LIV Golf Tour

As a fan, I'm not liking this. I like the PGA. I like the majors.  I like having the best talent in the PGA.  I'm understanding these players are doing this because they are unhappy with how the PGA is ran.  Not sure what their beef is.

But, the PGA needs to fix whatever it is and get these players back in.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:
As a fan, I'm not liking this. I like the PGA. I like the majors.  I like having the best talent in the PGA.  I'm understanding these players are doing this because they are unhappy with how the PGA is ran.  Not sure what their beef is.

But, the PGA needs to fix whatever it is and get these players back in.

I did not realize there were that many major winners.  But, to be honest, probably only DJ and DeChambeau are likely to be major contenders going forward.

And I don't really know that it will affect the majors that much.  The USGA said those players are still eligible for the US Open.  I would think the R&A will about have to take the same stance for the Open Championship.  And the Masters isn't a PGA Tour event anyway, so I would guess they'll still be invited to Augusta.

The interesting thing will be to see if the exemptions are adjusted for the up-and-coming players that are going to the LIV tour.  If you win a LIV Tour event will that carry the same exemption for some of the majors that winning a PGA Tour event does?

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I did not realize there were that many major winners.  But, to be honest, probably only DJ and DeChambeau are likely to be major contenders going forward.

And I don't really know that it will affect the majors that much.  The USGA said those players are still eligible for the US Open.  I would think the R&A will about have to take the same stance for the Open Championship.  And the Masters isn't a PGA Tour event anyway, so I would guess they'll still be invited to Augusta.

The interesting thing will be to see if the exemptions are adjusted for the up-and-coming players that are going to the LIV tour.  If you win a LIV Tour event will that carry the same exemption for some of the majors that winning a PGA Tour event does?

None of the majors are put on by the PGA Tour, so the majors would need come out and announce these players aren't welcome at their tournament.  However, if enough players join LIV Golf, then it could definitely make the majors seem "less major" without some of the best players in the world.

The big thing LIV Golf is pushing for is OWGR points in their events.  If that happens, that will be a big hurt to the PGA Tour.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...