B1G Media Days - July 26-27

8 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Thinking back to when Scott was approached after UCF won its conference championship, he acted sore about the media daring to ask him about the Nebraska job saying, "I just want to celebrate with my team." And I brushed that off. Yes, his team had just won the title. Nebraska talk could wait. But he seems to do that every time he is approached by media members. He bristles. He doesn't want to talk. He never talks about his plan or his depth chart and he never wants to discuss injuries. He's always short with the media. He never seems to handle questions well, especially if there is any tension surrounding the situation. Many coaches struggle with the media. But when your team is losing and losing a lot, the way you handle the questions is amplified. Losing coaches are trying to gain the confidence of fans and buy the program the time it needs to turn around. It's hard to have confidence when the coach doesn't look confident. From the first moments of Frost's Nebraska experience, it has looked like the man was out of his depth. And that he realized that. And that he was defensive about it.

It continues to look like that now. 

I think Nebraska has done everything it can to make the most of this situation. Trev really stepped up in making sure that Scott's staying on after last year meant more than just not making a head coaching change. He changed things. We scored some promising coaches, we hit on transfer players. We looked at every aspect of the program.

But Scott has to deliver wins in 2022. It would be nice if he could, at some point, look the part of Cornhusker Head Coach and less like the guy who is afraid somebody is going to realize he's not qualified to do the job.

Why talk? Seriously? The more you say the more your words are twisted and used against you in today's media world. You say a fun feel good quote about hoping the BIG needs to adjust to Frosts offensive style of play, nothing more than a fun, confident, feel good throw away line, and now its jabbed at you like a knife every play that doesn't result in a TD. 

If you laugh and have fun with the press, you're aloof, unaware of your hotseat, and maybe not serious enough to appropriately tackle the rebuilt. If you engage both positively and negatively addressing each question appropriately, you're bi-polar and "Jekyll and hide" and your inconsistency is why you lose games. If you're short and to the point, your a defensive a-hole. Seriously in today's world there is NO winning. The media will spin the narrative that gets clicks, which usually isn't the good one. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I agree that words won't change perception. 

At the same time, I think Scott could look a bit more confident. And speak with confidence.

I feel some confidence in looking at all the moves we have made through the transfer portal. The coaches seem like positive additions.

But then Scott talks. And I am like... well, maybe I shouldn't be confident.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
12 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Thinking back to when Scott was approached after UCF won its conference championship, he acted sore about the media daring to ask him about the Nebraska job saying, "I just want to celebrate with my team." And I brushed that off. Yes, his team had just won the title. Nebraska talk could wait. But he seems to do that every time he is approached by media members. He bristles. He doesn't want to talk. He never talks about his plan or his depth chart and he never wants to discuss injuries. He's always short with the media. He never seems to handle questions well, especially if there is any tension surrounding the situation. Many coaches struggle with the media. But when your team is losing and losing a lot, the way you handle the questions is amplified. Losing coaches are trying to gain the confidence of fans and buy the program the time it needs to turn around. It's hard to have confidence when the coach doesn't look confident. From the first moments of Frost's Nebraska experience, it has looked like the man was out of his depth. And that he realized that. And that he was defensive about it.

It continues to look like that now. 

I listened to Frost's entire presser and I didn't come away with this perception at all. I thought he sounded much more comfortable in this role than ever. He seemed relaxed, his voice was always moderate, he was matter-of-fact and up front. He didn't talk around any questions and he gave pretty straightforward answers. The only thing he didn't answer pertained to depth charts and scheme. 

He was pretty open about where he's at with this job, the pressure it puts on all Big Ten coaches, and the need to win. He gave really good answers about the Dublin trip and our preparations for it, including meals and training schedules. 

Were you able to listen to this presser or are you talking about past pressers? Because he has been abrupt in the past, I'll agree to that. But I didn't see that today.

• Plus1 1

Past pressers. I just read the few quotes on here. And the part about how someone said 12-0 and he just "stared straight ahead."

I am happy to hear that he seems comfortable. 

We are either going to win. Or we aren't. Being defensive won't help and I am glad to hear that he was comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Why talk? Seriously? The more you say the more your words are twisted and used against you in today's media world. You say a fun feel good quote about hoping the BIG needs to adjust to Frosts offensive style of play, nothing more than a fun, confident, feel good throw away line, and now its jabbed at you like a knife every play that doesn't result in a TD. 

If you laugh and have fun with the press, you're aloof, unaware of your hotseat, and maybe not serious enough to appropriately tackle the rebuilt. If you engage both positively and negatively addressing each question appropriately, you're bi-polar and "Jekyll and hide" and your inconsistency is why you lose games. If you're short and to the point, your a defensive a-hole. Seriously in today's world there is NO winning. The media will spin the narrative that gets clicks, which usually isn't the good one.

Everything you say can and will be held against you in the court of public opinion.

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

Past pressers. I just read the few quotes on here. And the part about how someone said 12-0 and he just "stared straight ahead."

I am happy to hear that he seems comfortable. 

We are either going to win. Or we aren't. Being defensive won't help and I am glad to hear that he was comfortable. 

What a stupid-a$$ question. I mean what the hell is a coach who just went 3-9 supposed to say to a question like that?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Amazing....a press conference where we can hear the questions.

I listened to the 10/11 feed and couldn't hear the questions - but I could hear one of the Husker players being interviewed about 10 feet from the mic. It was pretty annoying.

• Haha 1