USC and UCLA to the B1G

On 7/8/2022 at 6:45 AM, Mavric said:

Other than the money, I think this might be the biggest leverage on Notre Dame.  If it gets harder for USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State and other teams that are regulars on Notre Dame's schedule to fit them in, their strength of schedule and media attractiveness take a hit.  On the flip side, if they move to a conference that facilitates that schedule...

ESPN

Yes.  As bad as it looked in 2010 I can see that staying in the Big12 would have been a death wish.

14 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

It’s not just you making jokes. ESPN has this really intelligent man talking about booting Nebraska out every other year. 

UT is not even in the SEC yet. But on the Texas fans' site they have been talking, for a year, about how great the SEC will be once they cull the herd of lesser programs. 

I'm not sure three out of 14 school being located within 400 miles of the coast qualifies as ""mostly East-coast".

Barely half the conference (currently) is even in the Eastern Time Zone.

But, hey, you're only representing an institution of higher-learning.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure three out of 14 school being located within 400 miles of the coast qualifies as ""mostly East-coast".

See, that is where you are mistaken.. For Californian's, if you aren't in located Cali, you are on the East coast.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 6
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure they're referencing the time zone.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

"creative scheduling"  Does that mean any game could count as a conference game?  That would entice ND to consider joining. 

I wouldn't read into it, other than "mum's the word".  The big ten is keeping things quiet, including scheduling and other teams possibly joining from the west.

I would love Notre Dame to join the BIG, and it makes sense.  But there is a plan B and plan C if they don't. 

Mum's the word for now, and wait and see in a year.

I can see football schedules being set up so that Cali schools mostly play teams like Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois...etc. and the eastern schools like Rutgers, Maryland, PSU mostly play teams teams they are closer to.  Maybe it's set up in a quasi east/west division.

However, this becomes more difficult with sports like volleyball and basketball where they play way more games and will play all the teams in the conference.  But, those athletes are used to missing more school.

That said, a direct flight from LA to Philly is 5 hours 18 minutes.  (per expedia) This isn't like they would be on a 12 hour flight.

I foresee to many speculative assumptions. Heck, the B1G hasn't even hinted at a 2023 schedule yet let alone a 2024 and beyond schedule. I know it's fun to speculate and predict but ugh... I wish the B1G would more openly discuss the topic. Pods, are they leaning that way? Divisions, are they leaning that way? Is the scheduling intent to mandate 9 conference games or is it going to be more? Truth is, until the finalize a new TV contract I doubt there will be any open discussion on the scheduling topic. Hush, Hush is the motto of the B1G administrators and I don't believe there is a better Hush Hush group of administrators in all of college athletics. Gotta admit though, it's been fun reading some of the speculative suggestions/ideas. I'm not bright enough nor knowledgeable enough to create a speculative schedule so, please continue. Who knows, maybe one of the speculations ends up having merit.

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

I foresee to many speculative assumptions. Heck, the B1G hasn't even hinted at a 2023 schedule yet let alone a 2024 and beyond schedule. I know it's fun to speculate and predict but ugh... I wish the B1G would more openly discuss the topic. Pods, are they leaning that way? Divisions, are they leaning that way? Is the scheduling intent to mandate 9 conference games or is it going to be more? Truth is, until the finalize a new TV contract I doubt there will be any open discussion on the scheduling topic. Hush, Hush is the motto of the B1G administrators and I don't believe there is a better Hush Hush group of administrators in all of college athletics. Gotta admit though, it's been fun reading some of the speculative suggestions/ideas. I'm not bright enough nor knowledgeable enough to create a speculative schedule so, please continue. Who knows, maybe one of the speculations ends up having merit.

Really?  We are fans with no say in the matter.  This is also a very high dollar issue with the conference and the member schools.  There is no way in hell they should be discussing this openly in the press yet.  At the appropriate time, you will learn what they are thinking.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can see football schedules being set up so that Cali schools mostly play teams like Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois...etc. and the eastern schools like Rutgers, Maryland, PSU mostly play teams teams they are closer to.  Maybe it's set up in a quasi east/west division.

However, this becomes more difficult with sports like volleyball and basketball where they play way more games and will play all the teams in the conference.  But, those athletes are used to missing more school.

That said, a direct flight from LA to Philly is 5 hours 18 minutes.  (per expedia) This isn't like they would be on a 12 hour flight.

Most of those sports also have smaller rosters and already schedule so if, for example, you're playing at Indiana, you play at Pur-f****g-due (or NW, or Illinois) or another close school later that week so you only travel once. 

Yes it's more school missed, but the kids are responsible for getting their academic affairs in order before the trip, last I checked, and for the most part they do a good job of it. 

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Most of those sports also have smaller rosters and already schedule so if, for example, you're playing at Indiana, you play at Pur-f****g-due (or NW, or Illinois) or another close school later that week so you only travel once. 

Yes it's more school missed, but the kids are responsible for getting their academic affairs in order before the trip, last I checked, and for the most part they do a good job of it. 

Yes.  And, especially since COVID, so many classes have lectures posted online for students to listen to if they miss class.  Damn...that would have been nice when I was in school.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s an interesting point, as a fan. Cost of flights have drastically increased and volume of flights has shrunk to those areas. Too soon to get into those details, but would be interesting to see how that plays out with the airlines.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G