** 2022 Opponent Previews : Purdue (Game 7) **

18 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

2022 NEBRASKA-PURDUE FOOTBALL STATS MATCHUP

Here’s how the Cornhuskers and Boilermakers match up statistically entering their Oct. 15 game in West Lafayette. Average national ranking in categories listed: Nebraska 82.3, Purdue 49.9.

nebraska-n.pngpurdue-logo-150x82-1.png
NEBRASKA

3-3 (2-1)

PURDUE

4-2 (2-1)

Stat Rank   Stat Rank
*ESPN FPI analytics. Schedule strength does not include future opponents.
Rushing offense 160.2 62   119.2 103
Passing offense 255.3 55   300.5 20
Pass efficiency 140.31 61   139.05 66
Total offense 415.5 61   419.7 57
Scoring offense 28.5 78   32.5 48
Rushing defense 186.0 110   96.7 17
Pass defense 263.0 106   230.8 70
Pass eff. defense 122.53 45   129.81 65
Total defense 449.0 116   327.5 28
Scoring defense 29.3 90   22.0 44
Net punting 38.83 73   38.56 77
Punt returns 16.50 11   6.85 77
Kickoff returns 16.55 113   20.75 61
Turnover margin -0.33 90   -0.17 83
Tackles for loss 4.5 112   4.8 96
Sacks 1.67 92   2.00 69
Sacks allowed 2.67 103   1.83 61
Third-down conversion 0.466 28   0.448 37
Third-down defense 0.413 88   0.302 23
Fourth-down conversion 0.250 124   0.556 50
Fourth-down defense 0.625 98   0.375 25
Red zone offense 0.833 64   0.960 8
Red zone defense 0.857 85   0.706 14
First downs offense 143 22   141 27
First downs defense 136 105   107 44
Fewest penalties 7.33 100   6.67 80
Fewest penalty yards 57.50 70   69.67 111
Time of possession 29:46 69   31:24 40
Natl. rank* -1.9 76   9.7 22
Efficiency: Offense* 42.3 88   67.8 29
Efficiency: Defense* 31.3 114   69.7 31
Efficiency: Spec. Teams* 51.1 68   50.8 69
Efficiency: Overall* 33.7 105   72.7 25
Schedule strength* 117 117   21 21

Not nervous, anxious and a little excited.

They good run defense so we need short quick passing strikes.  And to stretch the field.  Might not do well running the ball much.

I feel like they hit their 32ppg mark (no hate towards the Blackshirts) but our offense will need to pass well to keep the game tight (back and forth).  

Our secondary needs to plays tight at the LOS or we won't see the ball much.

Could come down to turnovers as we've always known (either side), but we got to have playmakers making plays, and riding the 2 game win (confidence booster).  Play a short passing game and hit some long strikes, and we will be fine offensively.

Should be exciting for a Saturday night game :)

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I thought there was no way that was true, but you are correct that we have not won two conference road games in back to back weeks since 2006.  We have won consecutive road games in that time, but they were broken up by home games.  It is also a bit funky that we often do not play back to back conference weeks on the road more than once per year. 

I have seen some good crowds for night games at Purdue.  I think it could be rowdier than expected, and I am hoping for it in fact since I will be there!

I used to go to games there when I was in HS.  This would have been when they were actually good with Drew Breese.  Was never impressed with the fans then either.  They showed up but thought it was a pretty lame environment.  also attended a few years ago when Nebraska played there and again was not impressed with the fans.  Maybe they will be hyped for us this year but doubt it.  

1 hour ago, admo said:

Not nervous, anxious and a little excited.

They good run defense so we need short quick passing strikes.  And to stretch the field.  Might not do well running the ball much.

I feel like they hit their 32ppg mark (no hate towards the Blackshirts) but our offense will need to pass well to keep the game tight (back and forth).  

Our secondary needs to plays tight at the LOS or we won't see the ball much.

Could come down to turnovers as we've always known (either side), but we got to have playmakers making plays, and riding the 2 game win (confidence booster).  Play a short passing game and hit some long strikes, and we will be fine offensively.

Should be exciting for a Saturday night game :)

I like the fact that our corners have been man to man and pressing.  They will get better with more practice and it should at least cause problems with the timing routes and give the D line more time to get to the QB.  I also think it gives us more opportunities for INT's.  

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I like the fact that our corners have been man to man and pressing.  They will get better with more practice and it should at least cause problems with the timing routes and give the D line more time to get to the QB.  I also think it gives us more opportunities for INT's.  

YES!!!!

You might get burned every once in a while, but, I would rather have that than the constant wide open WRs in space because they were playing off so much.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Purdue's defense has allowed the exact same number of points per game as Rutgers through 6 games.  That's 22 PPG.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Schedule strength is a bit different though for those first 6 games. Purdue by all measures is ranked quite a bit higher in most everything.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Oooof Rutgers offense :lol:

I mean ... the two teams that we've beaten have bottom 10 offenses (and we wasted a third opponent that fits that description).  So there's that.

Just need to find a way to get the Techs on the schedule yet this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Did pretty good when they do that.  Noticed the far side lined up about 10 yards back in the second half (Rutgers).  Safeties keep taking steps backwards during the play.  As if every pass attempt is going to be 50 yard shots.  

But like you pointed out, all corners should be near the LOS in a man front to disrupt the rhythm and timing.  If you get beat, you should have a safety over the top - being a safety, playing like a safety - and not just back there exercising on the field and tossing your arms up in the air after doing nothing.  

I'd rather get beat by one big play once in a while, then a thousand little plays gaining yards, over and over and over.  

• Plus1 1

Playing Purdue THIS WEEK, means throw out the stats and look at the matchups as they are NOW. This is no longer their early season O-Line.

Purdue will be shifting their LT to RT to replace their second string RT - who is now Out for the Season. The #1 RT suffered a career-ending injury earlier. The new LT is a redshirt freshman that Purdue admits is undersized. Nebraska's D has a chance to get after their QB. After talking about options to move pieces and create a decent OL, the article says:

One thing Purdue can’t afford is another injury to the offensive line. The Boilermakers came into the season with eight linemen the coaching staff was comfortable playing. They are down to six, and fresh out of reserve tackles.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2022/10/10/23396773/purdue-football-injury-ends-ol-daniel-johnsons-season

The Blackshirts are a unit that is growing more confident in themselves and it shows on the field. Imagine if Busch and the young men under his command, turned in two halves of football in the SAME GAME as they showed in the 2nd halves of the last 2 games!

• Oh Yeah! 1