Ex-Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez says Kansas State is 'most talented squad' in career

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mike'l Severe had a tweet pointing out that K-State is also 107th in explosive passing plays, so it's a very low-risk, low-reward offense.  I'm not saying it's bad, but it's a contributing factor to the lack of INT's.

Did you play ?  So many times I genuinely appreciate your takes and recognizing.

As a 6'2 baseball recruit that loved playing hoops and reciever, with a big arm, I got thrown into QB my SR year. I got killed out there lol !!!  Made some big throws, scrambled a lot BC I was super fast..... But I still sucked !!! 

I got drafted by the Indians out of HS and signed on....  Anyway, I relate to your takes a lot. Not every one, but most of them.  You seem to see things like a player, if that makes sense :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, admo said:

Did you play ?  So many times I genuinely appreciate your takes and recognizing.

As a 6'2 baseball recruit that loved playing hoops and reciever, with a big arm, I got thrown into QB my SR year. I got killed out there lol !!!  Made some big throws, scrambled a lot BC I was super fast..... But I still sucked !!! 

I signed on with the Indians out of HS....  Anyway, I relate to your takes a lot. Not every one, but most of them.  You seem to see things like a player, if that makes sense :)

Thanks for the kinds words.  :cheers  If you really want to know, I was a pretty average athlete.  My best sport was baseball, but I was still not good enough to play at the Nebraska Class A high school level.  Basically, I am a total sports nerd, and have loved sports my entire life.  I also have a highly analytical/mathematical/statistical mind.  With quantitative/statistical analysis becoming a bigger part of understanding sports, I have tried to take a more analytical approach to sports, and go beyond just the basic numbers.

My son is a pretty good high school athlete, with baseball his best sport.  He is also very smart when it comes to math and science.  I have encouraged him to take an analytical approach to his baseball career, and he has taken to it pretty well.  He's a much better baseball player than his individual skills would show (thanks to his terrible genetics :lol:).  

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Looking at KState's remaining schedule, they're likely to lose at least 4 out of their last 6 games. Hope they don't, but the back half of their schedule is much tougher.

The Big 12 is much more balanced than I thought it would be, and very competitive from top to bottom.  Texas is a much different team with Ewers at QB, although they didn't show much of that against Iowa State last Saturday.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big 12 is much more balanced and competitive from top to bottom.  Texas is a much different team with Ewers at QB, although they didn't show much of that against Iowa State last Saturday.

More balanced than what?

Here's their schedule:

image.png.988a82f56125a575839a4b14ebbf75fe.png

And as far as Iowa State goes, IMO they're fairly anemic this season; I'd say they're missing Breece Hall pretty damn bad right now.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

More balanced than what?

Here's their schedule:

image.png.988a82f56125a575839a4b14ebbf75fe.png

And as far as Iowa State goes, IMO they're fairly anemic this season; I'd say they're missing Breece Hall pretty damn bad right now.

I agree that I poorly worded my post.  I should have said "more balanced than I thought it would be".  It's now edited.

Not that Brock Purdy was amazing, but Iowa State's QB is much worse than Purdy was.  Iowa State had a chance to go up 14-0 early against Texas, and their QB threw a terrible pick in the end zone.  That's how close games turn into losses, which has been a problem for Campbell.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks for the kinds words.  :cheers  If you really want to know, I was a pretty average athlete.  My best sport was baseball, but I was still not good enough to play at the Nebraska Class A high school level.  Basically, I am a total sports nerd, and have loved sports my entire life.  I also have a highly analytical/mathematical/statistical mind.  With quantitative/statistical analysis becoming a bigger part of understanding sports, I have tried to take a more analytical approach to sports, and go beyond just the basic numbers.

My son is a pretty good high school athlete, with baseball his best sport.  He is also very smart when it comes to math and science.  I have encouraged him to take an analytical approach to his baseball career, and he has taken to it pretty well.  He's a much better baseball player than his individual skills would show (thanks to his terrible genetics :lol:).  

Stat nerd!!!!  Lol  :worship:worship  

Sounds like your boy is gonna be awesomeness

And for the life of it,  don't let @teachercd know that I up vote you often.........  He will get jelly and call it lame!  chuckleshuffle

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mike'l Severe had a tweet pointing out that K-State is also 107th in explosive passing plays, so it's a very low-risk, low-reward offense.  I'm not saying it's bad, but it's a contributing factor to the lack of INT's.

Kind of like Purdue's O. A lot of short, high percentage stuff but it sure seems to be getting the job done for them.

• Plus1 1

Well part of it is maximizing your strengths - which they are doing in the run game, and minimizing the weaknesses- thus the low risk passing game.  The coach understands who they got in AM.  

• Plus1 1

I'm rooting for both Adrian Martinez and Casey Thompson this season.

I think they're both in better positions than they were last year.

Would Nebraska have won an extra game or two this year with Adrian's legs?

I don't know. But year five of Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez seemed like a recipe for regret. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Kind of like Purdue's O. A lot of short, high percentage stuff but it sure seems to be getting the job done for them.

Yep, great points.  Plus, Purdue was missing their deep threat WR's, so after O'Connell threw that terrible INT on the first drive of the game, they didn't try many more deep passes.  I can only remember another deep pass to their TE after a flea flicker, which Gifford defended pretty well.

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know. But year five of Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez seemed like a recipe for regret. 

I think we were all ready for a fresh start with a new QB this season.  I'm glad Adrian is playing well and having success, even if it's for that purple team from Kansas.  I was in Kansas for a couple days over the summer and I forgot how much I hated that K-State purple.

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fully agree. Martinez needed a fresh start and a chance to have fun in his final season. I am very happy for him. 

• Plus1 1

Interesting note.

Out of 149 QBs that have attempted at least 50 passes this year, Martinez is #109 in percentage of throws 20+ yards downfield.  Thompson is #35.

• Plus1 1