Huskers Land Texas Transfer Wide Receiver Marcus Washington

Here's how one Texas publication reacted to Washington entering the portal. Some good, some bad. Joseph has work to do with him, it seems.

Marcus Washington, WR

The most proven and experienced wide receiver that the Longhorns lost to the transfer portal so far this offseason is a fellow former blue-chip recruit and rising senior Marcus Washington. While it was pretty surprising to see Dixon enter the transfer portal last weekend, Washington really came as a bit of a shock at this point of the offseason.

There was a point during spring ball where it looked like Washington could realistically enter the transfer portal. But once Texas lost two other key scholarship wideouts to the transfer portal in the last few days, my expectations of him also testing the waters dropped a good bit.

Washington joins Dixon and redshirt freshman Dajon Harrison as the three scholarship wide receivers to enter the transfer portal since the conclusion of spring ball last week.

But Washington is going to be the most impactful loss for the Longhorns in the short term.

Texas is likely going to miss Washington’s ability as a blocker and the depth he provided as at least a decently-reliable backup at the Z spot.

On the other hand, though, it seemed like some of the issues we saw from Washington in the last couple of seasons weren’t progressing the way they needed to. Washington had some drop issues last year, and that re-surfaced at different points during spring camp.

Some of the inconsistencies in terms of the ability of Washington to run the complete route tree also seemingly surfaced during spring ball. Those slight issues for Washington would’ve continued to limit his role with Texas this fall.

Yet, there’s no doubt that Texas was likely planning to have Washington stick around through the fall. His departure could force the coaching staff to seek out the fourth addition at the wide receiver position out of the transfer portal this offseason.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

I’m grateful for his commitment and contribution, but if I see Wyatt play a meaningful snap this year I have to believe something is not right. 

I think people make too big of a deal about things they happen to see infrequently.

He played a total of 19 snaps in the last 8 games last year.  Barely two per game.

Eight of those were against Minnesota.  11 total in the other 7 games.

Yep people act like the coaches were running him out there half the time.

• Plus1 7
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think people make too big of a deal about things they happen to see infrequently.

He played a total of 19 snaps in the last 8 games last year.  Barely two per game.

Wasn't he prominent the year before?  Losing seasons make them all run together in a gumbo of disappointment.  

11 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Wasn't he prominent the year before?  Losing seasons make them all run together in a gumbo of disappointment.  

He played some against Illinois (25 snaps) and Minnesota (15).  He played 27 total snaps in the other 6 games combined.

12 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well as much as I will miss Betts I believe that by adding Washington covers that.

I won't miss Betts, at all. :P

• Haha 1
On 5/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mavric said:

I'm going to recycle this, Mav. +1

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...