Division elimination

In the case of the SEC I could see a scenario where Alabama and Georgia meet in the regular season and he home team wins as was mentioned above. Then they meet on a neutral site CCG and the other team wins. What playoff official in his right mind would leave off either team in the playoff selection vote? Alabama dominates a Big Ten team and Georgia pounds a Pac 12 or ACC team to play a third time. I don't see the Big 12 ever making a playoff game going forward. The Big 10 could be looking at Ohio State and Michigan splitting games with both ending up 12-1 and in the running for a berth in the final four. Even more so if it's expanded to 6 or 8 teams. At what point does the football world decide they are tired of seeing the same 3 or 4 teams win every year?    

If the Huskers take advantage of the transfer portal and get to 9-3 or 10-2 consistently, they still might never sniff a playoff berth but could get to a Rose Bowl or another good bowl.

How the Big10 champion game would have changed in the CFP era without divisions.

Big Ten Championship Games (CFP era)

2014: No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 13 Wisconsin (unchanged)
2015: No. 5 Michigan State vs. No. 4 Iowa (unchanged)
2016: No. 7 Penn State vs. No. 6 Wisconsin -> No. 2 Ohio State replaces Wisconsin
2017: No. 8 Ohio State vs. No. 4 Wisconsin (unchanged)
2018: No. 6 Ohio State vs. No. 21 Northwestern -> No. 7 Michigan replaces Northwestern
2019: No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. 8 Wisconsin (unchanged)
2020: No. 4 Ohio State vs. No. 14 Northwestern (unchanged)
2021: No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 13 Iowa -> No. 7 Ohio State replaces Iowa

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2022/5/19/23125879/big-ten-championship-game-divisions-pac-12

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I get it but don't really care for it.  Rematches will happen too often imo.  Who really wants to watch Ohio State and Michigan or Alabama and Georgia play back to back games.

That's why I don't like it either.

13 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Eh, eliminate the title game altogether if they've already played head to head. All a rematch does is eliminate your highest ranked team from playoff contention without any guarantee the 2nd place team will move into contention. 

If there is an upset.

Pretty difficult to do if you get down to a week before the game and everything is set up for the game such as tickets sold, stadium reserved, TV slot reserved....etc.

I think the better business model would be to go the opposite direction of 8 game conference schedules and the elimination of divisions.  The pandemic championship week where every played to cap off the season would surely be a revenue boost. as well.  Then again, why not just sit back, and watch the SEC continue to minimize the rest of college football.