Ex-Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez says Kansas State is 'most talented squad' in career

I think the keys to coaching were revealed in Venables’ post game comments

Venables added: "They obviously were the better team tonight. I thought they played more physical than us, played with better fundamentals, they played with better precision on both sides of the ball." 

42 million and we had no keys. Seems like Frost thought we had to trick and dazzle everyone to win. Then go dormant on defense. The words fundamentals and precision really stick out to me. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

The other thing about that game last night was that KState's receiver #85 is terrible, almost shouldn't even be out on the field. Martinez dropped in two deep dimes right into the guy's hands on key down & distance situations and he just let the ball go through his hands both times. Ironically though he was the guy who caught the onside kick to seal the game.

If that second deep ball had been caught they might have actually wound up adding another touchdown to the score.

Just when Oklahoma would finally double down on plugging the middle for the run game, KState's play caller would go with the quick edge passes to grab 4-5 yards. The Wildcats outcoached Venables' all star staff and kind of made them look dumb in the 4th quarter, so good.

Great example to speak to all of the "Adrian isn't clutch" comments from our fans; when he wasn't surrounded by incompetence and didn't have to make up for 3.5 quarters of f***-up's by everyone else around him and could just stay in his lane, you see how good he actually is. The long scramble at the end of the game iced it instead of needing it to just send the game to overtime, etc.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, BoSolich said:

martinez never had a running back like deuce vaughn to help make plays. 

and frost completely misused  Wan'Dale Robinson which is why he left

our program is just a dumpster fire. luckily for the new coach is he can't do any worse than the previous 2, but fans should stop supporting a bottom feeder program 

Held never developed a RB while he was here....

Reading between the lines, I almost wonder if SF expected Adrian to be a leader as in, the HC level leader that SF wasn't, both on and off the field.   He dumped ALL of that at AM's feet. AM tried his damndest to try to carry it all, but ya, it was never supposed to be his burden to bear. It was supposed to be the grown a$$ 'come after me, I'm 40' coach who was too busy scurrying out to find some brews and a$$ to focus.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
49 minutes ago, Undone said:

The other thing about that game last night was that KState's receiver #85 is terrible, almost shouldn't even be out on the field. Martinez dropped in two deep dimes right into the guy's hands on key down & distance situations and he just let the ball go through his hands both times. Ironically though he was the guy who caught the onside kick to seal the game.

If that second deep ball had been caught they might have actually wound up adding another touchdown to the score.

Just when Oklahoma would finally double down on plugging the middle for the run game, KState's play caller would go with the quick edge passes to grab 4-5 yards. The Wildcats outcoached Venables' all star staff and kind of made them look dumb in the 4th quarter, so good.

Great example to speak to all of the "Adrian isn't clutch" comments from our fans; when he wasn't surrounded by incompetence and didn't have to make up for 3.5 quarters of f***-up's by everyone else around him and could just stay in his lane, you see how good he actually is. The long scramble at the end of the game iced it instead of needing it to just send the game to overtime, etc.

You did know that receiver, KSU #85, was former Husker Kade Warner who transferred with AM……..right?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gage County said:

The purple kitties have a lock-down defense just like us! We held OU to 580 yards, will K-St?

I'd love to see a game where 9AM has the opportunity to put the team on his shoulders and win it with his killer instincts in the last half of the 4th quarter. Just once!

I got what I asked for! It looked like a pretty typical game for AM. Good to see him get a W. OU totalled 550 yards.

Another takeaway from Adrian/KSU's big win is that maybe the Sooners, notwithstanding their performance in Lincoln,  aren't really all that great after all.  Who else had they beaten - UTEP and Kent State.  So KSU was the first real test.  And they flunked.  Good chance they're only a pretty good 8-4 team that hadn't played anyone yet. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't the least bit conflicted watching Adrian Martinez win that game. I was rooting for him and happy for him.

But I also wasn't upset Martinez left. Frost was on the hot seat and his entire Nebraska career would have had him hitched to AM for better or worse. I wanted to see how Frost looked without Martinez.

Not so great, it turns out. I think our current offense with Thompson, Grant, and multiple wide receivers is better than any Martinez offense, and we might even be able to overlook the OL play if the Nebraska defense wasn't among the worst in the nation. 

There is no reason to think fifth year senior Adrian Martinez would have won the games we lost this year. Everyone is pretty much getting what they deserve. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

I think the keys to coaching were revealed in Venables’ post game comments

Venables added: "They obviously were the better team tonight. I thought they played more physical than us, played with better fundamentals, they played with better precision on both sides of the ball." 

42 million and we had no keys. Seems like Frost thought we had to trick and dazzle everyone to win. Then go dormant on defense. The words fundamentals and precision really stick out to me. 

Scott Frost was just, well, lazy. He thought it would be easy. He is the one who has to look in the mirror everyday. The mirror will be looking back. Promise you. No amount of money will make that stop. I’m sure many of the things we have heard are true. Nebraska was in incompetent hands. It shows. Dude should be utterly embarrassed. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

Reading between the lines, I almost wonder if SF expected Adrian to be a leader as in, the HC level leader that SF wasn't, both on and off the field.   He dumped ALL of that at AM's feet. AM tried his damndest to try to carry it all, but ya, it was never supposed to be his burden to bear. It was supposed to be the grown a$$ 'come after me, I'm 40' coach who was too busy scurrying out to find some brews and a$$ to focus.

Amongst other things as well. Incompetence at its finest. And all that talk??  He looks silly nationally. I hope all that cash was worth what once was, a solid reputation, because that’s blown up. It wouldn’t be to me. 

17 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

It'll last more than 4 years to cure Scott's cancerous tenure

I have observed this in life.  That a culture of lazy and half a$$ is really, really hard to break.  Those who are lazy, resent those who work, those who work, often times get burnt out and say "F" it and become lazy.  I think that's what happened here.  Accountability starts at the top....So yes, this culture will be hard to break in year 1.  We need a hard nose coach whose motto is "rise and grind".  Or this guy....

“We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts and then you will run a mile. Perfection. Let's go to work.”
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wasn't the least bit conflicted watching Adrian Martinez win that game. I was rooting for him and happy for him.

But I also wasn't upset Martinez left. Frost was on the hot seat and his entire Nebraska career would have had him hitched to AM for better or worse. I wanted to see how Frost looked without Martinez.

Not so great, it turns out. I think our current offense with Thompson, Grant, and multiple wide receivers is better than any Martinez offense, and we might even be able to overlook the OL play if the Nebraska defense wasn't among the worst in the nation. 

There is no reason to think fifth year senior Adrian Martinez would have won the games we lost this year. Everyone is pretty much getting what they deserve. 

Adrian would still be getting beat to death if he played for us.