Concern

I've been mulling over this for a couple days, and I'm not trying to start a debacle.

Frost's fifth season and he's never won more than 5 games. 

Heaven forbid we have another lackluster season, would winning 5 games, including beating OU, be enough to keep him around?

I think he's going to need to be at least .500, and not get the proverbial doors blown off in the losses.

Please pardon the meandering, but this has been vexing me for a while now..

• Plus1 4

I don't think Trev & the Admin are going to tolerate five wins with this schedule. 

He has to at least make a bowl game or he's gone. That was the whole point of the restructured contract, and not firing him after last season. And that was the whole point of firing all the offensive staff and hitting the portal so hard. 

• Plus1 9
Just now, knapplc said:

I don't think Trev & the Admin are going to tolerate five wins with this schedule. 

He has to at least make a bowl game or he's gone. That was the whole point of the restructured contract, and not firing him after last season. And that was the whole point of firing all the offensive staff and hitting the portal so hard. 

That's what I was thinking...

Thanks for putting up with the meandering post...lol

• Plus1 2

6 wins is bare minimum IMO, but setting the standard at 6 wins in year 5 just makes me shake my head.

I think we need to actually see the team play before making any specific win numbers to keep his job.  What if we go 7-5, but still see the same mistakes as we have seen the last 4 years?  Or we go 8-4, but lose all 4 games by 20+.  Sure we won more games, but is that really progress?

If he gets kept with a losing record then just shut the program down because that would show that we are not trying to win anymore.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, walksalone said:

Heaven forbid we have another lackluster season, would winning 5 games, including beating OU, be enough to keep him around?

I've wondered the same thing myself. Go 6-6 or better and I think it is automatic that he is retained. But if he goes 5-7 with signature win(s) over OU and/or Mich would it be enough? I don't know but I wouldn't rule it out.

I hope we don't get to that point but going into this season it would surprise me if they ended 9-3, 3-9 or anywhere in between.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

6 wins is bare minimum IMO, but setting the standard at 6 wins in year 5 just makes me shake my head.

I think we need to actually see the team play before making any specific win numbers to keep his job.  What if we go 7-5, but still see the same mistakes as we have seen the last 4 years?  Or we go 8-4, but lose all 4 games by 20+.  Sure we won more games, but is that really progress?

If he gets kept with a losing record then just shut the program down because that would show that we are not trying to win anymore.

I'm still in the 5-7 record camp ... and believe it will be enough.  Even without an OU win.  It will be an "ah shucks, we made so many good strides, hires and fill-ins, that we gotta give him one more year".  Everyone will need to remember that we are so close ... we are one player away ... and this is a really good team [he loves these kids].

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I like Frost.  I would not retain him if he doesn't get 6.

North Dakota at Home
Georgia Southern at Home
vs Rutgers 2-7  (big ten record)
vs Northwestern 1-8  (big ten record)
Indiana 0-9 at Home  (big ten record)
Illinois 4-5 at Home  (big ten record)

6 wins is progress on paper, and they keep him.  I would not be impressed if these were just the 6 wins tho. 

Personally I think the Huskers get these wins, and will find a way to win 1 (or maybe, possibly 2 wins) against the following

Minn  (at Home)  (6-3 big ten record)

Wisconsin  (at Home)  (6-3 big ten record)

at Purdue  (6-3 big ten record)

at Iowa  (7-2 big ten record)

If they let Frost go, I would hope they consider retaining several on the staff and making Mickey Joseph HC. 

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think 6+ wins and a bowl game and he will be retained, 5 or fewer and he gone.

Personally, with this schedule, my floor is 7 or 8 wins to retain but the people that matter haven’t asked for my input.

I think we're going to get 8-9 wins and none of this will matter. But, depressing as it is, 5 wins with a major upset and the new coaches is probably enough for Frost to last another year.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I think we're going to get 8-9 wins and none of this will matter. But, depressing as it is, 5 wins with a major upset and the new coaches is probably enough for Frost to last another year.

You’re probably right. Considering they didn’t can him after last season, the leash is likely longer than we can imagine.

I agree with the 8-9 wins but I thought that last year…..and pretty much every year since we’ve actually done that. Oddly I still don’t have any respect for the B1G West or most of the East. Can’t really judge based on our opponents when we are our own worst enemy.

If the losses include at least two blowouts, that would be a determining factor next season. The fact Frost didn’t have any blowout loses last year bought him another year. Trev will look at a lot of factors. If he thinks those new offensive coaches are worth keeping, that will affect his decision. 

• Plus1 1