USC and UCLA to the B1G

14 minutes ago, Toe said:

From the article below that:

Damn...

OK....I know I'm not a mathematician.  But, isn't 600 million exactly half of 1.2 billion?  Which, wouldn't that mean if they doubled their deal, they would EQUAL what the Big Ten is?  This quote says it won't even get to HALF of what the Big Ten is.

What am I missing?

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I know I'm not a mathematician.  But, isn't 600 million exactly half of 1.2 billion?  Which, wouldn't that mean if they doubled their deal, they would EQUAL what the Big Ten is?  This quote says it won't even get to HALF of what the Big Ten is.

What am I missing?

I think the PAC12's new rights fees are $300 million, so, they would need to get double the amount without USC and UCLA and then they are still at half the amount.  I think that is what its trying to say.

My major was co-com-comm-commun-com--communi-communication though.  :-)

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I think the PAC12's new rights fees are $300 million, so, they would need to get double the amount without USC and UCLA and then they are still at half the amount.  I think that is what its trying to say.

My major was co-com-comm-commun-com--communi-communication though.  :-)

Oh, so the 600 million mentioned in the quote is what it would be at if 2.5 times current. I thought they were saying the 600 million was what it was currently. 

I won't be at all surprised if NBC pays the $75 million. In fact, I'd be more surprised if they didn't and TBH, at the current B1G and SEC rates broken down per school, I think that is a fair request. If NBC decides it's too much so be it, they can then pay more if they want to get into conference contracts to broadcast college football. Truth is, all this hoopla is doing is adding to the destruction of the real value of the dollar not to mention hurting college sports as a whole. Ugh... would love to go back to the days of split titles and off season discussions of who would have beaten whom... those were the good times. However, I digress... times have changed and the change is only beginning. Better to sit back and enjoy the ride, yes?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I won't be at all surprised if NBC pays the $75 million. In fact, I'd be more surprised if they didn't and TBH, at the current B1G and SEC rates broken down per school, I think that is a fair request. If NBC decides it's too much so be it,they can then pay more if they want to get into conference contracts to broadcast college football. Truth is, all this hoopla is doing is adding to the destruction of the real value of the dollar not to mention hurting college sports as a whole. Ugh... would love to go back to the days of split titles and off season discussions of who would have beaten whom... those were the good times. However, I digress... times have changed and the change is only beginning. Better to sit back and enjoy the ride, yes?

When a competitor lowers prices and sells at a loss it is the start of an anti-trust case.  Now what happens when that competitor buys up product, likely at a loss, to corner the market?  No, Notre Dame vs Toledo is not worth that much.  And I have my doubts about Disney buying up the rest of everything beyond that no one can consume entertainment without paying the Mouse.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, nic said:

This is good for the Big10. I wonder what the PAC12 is thinking. Maybe more $$ on their own. 

I think it's the Big 12 that broke off the discussions with the PAC 12.  Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal are holding out in hopes of getting brought into the Big Ten, and the remaining PAC 12 schools aren't all that attractive to bring into the Big 12.

The Big 12 seems set on standing pat for now, hoping for the scraps in terms of TV deals from a network and then looking to bring in other schools, as needed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's the Big 12 that broke off the discussions with the PAC 12.  Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal are holding out in hopes of getting brought into the Big Ten, and the remaining PAC 12 schools aren't all that attractive to bring into the Big 12.

The Big 12 seems set on standing pat for now, hoping for the scraps in terms of TV deals from a network and then looking to bring in other schools, as needed.

Big12 is supposedly helping ND/NBC with extra content for NDs 75 million. Plus a 0. :D If I were Oregon, Washington, Stanford and California, I would wait too. No more GORs….it’s inevitable.

20 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I won't be at all surprised if NBC pays the $75 million. In fact, I'd be more surprised if they didn't and TBH, at the current B1G and SEC rates broken down per school, I think that is a fair request. If NBC decides it's too much so be it, they can then pay more if they want to get into conference contracts to broadcast college football. Truth is, all this hoopla is doing is adding to the destruction of the real value of the dollar not to mention hurting college sports as a whole. Ugh... would love to go back to the days of split titles and off season discussions of who would have beaten whom... those were the good times. However, I digress... times have changed and the change is only beginning. Better to sit back and enjoy the ride, yes?

I have been saying this for a while. Thanks for feeling the same.

Notre Dame is going to have to beef up their home/neutral schedule if they want $75M for 7 games.  I get they draw eyeballs, but they have 1 or 2 marquee home/neutral games per year, a few mid/low level ACC teams, and a couple cream puffs.

home/neutral games

2022 - Marshall, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, Clemson, Boston College, BYU (in Las Vegas)

2023 - Tennessee St, Central Michigan, Ohio St, USC, Wake Forest, Pitt, Navy (in Dublin)

2024 - Northern Illinois, Miami OH, Stanford, Florida St, Virginia, Miami FL, Navy (in NJ)

2025 - Texas A&M, Purdue, USC, Navy, NC State, Syracuse, TBD

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G