Sellout Streak in 2022

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Tickets for North Dakota now $30 straight from the Athletic Department.

They need to come out against NW, blow them out of the game in the first half (1st quarter would be better) and then keep their foot down the second half. It would go a long way in stoking some fan enthusiasm. Heaven forbid they loss to NW. The stadium would be like a morgue for UND & Georgia So.

Agreed on NW. A dominant win would go a long way towards getting the fans juiced up. A loss would be devastating. Even if the sellout streak remained, the stadium would be soooo empty for ND and GS as to embarrass us all.

And we know that NW likes to mess with us. And we're so new on offense....and, as of now, I am turning off my brain. Too much negativity is bad for anybody.

13 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Agreed on NW. A dominant win would go a long way towards getting the fans juiced up. A loss would be devastating. Even if the sellout streak remained, the stadium would be soooo empty for ND and GS as to embarrass us all.

And we know that NW likes to mess with us. And we're so new on offense....and, as of now, I am turning off my brain. Too much negativity is bad for anybody.

Turn this the other way.  If you're NW, what are you preparing for on defense?

• Plus1 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Turn this the other way.  If you're NW, what are you preparing for on defense?

NW will mostly prep for the basic pass elements of the Pit offense and any variations they’ve seen from Frost for 4 years.  
they won’t know what to expect from the Whip run game really.  The run game is where NU can really make hay IF they have some new schemes, packages and so on.  I think a good ground game focused on power, with 2 RBs and even 2 TEs could be great as a change up. 20 snaps from under center with 17 runs and 3 play action passes would be very helpful.   Won’t need this much then during the games 2-3 so - air it out.  That’ll give Oklahoma something to worry about.   I’d introduce some ‘trick’ type plays in the kicking game too!   Force teams to spend valuable practice time in stuff they may not even face.  

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

NW will mostly prep for the basic pass elements of the Pit offense and any variations they’ve seen from Frost for 4 years.  
they won’t know what to expect from the Whip run game really.  The run game is where NU can really make hay IF they have some new schemes, packages and so on.  I think a good ground game focused on power, with 2 RBs and even 2 TEs could be great as a change up. 20 snaps from under center with 17 runs and 3 play action passes would be very helpful.   Won’t need this much then during the games 2-3 so - air it out.  That’ll give Oklahoma something to worry about.   I’d introduce some ‘trick’ type plays in the kicking game too!   Force teams to spend valuable practice time in stuff they may not even face.  

Trick kick plays like actually making one?

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
16 hours ago, runningblind said:

Trick kick plays like actually making one?

Well, that would sure surprise quite a few folks.  Lol.  There are lots a ‘tricks’ that can help a struggling team overcome opponents who are out playing a team.  Fakes, reverses, onside kicks, etc etc.  It’s been a long time since Neb fb was good at tricking anyone but ourselves.  Time to turn things around, upside down and inside out maybe!!!   

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well, that would sure surprise quite a few folks.  Lol.  There are lots a ‘tricks’ that can help a struggling team overcome opponents who are out playing a team.  Fakes, reverses, onside kicks, etc etc.  It’s been a long time since Neb fb was good at tricking anyone but ourselves.  Time to turn things around, upside down and inside out maybe!!!   

If we need trick plays to beat any of our first 3 opponents, this will be a long season.  Showing them to Oklahoma would only allow them the opportunity to prepare for them, again not a good idea.  The best opportunity a trick play has of working is the first time you run it.  

31 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I would much rather them go out and play straight up, good sound football to beat NW and get their timing and techniques down ...instead of trying to do a bunch of trickeration and try to be too fancy.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would much rather them go out and play straight up, good sound football to beat NW and get their timing and techniques down ...instead of trying to do a bunch of trickeration and try to be too fancy.

Of course, that is required.  That is presumed since they are now actually coaching better athletes.  But teams that may struggle to separate themselves from most opponents need to find creative ways to get an edge.  Preparation also keeps the tricks from being played on you too!   

I think they should just let the streak die since it's basically a joke now and everyone knows it's been kept alive artificially for the last several years.  It's no longer the point of pride it once was.

That being said, the stadium attendance is still insanely good considering how bad the team has been for the last 2 decades.

I was watching the 2021 ACC championship game the other day and I noticed the huge swaths of empty space in the stadium at kickoff.  We had more fans in our stadium late in the Purdue game last year.  Husker fans still show up really well even if the streak is a joke.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, The Dude said:

I think they should just let the streak die since it's basically a joke now and everyone knows it's been kept alive artificially for the last several years.  It's no longer the point of pride it once was.

That being said, the stadium attendance is still insanely good considering how bad the team has been for the last 2 decades.

I was watching the 2021 ACC championship game the other day and I noticed the huge swaths of empty space in the stadium at kickoff.  We had more fans in our stadium late in the Purdue game last year.  Husker fans still show up really well even if the streak is a joke.

Agreed all around.