Which true freshmen won't redshirt this upcoming season?

20 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Duh - I believe someday soon you might just get it.  

I'm not sure any of us would understand without your constant reminders for the last 6 months inside every thread, regardless of topic.  Really appreciate it!

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

That’s because it IS the fundamental consideration in redshirting any players.  Sheesh!   Get it?

Actually it isn't.  Coaches every year make the decision to redshirt or not based on their belief of the players readiness and ability to help the team win.  This isn't the 90s so if your teams name isn't Alabama, you better play your talented freshman or you will lose them.  Players aren't waiting to play if they know they are good enough to play. 

Whether a coaches job is on the line or not, they are starting who they feel gives them the best chance to win, period.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, Vince R. said:

Decoldest Crawford.

A lot of people are going with Bonner and I don't see it yet for him. Decoldest is one of the more ready made WRs Nebraska has signed in a while. He reminds me of Stanley Morgan jr but with a little more physical upside, and better separation skills. 

We played against Decoldest a couple times and I was never all that impressed with him. Our DBs handled him pretty well. We had a pretty stout defense both years we played him, though. I'm just curious to see if he can be a solid D-1 WR. In my opinion Morgan was better coming out of HS but my opinion doesn't mean much.

• Fire 1
42 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We played against Decoldest a couple times and I was never all that impressed with him. Our DBs handled him pretty well. We had a pretty stout defense both years we played him, though. I'm just curious to see if he can be a solid D-1 WR. In my opinion Morgan was better coming out of HS but my opinion doesn't mean much.

Getting to see whole games in person can tell you a lot... sometimes more than what scouts get to see.  I watched a current husker player in high school several times.  My son giving up 50 pounds dominated him so I always questioned why we recruited him.  He still hasn't performed to date.   

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Getting to see whole games in person can tell you a lot... sometimes more than what scouts get to see.  I watched a current husker player in high school several times.  My son giving up 50 pounds dominated him so I always questioned why we recruited him.  He still hasn't performed to date.   

This is why you don't recruit measurables. You recruit attitude, tenacity, drive, and want to. This is one thing Bo tended to get. It didn't always work out, but when it did, we got Lavonte David and Ameer to name a few. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The crapshoot of recruiting... 

That's very interesting and I appreciate that input. This is something that happens often with HS players. He shows enough where he could be a solid D1 receiver physically. As we know, mentality is another animal.

What I like about Decoldest is how we moves, especially with the ball in his hands. He moves like he is looking for the end zone. 

2 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but if freshman comes in and contributes in our running back room then we have some issues. 

Or we have a really good freshman running back...

There have been plenty of truly great freshman running backs.  https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/19/15643524/skins-stats-the-top-10-true-freshman-seasons-by-a-running-back-in

• Plus1 1