USC and UCLA to the B1G

Went back and looked at some stuff from a year ago, specifically some of this guy's tweets, which seem to have been decently accurate.

Here's what he was saying a few months ago. Talks a lot about schools realizing that a lot of the booster money that used to come to them will now go to NIL instead, which changes the math for conference affiliation.

And these just a couple weeks ago...

And in the last day or so. Sounds like Jack Swarbrick decides where things go from here...

This morning:

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

1855612954_Superconferences.PNG.126f034bff7fc8398922b8b0c33fb9c3.PNG787116442_Superconferences2.PNG.55d09e5d59082ac137b8d7dccea96305.PNG

I know this goes directly against what is happening right now, but in speaking of super conferences, I would like to see them shake out something like this. The 4 super conferences take some stretching from lower caliber programs. The 3 super conferences keep every team I believe is worthy of P5. I just wanted to see what it would look like, and with the first conference alignment with 4 teams, almost every school plays within its own time zone - besides RMT and PST. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

1855612954_Superconferences.PNG.126f034bff7fc8398922b8b0c33fb9c3.PNG787116442_Superconferences2.PNG.55d09e5d59082ac137b8d7dccea96305.PNG

I know this goes directly against what is happening right now, but in speaking of super conferences, I would like to see them shake out something like this. The 4 super conferences take some stretching from lower caliber programs. The 3 super conferences keep every team I believe is worthy of P5. I just wanted to see what it would look like, and with the first conference alignment with 4 teams, almost every school plays within its own time zone - besides RMT and PST. 

Why would you even take the time to do this when you know thats not the direction it's headed?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah some (many) Big Ten fans are just uppity pricks. When it comes to football or basketball or any sport who gives a FF about academics? Nobody is more sorry than Nebraska fans that we’ve sucked on the football field ever since joining this self important bunch of douchebags but these dopes act like academics actually matter in that context. $10 says that was a Michigan or Northwestern (who shouldn’t even have sports) fan talking out their a$$.

Big Ten alums have had it beat down in their minds that they all attended an Ivy of the midwest.

But for the most part it is NW, then Illinois for computer science or engineering, same with Purdue.

After that, no employer cares if you went to Indiana or South Dakota State.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, IgniteTheSpark said:

Why would you even take the time to do this when you know thats not the direction it's headed?

It was copy paste, I didn't have anything to do for 15 minutes at work. And ultimately I think all the conferences will implode and a different governing body would guide the conferences to look something like this.

7 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

It was copy paste, I didn't have anything to do for 15 minutes at work. And ultimately I think all the conferences will implode and a different governing body would guide the conferences to look something like this.

Fair enough. I think only the top brands will survive with a new governing body. I think it's more likely the Top 50 or so are the top of the top, then the next group will be ahead of the FCS but clearly below the top Brands.

Just now, IgniteTheSpark said:

Fair enough. I think only the top brands will survive with a new governing body. I think it's more likely the Top 50 or so are the top of the top, then the next group will be ahead of the FCS but clearly below the top Brands.

I agree- believe me, I cringed while putting new mexico and nmsu in a super conference. 

43 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

Why would you only have 3 super conferences?  If you have 4, it makes each one smaller to be able to get a better champion and then 4 for a playoff at the end of the year.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Why would you only have 3 super conferences?  If you have 4, it makes each one smaller to be able to get a better champion and then 4 for a playoff at the end of the year.

I don't know. Why did kamikaze's wear crash helmets?

• Haha 2

The problem here is that it comes down to viewership. To have 4 super conferences means a schools need to be added to the equation. 

There are schools in the current P5 that are going to be left out, they just don't have any reason to be included anymore, and that's also the unfortunate thing for them. TV is about business and money, not tradition. So for example...why add UCF into the fold of 4 super conferences when you already have 3 other florida schools? It's like adding MLB baseball to Omaha, which is the KC market. Makes zero sense regarding viewership. 

So I think it's ultimately headed to 2 conferences similar look as AFC/NFC and then play it off till you get to a proverbial super bowl. I see both leagues getting to about 24-30 schools. Which means there will be between 5-17 schools getting left out. imo

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Big Ten alums have had it beat down in their minds that they all attended an Ivy of the midwest.

But for the most part it is NW, then Illinois for computer science or engineering, same with Purdue.

unless maybe you are trying to get a job with Mark Cuban or at Steak and Shake or Chipotle

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hey wait a minute, I graduated from SDSU:o

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

I feel like that is a mistake.  

No reason to not take more when you could lose them.  

But what do Oregon and Washington bring incrementally?  If you are bringing them in, the value of adding them has to outweigh the cost of splitting the pie 2 more ways.  But, mathematically, a 1/18th share isn't all that different than a 1/16th share.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G