal will help our offense to be more than an 80 yard offense - being for effective in the red zone.  Chin has learned how to roll in the B1G & has become a good DC and will uphold his end of the deal.   

Although I think the defense takes a small step backwards, I still think our O-line will be the key. If they can be at least serviceable and give Thompson time to throw and give our RB stable just a little room to run, I think we'll be OK. I'm just not as confident in our O-line as some here appear to be.

51 minutes ago, TheSker said:

But the perception and stereotype remain, whether right or wrong. Trev knows this and it will be an element to be mindful of if we're in that position at the end of 2022.

44 minutes ago, TheSker said:

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I tend to agree although it will depend on the losses as well as the win/loss records of opponents too.  Blow out losses and or ugly games where team effort fails could qualify things somewhat.  8 plus a bowl win almost certainly buys another conditional year. 7 plus a solid bowl win, very likely.  The losses need to be respectable and vs top 15 teams.  There has to be clear, unequivocal improvement - period.  Imo.  ( 5 years without real progress is not acceptable to most of the fan base imo.)

The staff changes will be weighed heavily but this is Frost’s team and program - period.  If Frost delivers more of the same, and especially if fans and commentators see only slight adjustments, Frost is done and his future coaching will take a major hit. 

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Although I think the defense takes a small step backwards, I still think our O-line will be the key. If they can be at least serviceable and give Thompson time to throw and give our RB stable just a little room to run, I think we'll be OK. I'm just not as confident in our O-line as some here appear to be.

I agree. OL play will be the key to success. I think we’ll be better at all phase of the game on offense wt the OL being the biggest unknown. Defense: I was really very concerned about the DL but the recent transfer players will have a impact there. Fisher will get the DBs ready and our LBs will be the strength of the D even though JoJo will be missed. 

• Plus1 2
On 5/15/2022 at 11:13 AM, Decked said:

That’s a sneakily good pickup. Hoping he gets a shot at playing time. The less Farmer the better IMO. 

IMO too. 

Why can't coach Fish teach him how to tackle and play physical? He's got good hands and speed, but his tackling approach, poor angles and effort is awful for a safety.  Like he just doesn't want to do it.  And the tape shows it. 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I agree. OL play will be the key to success. I think we’ll be better at all phase of the game on offense wt the OL being the biggest unknown. Defense: I was really very concerned about the DL but the recent transfer players will have a impact there. Fisher will get the DBs ready and our LBs will be the strength of the D even though JoJo will be missed. 

Having average or better ST play could make the record completely different. OL, DL, and QB are certainly the keys, but ST was SOOOOO bad that it has the chance for the biggest impact in terms of record.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Having average or better ST play could make the record completely different. OL, DL, and QB are certainly the keys, but ST was SOOOOO bad that it has the chance for the biggest impact in terms of record.

I agree.  I feel like we talked a lot about how many games we could have or should have won last season but during the offseason it hasn't been brought up as much.  Good ST play may have put us in a bowl game in 2 of the last 3 years.    

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The team that went 3-9 last year returns WITHOUT a lot of major contributors (basically most of its better players) - secondary, def line, QB, RBs, WRs, TEs, etc.  Also replaced a third of the coaches, the kickers are new and likely most of the kick returners.  A modified offense and possibly some of the defensive schemes will need to be changed to accommodate talent changes as well.  

While the schedule,  at first glance anyway, could be less daunting, it will certainly NOT be easy.  Team confidence is very uncertain.  Injuries continue to haunt the program.  This team will be very inexperienced and, as seems to be the case every year under Frost, very young.  

On the other hand, Whipple is a wise old owl and MJ has shown capabilities.  Do these two considerations offset the foregoing?   Could be yet another long season.  I hope not but hard to be bullish at this point.