USC and UCLA to the B1G

20 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

you could see 1 OOC game and rest conference honestly, or a type of spring game vs a smaller school etc. Once these conferences to to the 20-24 range they won't need the NCAA anymore and you could argue they already don't. 

I'm going to guess coaches will still advocate for them as 3 tomato cans is easier to make a bowl and less risk of getting fired.  If it does become two conferences controlling everything, Big Ten and SEC, I would think they would both be comfortable playing 9.  Could someone sell the SEC on playing 10?  I don't know.

1 hour ago, nic said:

From Eleven Warriors:

The report says Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado are discussioning joining the league on Tuesday.

This would be a fun league, not really all that super relevant in sports but fun like the tailgating and fan experience.  

48 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

you could see 1 OOC game and rest conference honestly, or a type of spring game vs a smaller school etc. Once these conferences to to the 20-24 range they won't need the NCAA anymore and you could argue they already don't. 

I agree.  I'd like to see one OOC game - just for the sake of variety.  Kind of like how major league baseball started some years ago to have cross league games in a limited format. It is interesting to see Twins versus Cardinals for example (my 2 fav major league teams - go Twins!).   NU vs OU, NU vs a Big 8 team, NU vs one of those Florida schools who we almost always played in Florida (Orange Bowl) Schedule those games in Nov in Lincoln :B).   Do away with the games against those lower level & Div 2 teams.  That is what spring and fall practice is for. Heck I don't care -  invite those teams for a fall limited scrimmage if you want the game feel.  Call it the pre-season like the NFL does.  That is what this model is becoming - NFL light.   Both teams could benefit.  But having those games as  a part of the schedule just devalues the schedule. 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Maveric is right. Teams want 7 home games for the $$, which means 10 conference games at the most. Play everyone every 3 years and it's not bad.

33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This would be a fun league, not really all that super relevant in sports but fun like the tailgating and fan experience.  

Yes, I agree.  I'd be able to get to more games living in Tulsa if NU was a part of it.  I rarely made it up to Lincoln, but OU and OSU were close to attend games without the need for hotel stays and all that extra expense.  I miss those days.  But, NU is in a better place by being in the Big 12.   Now if the BIG 10 took KU, then that would be a possible one day round trip game. 

3 minutes ago, nic said:

Maveric is right. Teams want 7 home games for the $$, which means 10 conference games at the most. Play everyone every 3 years and it's not bad.

Yes and it would stop the "NU needs to play OSU every year" routine.  

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree.  I'd like to see one OOC game - just for the sake of variety.  Kind of like how major league baseball started some years ago to have cross league games in a limited format. It is interesting to see Twins versus Cardinals for example (my 2 fav major league teams - go Twins!).   NU vs OU, NU vs a Big 8 team, NU vs one of those Florida schools who we almost always played in Florida (Orange Bowl) Schedule those games in Nov in Lincoln :B).   Do away with the games against those lower level & Div 2 teams.  That is what spring and fall practice is for. Heck I don't care -  invite those teams for a fall limited scrimmage if you want the game feel.  Call it the pre-season like the NFL does.  That is what this model is becoming - NFL light.   Both teams could benefit.  But having those games as  a part of the schedule just devalues the schedule. 

As a football fan, I agree.  I can't stand playing Fordham, McNees State, North Dakota, Georgia Southern.  Those games are nothing more than a glorified practice.  I want games against major programs every week.

However, our top programs will still be trying to get into a playoff system and competing against teams from other conferences (SEC) that literally plays nobody worth a toot in 3-4 OOC games padding their records.  So, unless the selection committee is going to recognize that Big Ten schedules are a lot tougher and realize that a 1 or 2 loss B1G team might be better than others with better records we are only hurting ourselves on the national stage.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a football fan, I agree.  I can't stand playing Fordham or McNees State.  Those games are nothing more than a glorified practice.  I want games against major programs every week.

However, our top programs will still be trying to get into a playoff system and competing against teams from other conferences (SEC) that literally plays nobody worth a toot in 3-4 OOC games padding their records.  So, unless the selection committee is going to recognize that Big Ten schedules are a lot tougher and realize that a 1 or 2 loss B1G team might be better than others with better records we are only hurting ourselves on the national stage.

Agree completely. I personally like the pod idea. If we are at 20 schools 4 pods of 5 if we end up at 24 do 6 schools per pod. Play everyone in your pod and the rest are out of pods games. You then seed your pods for the final 4 and have a mini playoff to crown the conference champion who gets an auto bid to playoffs. 

2 hours ago, nic said:

From Eleven Warriors:

The report says Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado are discussioning joining the league on Tuesday.

I assume this scenario would only play out if Oregon, Washington, and Stanford left for the Big Ten? Either way, it's not hard to envision some sort of merger between the remaining schools of those two conferences.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a football fan, I agree.  I can't stand playing Fordham, McNees State, North Dakota, Georgia Southern.  Those games are nothing more than a glorified practice.  I want games against major programs every week.

I agree. If there is just one governing body that crowns a NC then the field need to be even or adjusted for SOS.  Otherwise, if the Big 10 truly has a national footprint  - bring in 4 of the top west cost teams, ND, and the top ACC teams (Miami, NC, FSU - Clemson most likely goes SEC) then maybe we crown our NC.  SEC can crown their NC. Each conference having their own POD playoff system. Kind of like AFL and NFL before there was a super bowl.  Each declared a NC. Or    Maybe a 4 team playoff would be Big 10, SEC, 1 highest ranked from the other conferences, 1 highest rank at large from SEC or Big 10.  Call it the Big 10/SEC NC invitational since those will be the 2 very dominant conferences.  :snacks:

10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Agree completely. I personally like the pod idea. If we are at 20 schools 4 pods of 5 if we end up at 24 do 6 schools per pod. Play everyone in your pod and the rest are out of pods games. You then seed your pods for the final 4 and have a mini playoff to crown the conference champion who gets an auto bid to playoffs. 

I like the 24 school situation.  You have your POD every year and play the other schools every 3 - which should be sufficient.  24 schools would really give the B1G a national footprint.  Wt the current 16 + ND we would be basically MW/East + 2.   7 schools I'd like to see added to get us to 24:  OR, Wash, Stanford, NC, Miami, GT, Baylor.   This would put us deeper in the SE recruiting grounds wt NC, Miami, GT.  Also the Texas recruiting market would be opened up wt Baylor.  I'd be OK wt TCU but Baylor has been a higher performer in football and basketball.   Stanford, ND, NW, Baylor would be 4 private schools in the mix.   Of course the former Pac 12 teams open up recruitment on the west coast. 

3 hours ago, nic said:

AAU is the problem, which leaves only Texas and TAMU. I do not think the other brands left are big enough to overcome the perceived lack of academics. I suppose Texas could back out of their SEC commitment, but I am not sure how that works….and do we want that baggage?

I was thinking more like TCU which brings the DFW market. As for AAU, I dont believe Nebraska is on that list. 

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G