OL Recruiting: 5 Year B10 West

4* OL in the past 5 years. This is why I think Raiola is the most vital piece to getting back to glory. We have the athletes, but lack the recruiting and development of offensive linemen. 

Wisconsin 8 

Iowa 8

Nebraska 3

Northwestern 2 

Minnesota 2 

Purdue 1 

Illniois 1

• Plus1 2

It doesn't take a graph to know that Nebraska hasn't been as consistent as far as signing higher ranked recruits up front.  This should always be a priority imo and also regardless of their individual rankings.  Identifying the talent and then putting in that work to try to get them here.

Then developing what you have obviously.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

4* OL in the past 5 years. This is why I think Raiola is the most vital piece to getting back to glory. We have the athletes, but lack the recruiting and development of offensive linemen. 

Wisconsin 8 

Iowa 8

Nebraska 3

Northwestern 2 

Minnesota 2 

Purdue 1 

Illniois 1

I think it's more so lack of development and execution.  I'm guessing this list doesn't include Jurgens as I count 4 4* OL (teddy, benhart, corcoran and cam)

I'd certainly take more 4* talent on the lines but im more concerned with our ability to actually develop them.  Cam was drafted high but felt like it took us 2 years to actually get him to an acceptable level of play- need more of cams behind him and make the depth chart plug and play through effective development

9 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think it's more so lack of development and execution.  I'm guessing this list doesn't include Jurgens as I count 4 4* OL (teddy, benhart, corcoran and cam)

I'd certainly take more 4* talent on the lines but im more concerned with our ability to actually develop them.  Cam was drafted high but felt like it took us 2 years to actually get him to an acceptable level of play- need more of cams behind him and make the depth chart plug and play through effective development

And the minute he reached acceptability he declared for the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And the minute he reached acceptability he declared for the draft. 

Yup, i cant blame the guy.  Perhaps he coulda worked up to first round status with one more year but id argue injury risk woulda been much more likely for him.  

I'm really banking on Raiola being much more effective at coaching the fundamentals.  That story of frosty bringing in that ex o lineman and he corrected cam's snapping s#!t in 5 mins when our own o line coach couldnt fix it for 2 years was just inexcusable

• Plus1 2

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless our NIL game is one of the strongest out there to funnel good amounts of practically-guaranteed money into these kids' pockets, Nebraska won't really move those numbers up on 4 star recruits.

If anything our 3-9 dumpster fire capstone from last year will probably push the averages lower.

Developing players is the only hope at this point and it's even more important with Nouili out and Jurgens gone.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Wisconsin 8 

Iowa 8

Not saying we can't do better.

But Wisconsin's recruits are from Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.  They've only had to go more than 300 miles to get one of them.

I only count six for Iowa (possibly depending on the service) and they are from Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa and they are all in a 500-mile radius.

So when you're getting half of them in-state and the rest basically next door, that does help.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

But Wisconsin's recruits are from Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.  They've only had to go more than 300 miles to get one of them.

I only count six for Iowa (possibly depending on the service) and they are from Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa and they are all in a 500-mile radius.

So when you're getting half of them in-state and the rest basically next door, that does help.

I blame the people of Nebraska then.  Choose your mates better, make sure you are feeding your kids.  Coach the big men better and get them to camps.  Problem solved.  more 4*s

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

This. Also, if anyone notices, when they do have 4* (or higher) commits in their classes, they usually are OL from those areas with a LB or two as well; The Pennsylvania kid is somewhat of a legacy as he has an older brother on the team. It's the main thing they have on us from a personnel standpoint.

There is a quote out there by Gunita stating he wanted Nebraska to focus more on securing kids from the region which I feel is needed. They are more likely to commit, stay committed and stay in your program allowing development and continuity where Wisconsin thrives as they have a very low rate of transfers. Between Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri and South Dakota we can find similar OL talent needed to close that gap Wisconsin has built up to.

Where we will always have an upper hand is the ability to attract skill, that will look better with good OL play, that Wisconsin will continue to struggle with by virtue of their style.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

This. Also, if anyone notices, when they do have 4* (or higher) commits in their classes, they usually are OL from those areas with a LB or two as well; The Pennsylvania kid is somewhat of a legacy as he has an older brother on the team. It's the main thing they have on us from a personnel standpoint.

There is a quote out there by Gunita stating he wanted Nebraska to focus more on securing kids from the region which I feel is needed. They are more likely to commit, stay committed and stay in your program allowing development and continuity where Wisconsin thrives as they have a very low rate of transfers. Between Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri and South Dakota we can find similar OL talent needed to close that gap Wisconsin has built up to.

Where we will always have an upper hand is the ability to attract skill, that will look better with good OL play, that Wisconsin will continue to struggle with by virtue of their style.

Agree.  Wisconsin has had some good RBs.  But, it's much easier to look like a really good RB when you have a really good O line.  The rest of their skill positions haven't impressed.  We have gotten a lot of O linemen out of the states you mentioned over the years. Problem is they really haven't been developed well.  Hopefully that changes.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Yea, I don't think there is any reason we should have to go more than 500 miles to recruit a good offensive lineman.  And this is not a statement that I think we should recruit more Nebraska kids, as I think we are doing a good job in that regard now.  But I would love if somebody could breakdown the % of kids from Nebraska that ended up either starting or providing meaningful depth vs the rest.  I would guess that at least 50-75% of in state scholarship kids end up as meaningful contributors.  I could also be way off base with that but I'd say our "hit" rate is much higher with the kids that are closer to home.

9 hours ago, lo country said:

If we can't recruit what we "want" then develop what we "can".  It's that simple.  Development has been pitiful on much of the O side of the ball.  I'll add recruiting misses and injuries didn't help.  

Exactly but what also hasn't helped was having a oline coach put players in positions that they don't belong in. Too many times i see former oline players from NU not be in the best position to develop like say Trent Hixson for example not to take anything away from him being a former walk on a guard position can't remember which one and he is as stiff as a board not being able to slide his feet or bend his knees so he doesn't get beat on the play and that's just not him throughout the years. I don't know why Nebraska coaches like playing i will experiment on a kid.

• Plus1 2