Sellout Streak in 2022

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I kinda know what you mean. On the other hand, every single national broadcast of Nebraska football leads by acknowledging this NCAA record. It's still a thing. 

If it's being consistently propped up by donors who could be giving the money to literally any other need, it's time to let it go. 

I could care less about the sellout streak, but telling ANY donor where their money should or should not go isn't your call.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I could care less about the sellout streak, but telling ANY donor where their money should or should not go isn't your call.

That's a weird flex. I think we all have opinions on how money should be spent. I'm keenly aware it's not my call. 

It would almost be like me pointing out the phrase is I COULDN'T care less, not I COULD care less. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's a weird flex. I think we all have opinions on how money should be spent. I'm keenly aware it's not my call. 

It would almost be like me pointing out the phrase is I COULDN'T care less, not I COULD care less. 

How money should be spent or how other people's money should be spent?

I could care less about your attempted grammar deflection.

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Are you really doubling down? 

Like you, I am free to think someone is ill-advised for investing their money in dogecoin, magic beans, or empty seats. And yet I never suggested they aren't free to make that decision themselves.

If you noticed in my post, I'm actually a bit conflicted because I don't know how much more or less I should care about the sellout streak. The simple fact that donors are propping it up does kill the mood a bit. 

3 hours ago, Has Been said:

I used to go watch those game several years back with the Oklahoma Cornhusker club. It was at a hotel. Usually about 100 people or so. I haven’t been since Pelini. Used to be a fun time. Usually drank a bit more that I usually would, but always had fun. 

Yep at Mulligans in the Raddison hotel. We’ve had up to 275 show for big games before. YEARS ago

11 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yep at Mulligans in the Raddison hotel. We’ve had up to 275 show for big games before. YEARS ago

That’s it. I remember it well. I just guessed 100, but figured it was more than that. I met this gal there once, it was a fun day to say the least. A Cornhusker win and a lucky day indeed. Alcohol always makes things a bit more chillax. Lol

11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What changed it? The losing or something else?

Yes the losing is the big part I think.   We still had good crowds through the Bo years.  The large crowds of over 200 was when we were in those 3 conference champions games under Bo and games against the Sooners.  But even the regular games brought in 75-100 people.  In 2001 when we beat N Dame @ N Dame and the sea of red was first shown on the TV, our group just exploded in cheers.  Kind of like being connect to those in the stadium.  I believe there was around 325 at that watch party. 

So it is the losing - the Mike Riley years really hurt.  There was a rejuvenation during Frost's first year and then disappointment set in. Then Covid did its thing.   The club started in 1981 I believe.  My wife and I joined in 1999 when we found out about it.  So, part of it also is that many are 'aging out' of it.  We are losing the younger generation of fans to apathy since they never experienced the NC years. 

14 hours ago, TheSker said:

13 hours ago, TheSker said:

In the eyes of virtually everybody in the country (especially those that know that donors have kept it on life support) the sellout streak ended a couple of years ago. That is not a bad thing, as maybe the program needs to really turn the page. Call the sellout streak done, quit littering the countryside with 60,000 red balloons, and hang up the black shirts until such a time down the road that they mean something. Putting a black Siri on most of todays defensive players is an insult to many of your past great players.

With a new coaching staff, begin some new traditions that todays students and fans can really get ahold of and move forward with. Maybe time for some BIG changes.

When Hayden Fry came to Iowa, he changed it all, including the logo. The Pittsburgh Steelers were winners, so he copied the jersies down the the size of the pinstripes. This was after lots of years of bad football during the Bob Cummings era. 

Don’t kid yourselves, there will be plenty of top tier coaches that would love the job. I am betting that a few years from now, the past 20 will be distant history. Trev is a standup guy and I would guess that there is plenty of administration and booster support.

• Haha 1