** 2022 Previews: CBS Sports Big Ten Win Total Predictions **

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I actually think he is brilliant.

He kept the guy around that all of us want to be coach (we just want wins now).  TA has played this perfectly.  His clock as AD has not even started yet.

If this works, TA looks brilliant and TA is the AD for years and years.

If it doesn't work, TA gets to hire a new football coach AND THEN his AD clock starts.  

Yeah. I highly doubt he wanted to start things off in his first nine months on the job firing the Scott Frost.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. I highly doubt he wanted to start things off in his first nine months on the job firing the Scott Frost.

Yep...unless there was "another Frost" out there, like Grant Wistrom was a HC and had been killing it.

TA was stuck...hire a young guy?  Uh oh...hire an old guy...no chance.

He played it brilliantly.  

His AD clock doesn't even start until Frost is fired/retires. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Undone said:

I am very confident that Scott didn't make the decision to fire the four offensive coaches and do the necessary shuffling to get Bill Busch in place as a dedicated special teams coach. I think that was Alberts & the administration doing his job for him.

There's no way that after that Ohio State loss when the losing record was sealed that Frost sat down with Alberts and said "Ok, check out this great plan I have here."

No. It was almost certainly the other way around. Frost is so damn lucky to not have gotten fired after going 3-9 that it's just absurd. It's up to Whipple, Chinander, & Busch to make up for all of Scott's problems as a visionary for putting together a good football team in Lincoln.

Agree 100%

There is a reason Frosts buyout drops astronomically after the first month of the season.

TA used Frosts ego against him to make firing him cheaper.  Now, I’m sure TA is 100% rooting for SF to win, I don’t believe he wants to fire him.  BUT, he definitely hedged his bet…

• Plus1 3
52 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agree 100%

There is a reason Frosts buyout drops astronomically after the first month of the season.

TA used Frosts ego against him to make firing him cheaper.  Now, I’m sure TA is 100% rooting for SF to win, I don’t believe he wants to fire him.  BUT, he definitely hedged his bet…

I don't know if I think describing that as Scott's ego is fair.

Frost agreed to it when he didn't have to. He essentially bet, what, $7 million on himself succeeding? I guess you can interpret that as ego, but I actually interpret that more as a tough spoonful of humility admitting that he has thus far failed and thinks he can fix it. If his ego was totally unchecked he wouldn't have agreed to a restructure at all imo.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't know if I think describing that as Scott's ego is fair.

Frost agreed to it when he didn't have to. He essentially bet, what, $7 million on himself succeeding? I guess you can interpret that as ego, but I actually interpret that more as a tough spoonful of humility admitting that he has thus far failed and thinks he can fix it. If his ego was totally unchecked he wouldn't have agreed to a restructure at all imo.

Yes.  He’s failed and still thinks he can fix it.  His ego gave him the nuts to take that deal.  No one with a straight face can say there wasn’t some sort of “come to Jesus” talk between Alberts and Frost.

Hopefully they both come out on top.  That’s the ingenuity of TA’s proposition.  Everyone (most everyone…) is rooting for the same thing.  But if/when reality hits; Alberts looks like a genius!

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Yes.  He’s failed and still thinks he can fix it.  His ego gave him the nuts to take that deal.  No one with a straight face can say there wasn’t some sort of “come to Jesus” talk between Alberts and Frost.

Hopefully they both come out on top.  That’s the ingenuity of TA’s proposition.  Everyone (most everyone…) is rooting for the same thing.  But if/when reality hits; Alberts looks like a genius!

Not saying it was a bad move at all.  I agree with his course of action completely.  However he won't look like a genius nationally.  He will be seen as someone who copied what Michigan did. 

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

I actually think he is brilliant.

He kept the guy around that all of us want to be coach (we just want wins now).  TA has played this perfectly.  His clock as AD has not even started yet.

If this works, TA looks brilliant and TA is the AD for years and years.

If it doesn't work, TA gets to hire a new football coach AND THEN his AD clock starts.  

Trev and Scott are not the only characters in this play.

• Haha 1