Sellout Streak in 2022

I don't see the big donors letting that happen.

When you really step back for a moment and think about it, we only have four home games left this season. The university has a few big donors that will not let the sellout streak die. They'll find a way to cover these next four games.

Then it's on Trev to make the right hire with the head coach position. Get that right, and fans will be drinking the Kool-aid again before the spring game.

1. Get through these next four games (covered by donors)
  2. Make the right hire at head coach.
  3. Begin the process next year to start reducing Memorial Stadium's overall capacity to help preserve the sellout streak into the future.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 2
9 hours ago, The Duke said:

I don't see the big donors letting that happen.

When you really step back for a moment and think about it, we only have four home games left this season. The university has a few big donors that will not let the sellout streak die. They'll find a way to cover these next four games.

Then it's on Trev to make the right hire with the head coach position. Get that right, and fans will be drinking the Kool-aid again before the spring game.

1. Get through these next four games (covered by donors)
  2. Make the right hire at head coach.
  3. Begin the process next year to start reducing Memorial Stadium's overall capacity to help preserve the sellout streak into the future.

The seat numbers are too close together anyways, so reducing the capacity to make room for fatter butts like mine is a Win-Win in my opinion.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, BoSolich said:

guessing stadium will be half full against indiana. what's the point of propping up this streak? everyone already knows we have good fans.

have the boosters use that ticket money to hire a better coach...

When was the last time our stadium was 1/2 full?  I'm so glad our fan base isn't full of people like you that see the negative in virtually everything.  There will be 80k+ in the stands cheering on the boys.  I personally have never attended a game we have lost.  I'll put that record on the line this year so I can support the team.  Win or lose, many of those boys deserve our support.  

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Rural people from all over the state come into Lincoln on Friday night to spend money at stores & restaurants they don't have at home. They stay in hotels, tail gate, go to the game, and then go home.

It's an entire event that people build their lives around and it doesn't have as much to do with the team being good for a lot of people as you'd think.

They'll keep doing this for a long, long time.

• Plus1 5

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I personally have never attended a game we have lost.  I'll put that record on the line this year so I can support the team.  Win or lose, many of those boys deserve our support.  

I've been at all of the games in Memorial that we have lost. It's getting old and hard to do. Easy to say support the boys through thick and thin if you haven't been doing it through all of the thin....

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

I've been at all of the games in Memorial that we have lost. It's getting old and hard to do. Easy to say support the boys through thick and thin if you haven't been doing it through all of the thin....

Maybe you are bad luck?

jk and I understand the frustration.  However, to me, and many others, it is more than just the results on the field.  I have been lucky to never attend a loss.  I typically only go once or twice a year.  I haven't been this year but will go to at least one.  The cool part is people are giving tickets away so for my family, it is going to be much cheaper than normal.  

I'm out of state and can't go to the games, but having watched every play of every game for as long as my TV provider has aired them — and yes, even watching the ridiculous StatCasts back in the years when every game wasn't on -- I may finally have hit the wall last week. The losses no longer hurt. And maybe I don't need to watch them. Look at that beautiful fall Saturday out the window.

Oh who am I kidding. 

I'll keep watching. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm out of state and can't go to the games, but having watched every play of every game for as long as my TV provider has aired them — and yes, even watching the ridiculous StatCasts back in the years when every game wasn't on -- I may finally have hit the wall last week. The losses no longer hurt. And maybe I don't need to watch them. Look at that beautiful fall Saturday out the window.

Oh who am I kidding. 

I'll keep watching. 

That’s where I’m at. I got a little upset during the NW game but since then I’ve just watched in disbelief. Can’t say anything in the last 3 games bothered me. I’d rather go out and enjoy the day but I can’t. It’s an addiction that I can’t seem to kick. I usually try to make it to at least one game per year. Thought maybe I’d go to one this year but that thought disappeared sometime before game 2. I’d imagine there are many in the same shoes. I can’t imagine the pent up demand for tickets is enough to sustain the sellout streak. But I was surprised so many were still in their seats 3rd quarter of the OU game so what do I know. I would’ve been at the Railyard before halftime ended.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I can’t imagine the pent up demand for tickets is enough to sustain the sellout streak.

I can't drum up any actual metrics at all to back this up, but I'll bet it's something along these lines: Prior to the program becoming a complete dumpster fire circa 2019, you probably had 5 people out there that wanted face value tickets for every 2 people that dumped their season tickets.

Now in 2022, the sh***yness of the team has no doubt dropped the net demand for those tickets, but it's still at least roughly equal to the number of people dumping their tickets.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I can't drum up any actual metrics at all to back this up, but I'll bet it's something along these lines: Prior to the program becoming a complete dumpster fire circa 2019, you probably had 5 people out there that wanted face value tickets for every 2 people that dumped their season tickets.

Now in 2022, the sh***yness of the team has no doubt dropped the net demand for those tickets, but it's still at least roughly equal to the number of people dumping their tickets.

Yeah I have no facts or figures either. I just know I’m not making a special 7 hour trip to watch the dumpster burn. I’m sure there are plenty of people within a couple hours of Lincoln. I just don’t know how many want to witness in person what we’ve seen in these first four games. I really don’t care about the sellout streak. It’s been propped up for quite awhile as is.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh who am I kidding. 

I'll keep watching. 

Yes, I've moved from watching at the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club (got too depressing sitting wt a bunch of guys crying in their beers:wasted), to watching from my TV, to last week - just listening while doing something enjoyable - trimming my elm tree with a pole chain saw.  

Chainsaw GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 1