B1G Media Days - July 26-27

• 1 month later...

I found some of these quotes interesting.   Nelson noted some of the off field nastiness they as players have had to face by posting a losing record.  There seems to be a 'mad chip' on their shoulders and they want to win and win now.  

By the comment in bold below, It appears Frost will still have his hand in some of the play calling as 'it is far from absolute'.  We'll see how that goes.  He seems to still 

have a hard time of embracing that change.  I don't think that is a good thing but I hope he and Whip can find a healthy balance.  

https://huskerextra.com/news/football/scott-frost-and-huskers-say-the-time-to-win-is-now-at-big-ten-media/article_7a6768b5-0ea3-5cc3-a9ce-6c376bc3e545.html?utm_source=onesignal&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=2022-07-26-Husker-Football

What’s a successful season? “Winning,” Frost said. Does that mean 12-0, a reporter asked. Frost shot him a glance and stared straight ahead.

“Everything’s right in the world when you win football games, and that hasn’t happened in my life in college yet,” NU edge rusher Garrett Nelson said. “When you have professors or students or campus tour guides talk trash to you or your teammates all the time when you’re just around campus, just the media and everybody, just to hear that constantly, berate your university that you love and the players that you love and the coaches who are father figures who you love and are around every day, it destroys you as a player and as a man.

“So, growing that chip on your shoulder every day, from stuff like that, it’s time to play.”

A reporter then asked Nelson if 2022 was “the year” for Nebraska.

“It’s time to play,” Nelson said. He conceded that Frost — who took severe criticism as a player in the 1990s when the team won national titles — probably would advise Nelson not to care so much about the critics.

“It’s good,” Frost said. “I’m a football coach — that’s what I love to do. The reason I love it is being around the guys, so that part’s been great. I definitely don’t want to ever be just a figurehead. I love the game too much and I love the players too much. I’m going to have my hands in everything we do. That’s probably just going to be more things I’m able to touch.”

Quarterback Casey Thompson is “full go” for camp despite a lingering offseason thumb issue, Frost said. The Texas transfer will take the first rep with the No. 1 unit, Frost said, though the competition will continue. The consensus among other Husker players is a healthy respect for Thompson and his capabilities as a vocal leader.

NU will announce a two-deep “as late as possible” to keep an advantage of uncertainty into the opener.

» Nelson might be the best leader the Huskers have had under Frost, the coach said. The position has upgraded significantly, he added, from both TCU transfer Ochaun Mathis as well as the development of returners like Jimari Butler and Blaise Gunnerson.

» The cohesion of the offensive line will be critical in the coming weeks. Said Frost: “As that group goes, we’re probably going to go.” He said Turner Corcoran, a left tackle in the past, could play anywhere on the line and will likely slot somewhere depending on how others perform in camp.

» The transfer of play-calling duties from Frost to new offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will be far from absolute. The change “makes me a little sad,” Frost said, but it’s also helped him focus in other areas — he’s spent more time around players and with the defense and special teams units. His work with the offense will be collaborative, he said, adding that he isn’t “divorcing himself” from that responsibility.

» Nelson said an offseason chat with his father has helped him refocus for what he expects to be his best season yet. There’s a sense of urgency among the team, he said, but not a sense of panic.

»Tight end Travis Vokolek said the Huskers’ offense, under Whipple, “can fly” and worked at a quick pace.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Thinking back to when Scott was approached after UCF won its conference championship, he acted sore about the media daring to ask him about the Nebraska job saying, "I just want to celebrate with my team." And I brushed that off. Yes, his team had just won the title. Nebraska talk could wait. But he seems to do that every time he is approached by media members. He bristles. He doesn't want to talk. He never talks about his plan or his depth chart and he never wants to discuss injuries. He's always short with the media. He never seems to handle questions well, especially if there is any tension surrounding the situation. Many coaches struggle with the media. But when your team is losing and losing a lot, the way you handle the questions is amplified. Losing coaches are trying to gain the confidence of fans and buy the program the time it needs to turn around. It's hard to have confidence when the coach doesn't look confident. From the first moments of Frost's Nebraska experience, it has looked like the man was out of his depth. And that he realized that. And that he was defensive about it.

It continues to look like that now. 

I think Nebraska has done everything it can to make the most of this situation. Trev really stepped up in making sure that Scott's staying on after last year meant more than just not making a head coaching change. He changed things. We scored some promising coaches, we hit on transfer players. We looked at every aspect of the program.

But Scott has to deliver wins in 2022. It would be nice if he could, at some point, look the part of Cornhusker Head Coach and less like the guy who is afraid somebody is going to realize he's not qualified to do the job.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Thinking back to when Scott was approached after UCF won its conference championship, he acted sore about the media daring to ask him about the Nebraska job saying, "I just want to celebrate with my team." And I brushed that off. Yes, his team had just won the title. Nebraska talk could wait. But he seems to do that every time he is approached by media members. He bristles. He doesn't want to talk. He never talks about his plan or his depth chart and he never wants to discuss injuries. He's always short with the media. He never seems to handle questions well, especially if there is any tension surrounding the situation. Many coaches struggle with the media. But when your team is losing and losing a lot, the way you handle the questions is amplified. Losing coaches are trying to gain the confidence of fans and buy the program the time it needs to turn around. It's hard to have confidence when the coach doesn't look confident. From the first moments of Frost's Nebraska experience, it has looked like the man was out of his depth. And that he realized that. And that he was defensive about it.

It continues to look like that now. 

I think Nebraska has done everything it can to make the most of this situation. Trev really stepped up in making sure that Scott's staying on after last year meant more than just not making a head coaching change. He changed things. We scored some promising coaches, we hit on transfer players. We looked at every aspect of the program.

But Scott has to deliver wins in 2022. It would be nice if he could, at some point, look the part of Cornhusker Head Coach and less like the guy who is afraid somebody is going to realize he's not qualified to do the job.

Nothing Scott says will change the narrative for the season.  The media will highlight that he is on the hot seat anytime Nebraska is discussed.  He knows they are looking for sound bites and I personally like his approach of not giving them to them.  Words aren't going to change this situation...  

• Plus1 5