USC and UCLA to the B1G

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if Stanford joins, that's more enticing for ND.  But, you're waiting to ask Stanford to join till after ND joins.  That doesn't make much sense.

If you really are wanting to get to 20.  Ask Oregon, Washington and Stanford to join. You're at 19.  If ND, once again, has such an ego that they say no, then go find someone else....or, wait a few years and ND will become more irrelevant as an independent and decide to join.

It's odd because I think Stanford is not as enticed by ND as they would be UO/UW but ND wants Stanford because of their traditional games just like USC. I truly think UO/UW are just fortunate to be the biggest players for Stanford. Otherwise they wouldn't even be given a thought. Stanford has been oddly silent along with Notre Dame. I'm not sure UO/UW know they are even are part of it yet.

It's kind of an odd triangle. 

Stanford brings no extra monetary value to the B1G.  It only is a way for the university presidents to fellate themselves.

And let's not pretend that Stanford is some historic rival of ND.  Their annual meeting only started in 1988.  And ND playing their last game of the year at Stanford (in odd years) only started in 1999.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Stanford brings no extra monetary value to the B1G.  It only is a way for the university presidents to fellate themselves.

And let's not pretend that Stanford is some historic rival of ND.  Their annual meeting only started in 1988.  And ND playing their last game of the year at Stanford (in odd years) only started in 1999.

Stanford is an amazing school and they have great athletic programs, but you are exactly right.  They have a super small alumni base and they don't have a big following.  I remember Stanford would be playing PAC-12 Championship Games and they would have no fans there.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It doesn't matter what you and I think about it.  It matters what ND thinks about it.  If the conference is wanting to get to 20 teams and have ND included in that, and ND says they want Stanford, then you go try to get Stanford.  ND has always made so much sense to be in the Big Ten for everyone involved.  The only reason they aren't is because of their egos.  Well...their egos might be starting to realize if they don't join, they are going to be left behind.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It doesn't matter what you and I think about it.  It matters what ND thinks about it.  If the conference is wanting to get to 20 teams and have ND included in that, and ND says they want Stanford, then you go try to get Stanford.  ND has always made so much sense to be in the Big Ten for everyone involved.  The only reason they aren't is because of their egos.  Well...their egos might be starting to realize if they don't join, they are going to be left behind.

Bingo. ND is the prized jewel in all of college football. If we have to grab Stanford for it to work. You do it. Even if they had ZERO fanbase

Just now, IgniteTheSpark said:

Bingo. ND is the prized jewel in all of college football. If we have to grab Stanford for it to work. You do it. Even if they had ZERO fanbase

Well, I wouldn't go that far.  I had to choke back my puke reading that.  But, they are a big player and geographically, it makes sense for them to be in the Big Ten.  If we can get to 20 with ND, Oregon, Washington and Stanford.....go for it.  I can't imagine many changes after that for a long time.

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How is a 35 year straight history of playing each other not a historic rivalry?

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

How is a 35 year straight history of playing each other not a historic rivalry?

I mean Stanford is probably 6th on the ranking of ND's rivals behind USC, Navy, Michigan, Michigan St, and Purdue.

And I was wrong, they have been playing each other annually since 1997.  I have t shirts that are older than that.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G