Division elimination

4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

What are the chances that everyone else drops to 8 conference games, so the SEC drops to 7 to maintain their competitive advantage?? 

Drop to 6 so espn can introduce the sec/swac challenge. It'll be similar to the acc/b1g challenge in basketball.

• Haha 1

If there were no divisions and the CFP ranking determined the top two, I think Nebraska might still have a chance to make conference championship games in the future. We all get hung up about the national perception of Nebraska and that the Huskers don't get respect. Reality is that we are just not very good right now. If we got through the first nine games of the season this year without taking a loss (and the only really tough opponent in the group is an Oklahoma team with a new QB and new HC) then we would have already earned a very nice national ranking. People want to believe in the Huskers because of our tradition. We wouldn't have to be good long and people would be selling the happy story of how we stuck with Frost and reaped the rewards of a successful program.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't know if Nebraska will ever sniff a conference championship game again if we have to count on them legitimately being one of the two best teams in the conference. 

Well, key word there is legitimately.  Even if they do away with divisions I still think there are going to be regional pods and we just have to figure out how to not be incompetent and beat the likes of iowa/wisc/minnesota/purdue.  We might not be the best 2 teams but if we can just take care of business we still have a pretty easy path relative to the likes of a michigan/mich st/penn st who need to beat one another then figure out the beast that is OSU every year.

12 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

What are the chances that everyone else drops to 8 conference games, so the SEC drops to 7 to maintain their competitive advantage?? 

7 seems too low.  8 is what the ACC does and I'm not a fan of that, although it is fun conference.  But if that's what everyone does, then I'll get on board.

My main thing is, I really don't like the idea of pods.  Which is likely to happen.

7 minutes ago, admo said:

7 seems too low.  8 is what the ACC does and I'm not a fan of that, although it is fun conference.  But if that's what everyone does, then I'll get on board.

My main thing is, I really don't like the idea of pods.  Which is likely to happen.

The concept of pods, which seems to just be a word for smaller divisions lol, is to build up and maintain rivalries.  I don't think there's a way to schedule games that makes everyone happy where you both rotate the schedule and have protected rivalry games at the same time that is also fair for all schools.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The concept of pods, which seems to just be a word for smaller divisions lol, is to build up and maintain rivalries.  I don't think there's a way to schedule games that makes everyone happy where you both rotate the schedule and have protected rivalry games at the same time that is also fair for all schools.  

Yeah lol, we need more facts and data!  What type of pod?

Tri-pod, Tetra-pod, Penta-pod, Hexa-pod?  chuckleshuffle

1 hour ago, admo said:

8 is what the ACC does

Funny how much hand-wringing there was a couple years ago about how much an 8-game conference schedule was such an advantage and the B1G, Big XII and Pac-12 were hurting themselves by playing an extra conference game.

Then Clemson loses a couple of games and all-of-the-sudden the "advantage" was gone.

• Plus1 2

On 5/20/2022 at 9:08 AM, The Dude said:

I don't know if Nebraska will ever sniff a conference championship game again if we have to count on them legitimately being one of the two best teams in the conference. 

CCG if any, "two best teams".  So long west/east trophies.

BTW, you remember Legends and Leaders?

Legends:

• Huskers
  • Rodents
  • Ditch Chickens
  • North to Northwest
  • Sparty
  • Meechickens

2012 CCG: Cheeseheads 70 vs. Huskers 31 :hmmph

https://schersdd.tripod.com/sig2012.html

• Haha 1
On 5/20/2022 at 12:33 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

I think it's more likely they would play more cupcakes and tomato cans in the non-conference season.    4 games against Prairie View A&M, Georgia State, Incarnate Word, and North Alabama.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, BigRedBuster said:

That's why I don't like it either.

Pretty difficult to do if you get down to a week before the game and everything is set up for the game such as tickets sold, stadium reserved, TV slot reserved....etc.

Money is too great to eliminate it but I would do away with the conference title game right away and expand the Playoff to 12 teams.