Which true freshmen won't redshirt this upcoming season?

7 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I guess it could be a good problem to have, but I feel like there’s not going be enough balls to carry or catch for all of the potential talent. Some guys will not be happy. 

Exactly so how does Nebraska convince their most talented freshman that don't play to be ok to redshirt? I mean i know Nebraska's message to high school kids are hey i will give you every opportunity to play but after this major off season of bringing in transfers and such it be hard for me to understand how i would get that opportunity to play. Definitely don't want to see talented freshman leave bc Nebraska needs growth and development within the freshman class.

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:55 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

Exactly so how does Nebraska convince their most talented freshman that don't play to be ok to redshirt? I mean i know Nebraska's message to high school kids are hey i will give you every opportunity to play but after this major off season of bringing in transfers and such it be hard for me to understand how i would get that opportunity to play. Definitely don't want to see talented freshman leave bc Nebraska needs growth and development within the freshman class.

After fall camp ends and before prep begins for the first game week the head coach typically sits down with every player on the roster and discusses their role for the season. The redshirt guys get the "Hey, you competed hard during camp but there are a lot of talented and experienced guys ahead of you and it's in your best interest to develop for a year and you'll be more impactful to the team as a redshirt senior than a true freshman. Prioritize work outs and the scout team and we'll notice, etc. etc." speech. Nobody obviously likes being told they aren't good enough but some internalize it and use the year to get better and some have a bad attitude and don't.

1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

After fall camp ends and before prep begins for the first game week the head coach typically sits down with every player on the roster and discusses their role for the season. The redshirt guys get the "Hey, you competed hard during camp but there are a lot of talented and experienced guys ahead of you and it's in your best interest to develop for a year and you'll be more impactful to the team as a redshirt senior than a true freshman. Prioritize work outs and the scout team and we'll notice, etc. etc." speech. Nobody obviously likes being told they aren't good enough but some internalize it and use the year to get better and some have a bad attitude and don't.

True but if your a incoming freshman that is talented that knows he can help the team win bc that's why they brought them in the first place with the speech of hey we are close to winning but we need you to help contribute or we could use your talents how does that come across if they give that speech to recruits and then redshirt them. That's my question

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but if your a incoming freshman that is talented that knows he can help the team win bc that's why they brought them in the first place with the speech of hey we are close to winning but we need you to help contribute or we could use your talents how does that come across if they give that speech to recruits and then redshirt them. That's my question

Players who demonstrate in fall camp that they can help the team don't redshirt. Players generally know who can and can't contribute through practice. If somebody's redshirting it's because other players were demonstrably better than them. It doesn't matter if someone "thinks they can help" -- if they don't show coaches evidence of it, tough luck.

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That speech is true if they come into fall camp and prove they are better than the other guys in the room and ready to play.  If they haven't, it really doesn't matter what the recruit thought they heard the coaches telling them before fall camp.

22 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Players who demonstrate in fall camp that they can help the team don't redshirt. Players generally know who can and can't contribute through practice. If somebody's redshirting it's because other players were demonstrably better than them. It doesn't matter if someone "thinks they can help" -- if they don't show coaches evidence of it, tough luck.

Good point

25 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

And, this is where the transfer portal comes into play.  Either the player understands and works hard to develop himself to contribute after his redshirt year, or he doesn't like it and bales to a team that thinks will give him a "more fair chance".  Then, he either does at the new team what his old team wanted him to do and is successful, or he's upset there and bales for the third team.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:18 AM, Huskerfollower4life said:

and i forgot to mention Garcia-Castaneda as well thats how deep the wr room is. So many it would be crazy to have a 9-10 rotation.

He apparently injured a hamstring last season then it flared up on him during winter conditioning.  So he was slowed for a lot of the spring semester.  

I guess it’s all just speculation based on very little hard evidence but one thing seems pretty clear:  it’s now or never time for the coaches and football program. Even the entire Athletics Department’s future is at stake.  2022 is a make or break season. As such, I don’t see the program redshirting many.  The kids don't want to wait their turn after proper learning, growth and maturity time anyway.  Throw them in and they’ll sink or swim.  Transfer portal is chock full of these guys, looking for quick bucks and quick snaps.  Very little team loyalty, camaraderie or commitment today - all about me and mine.   Culture is but a slogan frankly, s as nd seems more elusive than ever.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, GlobalHusker said:

Think any will burn a redshirt for special teams like Hartzog or Hausermann?

With the focus on starters/major contributors being on special teams, I would think we would try and limit their ST-only games. But I could be wrong, Buford burned his last year mostly on special teams. Is Ernest Hausmann doing well? I feel like I kept hearing about Hausmann during spring, but then it would turn out to be the walk-on, Ashton.

8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess it’s all just speculation based on very little hard evidence but one thing seems pretty clear:  it’s now or never time for the coaches and football program. Even the entire Athletics Department’s future is at stake.  2022 is a make or break season.

You serious Clark??  We had no idea.

• Haha 6