USC and UCLA to the B1G

Good read. It's what I mentioned earlier about Oregon and Washington not bringing in enough money to the big10....yet.

"Oregon and Washington are the two best football programs "in play" considering the Pac-12 is down to 10 teams; however, there is a reason they haven't been considered prominently in realignment. Industry sources say neither brings requisite value to the Big Ten ($80 million-$100 million per year)."

"One industry source called Oregon and Washington "tweeners" in realignment."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/conference-realignment-phil-knight-resorts-to-cold-calling-for-oregon-as-pac-12-big-12-acc-seek-lifelines/amp/

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, nic said:

Good read. It's what I mentioned earlier about Oregon and Washington not bringing in enough money to the bog10....yet.

"Oregon and Washington are the two best football programs "in play" considering the Pac-12 is down to 10 teams; however, there is a reason they haven't been considered prominently in realignment. Industry sources say neither brings requisite value to the Big Ten ($80 million-$100 million per year)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/conference-realignment-phil-knight-resorts-to-cold-calling-for-oregon-as-pac-12-big-12-acc-seek-lifelines/amp/

I think it is safe to say that when you live in places as bat s#!t crazy as those two places that is bound to happen.  I mean, Washington literally had actual treasonists create CHAZ where they hated on America and sexually assaulted and killed people.  If you live there...UW football is probably not your Saturday priority.  

Oregon just has horrible housing prices.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 7/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, VectorVictor said:

Riley, yes. 

I still contend that had Callahan got a replacement for Cosgrove, he'd still be our coach to this day--the offense was that good, as was special teams. Just the defense was *SO* bad...

I was reading about some game I think it was Kansas first Nebraska.  The writer said "in one way it was like the games of old with running backs charging through big gaping holes.". I think your Huskers scored 40 points and lost.

8 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2022/07/notre-dame-ad-outlines-3-reasons-to-join-a-conference-will-it-be-big-ten.html

ND AD:

“The three things that would make continuing as an independent unsustainable would be the loss of a committed broadcast partner, the loss of a fair route into the postseason, or such an adverse financial consequence that you had to reconsider,”

" and, hey when is the NBC contract up for renewal?"

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

" and, hey when is the NBC contract up for renewal?"

2025. Do you think NBC is going to back out or pay more? The big10 thinks ND brings 80 to 100 mil to the league. NBC pays them only 15 mil. Seems like ND can ask for lots more.

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think it is safe to say that when you live in places as bat s#!t crazy as those two places that is bound to happen.  I mean, Washington literally had actual treasonists create CHAZ where they hated on America and sexually assaulted and killed people.  If you live there...UW football is probably not your Saturday priority.  

Oregon just has horrible housing prices.

Lol I played club ball against Seattle U on that field back in college. There was this “tarp” rolled up under the shed in the outfield, but then it started moving in the middle of an inning, turned out to be a homeless person. It was wild.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

I'm still shocked UCLA & USC move. Notre Dame is okay, but west coast schools .... bizarre :blink:

Yeah understandable bc of location. We don't have Notre Dame yet or does it look like they are going to join. Imho they are dancing around actually joining. 

2 minutes ago, Husker2326 said:

Yeah understandable bc of location. We don't have Notre Dame yet or does it look like they are going to join. Imho they are dancing around actually joining. 

A high stakes game of musical chairs with money playing the role of the music..

24 minutes ago, Husker2326 said:

Beside money, Purdue, Hoosiers and Notre Dame, same state.

And very close location, Northwestern. Chicago-South Bend distance, less than 100 miles away.

Explain ND joined ACC conference? (last year)

BTW, Fighting Irish is my second favorite team.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, nic said:

2025. Do you think NBC is going to back out or pay more? The big10 thinks ND brings 80 to 100 mil to the league. NBC pays them only 15 mil. Seems like ND can ask for lots more.

Savvy Jack Swarbrick is bidding up the contract ala bridge the card game.  Rumors say that SC let him know what they were planning before it went public.  Knowing that ND can walk into the conference at any time give him a lot of leverage with other parties. 

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Savvy Jack Swarbrick is bidding up the contract ala bridge the card game.  Rumors say that SC let him know what they were planning before it went public.  Knowing that ND can walk into the conference at any time give him a lot of leverage with other parties. 

He can certainly get more out of NBC in 2025. Will it be enough. I guess we wait and see. As far as the Big10, the only thing ND could probably negotiate is protected rivals and a full share right away. So for now ND stands pat and the Big Ten does the same unless the SEC reacts in a way that forces the Big Ten's hand. Meanwhile the PAC12 and Big12 limp along with each team positioning themselves for the next round.

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I don't know if NBC even wants to compete in the sports market. On their networks I only see SNF and bicycle racing. 

I thought I read NBC was interested in big10 games, but I could be wrong. If NBC is not going to continue with the ND games after 2025 and no one else is interested, then ND will join a conference. I don't see FOX or ESPN being interested if they think ND will be forced to join a conference....unless they get a lower price than 80 mil. :D NDs choice would be to start getting 80 to 100 mil in 2024, or go with 15 mil through 2025. Seems like an easy choice. Let's see how savvy Swarbuck really is. :lol:

NBC is producing NFL Thursday Night Football broadcasts for Amazon, with Al Michaels and Kirk Herbstreit as the announcers. Will be interesting to see if that partnership expands.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, nic said:

I thought I read NBC was interested in big10 games, but I could be wrong. If NBC is not going to continue with the ND games after 2025 and no one else is interested, then ND will join a conference. I don't see FOX or ESPN being interested if they think ND will be forced to join a conference....unless they get a lower price than 80 mil. :D NDs choice would be to start getting 80 to 100 mil in 2024, or go with 15 mil through 2025. Seems like an easy choice. Let's see how savvy Swarbuck really is. :lol:

I could live with CBS taking over ND home games.  They always had the better product and my favorite games to watch on TV was when ND played @Navy.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G