Which true freshmen won't redshirt this upcoming season?

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Wasn't Ervin a freshman starter last year?

That is true, what I was alluding to is that in year 5 under Frost it would be nice if we had some depth at the RB position instead of playing incoming freshmen every year.  I just do not think that it is a recipe for success to keep replacing rbs or any position with freshmen unless necessary of course. I would like to see a combination of RBs though and have a FR sprinkled in but to keep having a starting FR RB, I can not see how that would be beneficial to the team.  

Not Earth shattering production from Ervin either

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/gabe-ervin-jr-/43788

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Even at NU there have been some really good freshman seasons

Ahman Green, DeAngelo Evans, Calvin Jones, David Horne, Lawrence Phillips

I mean 3 of those guys played behind the greatest offensive line in the history of Nebraska football, so that might have had something to do with it also. As well as being great athletes. 

• Plus1 1

Oline has been a thorn in my side for a long time. Mainly it's the lack of "we are going to stomp your teeth down your throat" attitude that frustrates me the most. I mean watching the offensive line dominate and then having a 3rd string Nebraska running back go up the middle for 50 yards in the 3rd quarter is what I grew up on. I just think that they are soft mentally. They don't have that burn the ships switch that you need to be a dominating offensive line. 

I understand that there is outliers to it all, but if Nebraska is replacing freshman running back with freshman running back the the evaluation process needs to be adjusted. Its not like Ervin was unseating a 1000 yard rusher I mean Ramir doesn't even have 500 yards over his career let alone season so in that instance yeah lets try the freshman. But in my opinion it would be great to have a returning starter who has racked up some yards and tds who is maybe a JR then the 2ND string is a SO and then you sprinkle in the freshman in mop up duty.   Again if we land the next Derrick Henry  by all means play him but until then lets build some depth and string together a system like Bo had with Helu then Berkhead the Ameer and keep that train chugging. 

Wisconsin has a oline that you can do a plug and play RB, their system is pretty water tight when it comes to Oline and RB. I do wonder where they got that idea from though?