USC and UCLA to the B1G

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I'd add Colorado

I don't think so. I'd be willing to be they end up getting an invite somewhere in the grand scheme of it because of the Colorado base. There's no other university there that's even an option.

I think Colorado is in a better position than Duke is. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

I would say that about pretty much everyone left in the Big 12. At this point their biggest brand for football is what, Oklahoma State? Cincinnati? I mean they're good teams, but not exactly valuable brands in the CFB world, right? And at this point, it's the brands that matter most, even more than geographical markets. (Being in a big cable TV market isn't as important in the streaming era. Maryland and Rutgers are lucky they got in when they did.)

This x1000

If they use a Pod system and with how big of a jewel ND is. Don't be surprised to have some geography thrown out. 

I HIGHLY doubt ND being in a geographic division when USC, and Stanford are the ones they want. 

I would like to see 3 protected games, and then play 9 others. In this system you don't need non con games. Get in and freaking go. 

Didn't read the whole thread, but is it possible that the Oregon States, Wazzous, and Iowa State of the world could be a tier 2 B1G team and the league goes the route of soccer's promotion/delegation model?  Probably not, but examples in the past would be early 80's Miami, late 70's FSU, 00's Boise State.  In typical HuskerBoard fashion, proceed with stoning the new user.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'd add Colorado

From a strictly personal standpoint it wouldn't bother me a bit if they added CU, KSU, KU & ISU and made them our core games so we could play them every year. I know it makes now sense in this only thing that matters is money world we live in but I grew up with the Big 8 and having those derivable games every year against old foes would be fun.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Husker Gen said:

Didn't read the whole thread, but is it possible that the Oregon States, Wazzous, and Iowa State of the world could be a tier 2 B1G team and the league goes the route of soccer's promotion/delegation model?  Probably not, but examples in the past would be early 80's Miami, late 70's FSU, 00's Boise State.  In typical HuskerBoard fashion, proceed with stoning the new user.

No.  Not possible.  That’s essentially what we have now.   Too many schools. Not enough TVs and fans to support them.  All the NCAA controls and limits of the past were designed to level the playing field and help the have nots to compete with the haves.  Now, $$ is the overriding factor and the market says there’s not enough room for 140 teams in the college football market.  The networks want the money games that sell.  They can’t pay for games nobody wants to watch.  
The conferences need brand name teams every week.  The problem is for every Globetrotter team, you need the Generals as designated losers.  So, in the end, the elite league teams need some non con patsies to schedule for post season relevancy.  Those generals have to know and accept their loser status though.  Schools like NU aren’t ready for that so the next couple years are critical!   Will DONU get back where we belong or will we stay in the losers’ pool?   

Many schools will be left out of the new league.  Hopefully, it won’t be us but we’re not nearly as safe as just 5 years ago.  

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Don’t be surprised if Miami starts getting brought up to go along with ND on joining the B1G.  

Would love that...the thing with what is all going on now...we will finally have warm weather schools having to play in snow

Miami at Nebraska in November would be sweet...and vice versa

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

From a strictly personal standpoint it wouldn't bother me a bit if they added CU, KSU, KU & ISU and made them our core games so we could play them every year. I know it makes now sense in this only thing that matters is money world we live in but I grew up with the Big 8 and having those derivable games every year against old foes would be fun.

Ya I'd like to have Colorado and KSU in the conference also.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker Gen said:

I think relegation system would probably be ideal, but I don't see a realistic path toward actually adopting such a model in the college sports world.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think divisions are out.  Probably out everywhere.

The three protected games seems to be the rage right now.  But I'm not sure they work with that many teams.  The idea is to protect the most important rivalries but still get to play everyone else every-other year.  I guess you could still do 4-5-5-5 with four protected games then play the other 15 teams every three years.  But that's basically a pods system.

I actually think the pods you posted look pretty good.  But I've been a fan of pods for awhile.

What about 3-8-8 with the protected rivals and 1 non-conference game? With these teams, you won't need many non-conference games. Play one challenge weekend with the other super conference or pick one old traditional rival...Iowa vs Iowa St or ND vs Navy or NU vs CU.

Not a popular view but what if we just added USC and UCLA.  

Everyone should go back to the SEC additions threads...  Rumors of so many teams joining but in reality it was what it was.  Just what was announced.  

Personally I don't like more Dame or any of the other schools mentioned.  They can keep their self righteous attitude imo.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

What about 3-8-8 with the protected rivals and 1 non-conference game? With these teams, you won't need many non-conference games. Play one challenge weekend with the other super conference or pick one old traditional rival...Iowa vs Iowa St or ND vs Navy or NU vs CU.

I don't think they'd go that many conference games because that's not enough home games.  Especially if they still have a P5 non-con game they want to keep.  I've heard that seven is their number so probably not more than 10 conference games so they can get the two extra home games.  But I'm not sure they'd even go that many.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G