B1G Media Days - July 26-27

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This whole issue is stupid. A week ago, everyone thought Mike Leach was awesome because his opening comments were 7 words long.  Now, we have media in Nebraska trying their hardest to create controversy over this 4 seconds. 

Tom needs to try real hard to write something fans care about. 

No kidding.

The complaining just to complain article is lame.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, jager said:

Stanford and Cal bring the San Fran market. Plus Stanford brings HUGE academic standing and research and would help bring ND (most of the teams they play would be in the BIG). The BIG does still put some emphasis on academics, unlike some other conferences.  

That is why I said on their own. Using Stanford as a carrot for ND has been discussed. Maybe both Stanford and Cal together bring a TV market, but you have to divide up the pie further. Stanford used to regularly win the directors cup because of Olympic sports and the shear number of sports they offerr, but those were cut back recently. their football was terrible until Harbaugh turned it around. I wonder if it's headed back in the wrong direction. They are a great academic fit, maybe the research money both schools bring in to the consortium would tip the scale in their favor.

It wasn't the silence, it was Scott Frost. Frost was the only coach not to have any opening statement. His answers were as low energy as could be. This event is for the head coaches and ADs to really sell their schools, talk up their coaches, talk up their players, and what they're doing. Frost summarized the Cliff Notes for us.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Gage County said:

It wasn't the silence, it was Scott Frost. Frost was the only coach not to have any opening statement. His answers were as low energy as could be. This event is for the head coaches and ADs to really sell their schools, talk up their coaches, talk up their players, and what they're doing. Frost summarized the Cliff Notes for us.

Yeah and that is fair, I get that.  

In the end, the writers and radio hosts want/need more, so I get why they get a bit cranky and us fans want more and more.

52 minutes ago, Gage County said:

And if he had talked up any part of the program it would have been torn apart by media and fans alike because nobody coming off a 3 win season has any credibility.  Media days is always a lose, lose proposition for coaches on the hot seat.  He had an obvious strategy to say as little as possible and I personally liked it.  What is there really left to say?  Get it done on the field this year and the narrative changes.  

• Plus1 9
45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah and that is fair, I get that.  

In the end, the writers and radio hosts want/need more, so I get why they get a bit cranky and us fans want more and more.

You know that if Frost came out and gave some 10-minute rah-rah speech they'd be writing about how he's full of s#!t and trying to build facade to cover up the myriad of issues inside the program 

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

You know that if Frost came out and gave some 10-minute rah-rah speech they'd be writing about how he's full of s#!t and trying to build facade to cover up the myriad of issues inside the program 

"We have heard it all before" would be the article tone.

• Plus1 3

Just now, GSG said:

The problem is - not saying sends the message if I don’t have anything good to say, I’ll just say nothing.  Basically “no comment” to most people.  We expect some “rah rah” as that’s what fans support teams/programs and watch games for - to cheer and discuss and debate and do so louder than their opponents.

It’s a game that most don’t get to play at anything above rank amateur level.  We can’t live the dream, except vicariously so we cheer for the lucky few who play for real and want them to excel!  Nothing wrong with being avid fans - without them, the game doesn’t happen.  

They used to say “Feed the monster.”   The Red Sea is the monster and it’s very hungry.  The last thing you want to do is starve the beast of information.  There are plenty of things that the athletics dept can be doing to fill the void of news that will help the fan base better relate and empathize with the team and it’s struggles in winning, without just deceiving and spinning.  Help the monster understand why the wins aren’t coming and give them reasons for hope and optimism about the future.  Transparency is good for the soul. 

The Husker Nation’s anxiety level is ultra high (as high as it’s been in 50 years).  Anxious people often overreact and say and do rash things.  Calming and reassuring words and actions are needed.  Frost is our leader and we want him to be great (as he can well be)!   GBR!! 

• Plus1 1

If the press want better comments from Frost then they should ask better questions. He gave them 30 minutes to ask whatever they wanted, and for the most part he answered every question. The only things he didn't get specific on were scheme and depth. 

This is among the dumber complaints from Nebraska's press corp. And it's no surprise Shatel is at the forefront of those complaining. 

Edit to add - we have some fantastic journalists who cover Husker sports. We are pretty lucky, all things considered.

And then we have Shatel. And I honestly can't understand why he's still at the OWH.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

He posted an article in the afternoon congratulating him on being all business. Screw Shatel

Yes, he did.  The one in the afternoon had a lot of the same stuff, he obviously went back and edited it.  The earlier one had a completely different tone to it.  He talked about Frost being business like and it had a bit more of a positive spin.  I bet an editor wanted a little more bite to the article. 

I don't have anything to say about the silence or how Frost answered questions.  The quote from Garrett Nelson about wanting to see Frost happy again is telling to me.  Coming out on stage with his top button unbuttoned under a poorly tied tie is weird.  He looked, as usual, hungover and sloppy.  I don't know what to make of it other than to say he looked like our teams have played over the past few years.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, GSG said:

yup, damned if u do damned if u dont... frosty got heat for saying too much and now getting local heat for not saying enough, go figure

frankly, media days is such a joke of an event.  Zero upside all risk for a misspeak from coaches.  seems like an event conferences put on to appease B- journalists so they can have "access" to the teams

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

Shatel writes like a guy getting paid by the word.

He reminds me of a s#!tty professor who achieved tenure and now is even s#!ttier knowing he prolly wont get forced out

• Plus1 1