Tangent Thread - Pelini Retrospective

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

FwIzrv.gif

Full disclosure. I met Mike Riley (and Dee) several times at the local coffee shop. They just came over and sat down with us the first time, and we had a chat about Lincoln and the weather and random stuff. You'd never have known he was the head coach of the Huskers. Dee was the sweetest woman, and Coach was super regular and personable. It's really too bad it didn't work out. He's the kind of guy you'd want running the show here.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Full disclosure. I met Mike Riley (and Dee) several times at the local coffee shop. They just came over and sat down with us the first time, and we had a chat about Lincoln and the weather and random stuff. You'd never have known he was the head coach of the Huskers. Dee was the sweetest woman, and Coach was super regular and personable. It's really too bad it didn't work out. He's the kind of guy you'd want running the show here.

I just cringe at the thought of a coach five years from now that makes us long for Frost!

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cool beans. That sounds very plausible. As a human being I'm sure Mike was (and is) wonderful. As a P.R. palate cleanser after where we wound up with Bo? Superb. 

But yeah, clearly things didn't work out. Seems like Mike is still doing great for himself, so glad to see he made it out well. Besides, Nebraska football (and men's sports in general) have been hurtling towards mediocrity and irrelevance and/or circling the drain of sucktitude for a really long time now. I'm not sure anyone had a great shot at stopping that kind of inertia.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Cool beans. That sounds very plausible. As a human being I'm sure Mike was (and is) wonderful. As a P.R. palate cleanser after where we wound up with Bo? Superb. 

But yeah, clearly things didn't work out. Seems like Mike is still doing great for himself, so glad to see he made it out well. Besides, Nebraska football (and men's sports in general) have been hurtling towards mediocrity and irrelevance and/or circling the drain of sucktitude for a really long time now. I'm not sure anyone had a great shot at stopping that kind of inertia.

He was absolutely a palate cleanser for us after Bo. He was not a good fit here, but that was neither a reflection on his abilities or person, nor was it an indictment of us. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He was absolutely a palate cleanser for us after Bo. He was not a good fit here, but that was neither a reflection on his abilities or person, nor was it an indictment of us. 

Bo Pelini’s downfall was due to a lack of commitment from admin. 

If Trev Alberts was AD then and gave the same vote of confidence to BP as he had SF, we would rule the West!

Pelini was a hot head, and his fuse was lit from within the dept.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Bo Pelini’s downfall was due to a lack of commitment from admin. 

If Trev Alberts was AD then and gave the same vote of confidence to BP as he had SF, we would rule the West!

Pelini was a hot head, and his fuse was lit from within the dept.

So what's the excuse for the years with Tom Osborne as AD defending him at every turn before Eichorst was part of the equation?

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

So what's the excuse for the years with Tom Osborne as AD defending him at every turn before Eichorst was part of the equation?

You mean like going to a Championship game 3 out of the 5 years?  In 2 different conferences? And a tie for first in the division a 4th time but a really good Missouri team owning tie breaker? 

Youre right, no excuse for any of that…

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You mean like going to a Championship game 3 out of the 6 years?  And a tie for first in the division a 4th time but a really good Missouri team owning tie breaker?  Or the season he beat a good Georgia team in the Gator Bowl?

Youre right, no excuse for any of that…

Yep and he finished 1st or 2nd pretty much every season.

What he did under TO is what he did under Eichorst.  In fact, if Bo had Moose as his AD, he would still be here, still winning games and probably winning the west every other year.  Moose would have been exactly what Bo needed in an AD compared to Eich.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep and he finished 1st or 2nd pretty much every season.

What he did under TO is what he did under Eichorst.  In fact, if Bo had Moose as his AD, he would still be here, still winning games and probably winning the west every other year.  Moose would have been exactly what Bo needed in an AD compared to Eich.

Yeah I had my number of years off of TO being AD.  I edited my post, but you’re right.  Pelini continued to do what he did.  His attitude just got really sour because I’m sure he just felt disrespected.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yeah I had my number of years off of TO being AD.  I edited my post, but you’re right.  Pelini continued to do what he did.  His attitude just got really sour because I’m sure he just felt disrespected.

Moose and Bo would have been like so many other famous duos, Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Dr. Frankenstein and his monster, Beevis and Butthead.

Moose would have kept the donors happy, smiling and drunk...he would have ran "interference" for Bo and he would have had his back, he would not have been hiding in his bunker.  Bo would have thrived with a "good ole boy" type AD that he could have had real talks with...

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Moose and Bo would have been like so many other famous duos, Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Dr. Frankenstein and his monster, Beevis and Butthead.

Moose would have kept the donors happy, smiling and drunk...he would have ran "interference" for Bo and he would have had his back, he would not have been hiding in his bunker.  Bo would have thrived with a "good ole boy" type AD that he could have had real talks with...

Moos in a gold dress and mascara is an image I didn’t need today…

• Haha 5
6 hours ago, funhusker said:

I edited my post, but you’re right.  Pelini continued to do what he did. 

His consistency across Osborne and Eichorst sort of argues against the idea that he got fired because of lack of AD support.

Football coaches survive based off of successfully solving the equation of wins acquired and level of a$$h@!ery. Bo was too much of an a$$h@!e to balance out with the number of wins he got. It's really that simple. If he would've been closer to championship level football in year 7 than he was in year 1, his a$$h@!ery could've been accepted and balanced out.