USC and UCLA to the B1G

40 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes and during this time, OU, Yale, TX, PSU & I believe ND jumped us  on the all time win list.   I remember when NU was ranked 5th on this list.  We were 7th in 2019. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins#:~:text=Measured in total wins%2C the,all divisions with 976 wins.

Rank Team Won Lost Tied Pct Total Games
1 Michigan 976 352 36 .729 1364
2 (T) Ohio State 942 329 53 .731 1324
2 (T) Alabama 942 333 43 .731 1318
4 Oklahoma 931 331 53 .728 1312
5 Notre Dame 929 330 42 .730 1301
6 Texas 928 385 33 .702 1346
7 Yale 921 385 55 .697 1361
8 Penn State 909 404 41 .686 1354
9 Nebraska 908 409 40 .684 1357

Ugh I don't know why but seeing that hurts more than other stats I've seen. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Micheal said:

Ugh I don't know why but seeing that hurts more than other stats I've seen. 

Yes, for the longest time we were 5th  - well ahead of OU and the others.

Mich

Bama

OSU

I think ND  was 4th & barely ahead  of us.     Texas was just behind us as I recall.    During the Bo years, OU was slowly catching up. Calahan's 2 losing years hurt also.   Then we got Mike Riley and Frost and teams just jumped ahead of like we were standing still.   When we only win 3-5 games a year and OU wins 9-12 it didn't take long for them to pass us up. 

Over the last 10-15 years, OU is the team that has made the biggest jump.  Stoops and Riley had some excellent teams that won at a high level.  We fell behind.  I wonder what our record would have been if we remained in the Big 12 - less secure but perhaps a lot more wins with Bo perhaps dominating along wt OU.  :dunno

But I guess we are still considered a 'BLUE BLOOD' - historically.  But for how long.  Minnesota was once a big name team too!

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, FLusker said:

If you go to some of the Michigan message boards, I do find it interesting that the sentiment from their fan base is very much anti-nebraska when the BIG expansion to include USC/UCLA is brought up. Lots of commentary amongst a few on kicking Nebraska out to let others in - or just kicking us out - holding us in the same regard as Rutgers - whether it is for not fitting in generally or the AAU thing (which is not well understood by most of them - at least its circumstances). Just interesting I suppose - especially from a team that compares so similarly to Nebraska historically speaking. I know we have not been good, like at all, since joining the Big Ten... but Im not sure they are have been lightyears ahead of us in that span either. I don't hate Michigan necessarily, don't like losing to them - but that feeling holds true for everyone in every conference. Not sure why that sentiment seems to be so prevalent - especially since most their 11 claimed national titles happened when there were leather helmets and multiple national champions crowned each year. 

I am on Mich boards as well and I see these comments made, but I would say it is not prevalent. I saw similar comments about PSU after Sandusky, but now Mich, MSU and OSU all have their own versions of Sandusky. I also just saw a post about replacing Maryland and Rutgers with Army and Navy. No mention of NU. I would even go so far as to say that some Mich fans were hoping for a rivalry to develop with NU over the split NC, but after killing the Leaders and Legends division it seemed like the B10 wanted OSU and NU to play more often.

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Michigan fans are exceptionally entitled.

Yes.... And the Grammer Nazis on their boards are insufferable. :D they think they should be an Ivy League school.

3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

This  X 1000.  I am around a bunch of them.  I have been told by one that all of our National Championships were flukes and not earned.

They are pulling your chain. The M and NU fans I am around only argue about who would have won the split Natty in 97 if they had played. That gets heated. :D if you want them to shut up, just mention Urbs and Tressel. 

26 minutes ago, nic said:

They are pulling your chain. The M and NU fans I am around only argue about who would have won the split Natty in 97 if they had played. That gets heated. :D if you want them to shut up, just mention Urbs and Tressel. 

I live just outside of Ann Arbor. Mich Fan loves 2018 more than 1997. They whipped us good, 56-10, up 3 TDs in the first quarter. They like to boast even more because Frost ran his mouth about UCF out hitting Michigan after losing 51-14. They love the fact they dropped over 100 on Frost in 2 games.

6 hours ago, FLusker said:

If you go to some of the Michigan message boards, I do find it interesting that the sentiment from their fan base is very much anti-nebraska when the BIG expansion to include USC/UCLA is brought up. Lots of commentary amongst a few on kicking Nebraska out to let others in - or just kicking us out - holding us in the same regard as Rutgers

Even in our s#!ttiest years, we still bring in like six times as many viewers as Rutgers does.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, FLusker said:

If you go to some of the Michigan message boards, I do find it interesting that the sentiment from their fan base is very much anti-nebraska when the BIG expansion to include USC/UCLA is brought up. Lots of commentary amongst a few on kicking Nebraska out to let others in - or just kicking us out - holding us in the same regard as Rutgers - whether it is for not fitting in generally or the AAU thing (which is not well understood by most of them - at least its circumstances). Just interesting I suppose - especially from a team that compares so similarly to Nebraska historically speaking. I know we have not been good, like at all, since joining the Big Ten... but Im not sure they are have been lightyears ahead of us in that span either. I don't hate Michigan necessarily, don't like losing to them - but that feeling holds true for everyone in every conference. Not sure why that sentiment seems to be so prevalent - especially since most their 11 claimed national titles happened when there were leather helmets and multiple national champions crowned each year. 

funny what one year can do.  This time last year harbaugh was on a hotter seat than frost coaching a progrum that really hadnt done anything of substance in the big 10 or national level for just as long as we've been inept.  Its a shame we didnt close out that game at home against them

Not to mention they've had a significantly higher recruiting profile year of year for quite some time and not much to show for it. 

we r due for some big time wins my hit list is:

1. wisconsin

2. iowa

3. michigan

if we pull off all 3 this year and win double digit games i think im gonna have to do a husker rendition of this iconic painting in the form of an a$$ tat. Gotta source some characters, thinking the following make the list:

Dr. Tom

Herbie

Bo

Frosty

suh

a jovial trent alberts

Who else should make the cut?

mob painting.jpg

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

funny what one year can do.  This time last year harbaugh was on a hotter seat than frost coaching a progrum that really hadnt done anything of substance in the big 10 or national level for just as long as we've been inept.  Its a shame we didnt close out that game at home against them

Not to mention they've had a significantly higher recruiting profile year of year for quite some time and not much to show for it. 

1. wisconsin

2. iowa

3. michigan

if we pull off all 3 this year and win double digit games i think im gonna have to do a husker rendition of this iconic painting in the form of an a$$ tat. Gotta source some characters, thinking the following make the list:

Dr. Tom

Herbie

Bo

Frosty

suh

a jovial trent alberts

mob painting.jpg

Gotta have Devaney.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

1. wisconsin

2. iowa

3. michigan

Dr. Tom

Herbie

Bo

Frosty

suh

a jovial trent alberts

mob painting.jpg

You gotta have the Heisman winners on there, at least in the foreground. Suh could hang with them--we all know he was the only Hesiman candidate worthy of that trophy that year, if you go by the original intent of its offering. 

• Plus1 2

"The three things that would make continuing as an independent unsustainable would be the loss of a committed broadcast partner, the loss of a fair route into the postseason, or such an adverse financial consequence that you had to reconsider," said Swarbrick, a Notre Dame graduate who is entering his 15th season leading Irish athletics.

Other than the money, I think this might be the biggest leverage on Notre Dame.  If it gets harder for USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State and other teams that are regulars on Notre Dame's schedule to fit them in, their strength of schedule and media attractiveness take a hit.  On the flip side, if they move to a conference that facilitates that schedule...

One potential roadblock to continuing those rivalry games, along with its typically robust schedule, could be if the expanded versions of the SEC and Big Ten ultimately decide to play 10 conference games. That would leave teams with only two openings, and with such a rigorous league lineup, they might opt for an easier opponent, leaving Notre Dame with less scheduling inventory.

ESPN

21 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

You gotta have the Heisman winners on there, at least in the foreground. Suh could hang with them--we all know he was the only Hesiman candidate worthy of that trophy that year, if you go by the original intent of its offering. 

Good idea, throwin Tommie on there too.  

Thinking of adding a couple bouncers and having them throw out Billy C and riley out the door and depict them mid air

I really can't believe the ACC presidents signed a GOR agreement that handcuffs them to 2036.  FSU, per the rumor below, is looking for a way out. 

This statement shows what kind of dilemma they (and other ACC schools) are in.  Thank-you Dr Tom that we aren't in that same boat!:clap

The numbers being tossed around don't give the Seminoles much of a choice in the matter. Either join the SEC or Big Ten to gain the funding to climb back amongst college football's elite or risk competing with the two megaconferences while holding a dwindling budget that will pale in comparison to what the big names in the sport will be able to provide.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/sources-florida-state-exploring-leaving-acc-for-new-conference/ar-AAZkm0K?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=0255c80998f04bcbcc58734575640b8e

Sources tell NoleGameday that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

The SEC is trying to do whatever it can to stay ahead of the Big Ten's expansion plans. There has been some discussion around the conference pushing to get Oklahoma and Texas in the fold as soon as 2023 to leapfrog the Big Ten's addition of USC and UCLA. The SEC does not want to let the Big Ten creep into the southeast TV markets and will do everything in its power to stop that from becoming reality.

While the SEC would represent more regional matchups for Florida State, the Big Ten offers a tradition of excellence that could boost the university's academic reach.

NoleGameday has been informed that the conference is considering a concession to offer the Seminoles membership despite the fact they're not an AAU (Association of American Universities) school. This isn't something that all of the current members of the conference are necessarily privy about.

Even with the interest from the SEC and Big Ten, Florida State has to find a way to legally circumvent the ACC's Grant of Rights, which isn't set to expire until 2036. In 2013, each president or chancellor signed a deal to surrender their respective schools' media rights to the ACC with an original expiration date of June 30, 2027. However, the agreement was extended for nine more years in 2016 to provide increased television revenue and to get the ACC Network launched.

The Grant of Rights is to be executed based on ESPN's agreement. For instance, if new teams are added to the conference via a PAC-12 merger, the current ACC Grant of Rights would be invalidated. In that same scenario, a new GoR would have to be drafted and that would allow Florida State to freely leave for a new conference. The reality is that ESPN has all of the power here. Technically the company could reverse course on its deal with the ACC if the profit margins from the SEC expansion outweigh the cost of abanding the ACC Network. And they probably will.

Considering the SEC's massive deal with ESPN, the sources went on to state that they believe the ACC's Grant of Rights will only be invalidated if premiere programs such as Florida State agree to join the SEC instead of the Big Ten. 

The numbers being tossed around don't give the Seminoles much of a choice in the matter. Either join the SEC or Big Ten to gain the funding to climb back amongst college football's elite or risk competing with the two megaconferences while holding a dwindling budget that will pale in comparison to what the big names in the sport will be able to provide.

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G