USC and UCLA to the B1G

6 hours ago, nic said:

This is good for the Big10. I wonder what the PAC12 is thinking. Maybe more $$ on their own. 

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's the Big 12 that broke off the discussions with the PAC 12.  Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal are holding out in hopes of getting brought into the Big Ten, and the remaining PAC 12 schools aren't all that attractive to bring into the Big 12.

The Big 12 seems set on standing pat for now, hoping for the scraps in terms of TV deals from a network and then looking to bring in other schools, as needed.

That would mean the PAC killed the negotiations because their biggest remaining players think they will get promoted.  Kind of like how Pitt made sure the Big East did not accept an offer from ESPN because they knew the Panthers were jumping away to the ACC soon. 

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Notre Dame is going to have to beef up their home/neutral schedule if they want $75M for 7 games.  I get they draw eyeballs, but they have 1 or 2 marquee home/neutral games per year, a few mid/low level ACC teams, and a couple cream puffs.

home/neutral games

2022 - Marshall, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, Clemson, Boston College, BYU (in Las Vegas)

2023 - Tennessee St, Central Michigan, Ohio St, USC, Wake Forest, Pitt, Navy (in Dublin)

2024 - Northern Illinois, Miami OH, Stanford, Florida St, Virginia, Miami FL, Navy (in NJ)

2025 - Texas A&M, Purdue, USC, Navy, NC State, Syracuse, TBD

To the contrary, we will start buying games from the FCS soon.  Where is the outrage over the end of 50 years of precedent?

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

ND football is like Murder, She Wrote...people just have it on in the background and hardly pay attention.  

They are the Cubs oif CFB.  It doesn't really matter who they are playing it is just sort of a tradition for people to put that game on.

I only watch ND when they play Big10 teams. I guess that might include USC now if they continue to play.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, nic said:

I only watch ND when they play Big10 teams. I guess that might include USC now if they continue to play.

Your conference improves its historical record through expansion.  Although this one actually weakens the conference record against ND.  We have an edge in the rivalry despite a slight talent deficiency. 

Interesting comments from Saban.   It would have more validity if he didn't schedule the likes of LA-Monroe and Austin Peay this year. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nick-saban-pitches-idea-to-make-cfb-more-competitive/ar-AAZKRvw?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=c43c4ae671f84536923d660e50a578af

In a one-on-one interview with 247Sports’s Josh Pate of The Late Kick With Josh Pate during SEC Media Days, Alabama coach Nick Saban touched on the lack of competitive games in college football and offered a solution. 

“I coached in the NFL for eight years, we’ve got 32 teams and every rule in the NFL creates competitive balance,” Saban told Josh Pate, per 247Sports. “Salary cap. If you have a good season, you play a more difficult schedule. Everything they do is they try to create everybody 8–8 in the NFL. If everybody’s 8–8, there is going to be fan interest to see who gets in the playoffs. But when you have teams going 13–3 and don’t even play the best players at the end of the season because they’re saving them for the playoffs, how much fan interest does that create?

“We need to respect fans and traditions, and the integrity of those traditions,” he continued. “To play quality games is the most important thing, but our rules don’t enhance us playing quality games because you’ve got to have a winning record to get in a bowl game. Why don’t we do it like basketball, have a ratings systems [and] even if you went 5–7 but played a really good schedule and played some pretty good teams, you can go to a bowl game.”

Saban echoed his comments on the Always College Football podcast from last week where he said “competitive balance” is his biggest concern when it comes to realignment. During the previous interview, he harped on the issue of there being less rivalry games if teams continue to leave conferences for another. His comments came in the wake of both USC and UCLA announcing their plans to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Interesting comments from Saban.   It would have more validity if he didn't schedule the likes of LA-Monroe and Austin Peay this year. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nick-saban-pitches-idea-to-make-cfb-more-competitive/ar-AAZKRvw?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=c43c4ae671f84536923d660e50a578af

Yeah...pretty hollow comments when looking at his own scheduling.

He's also a master at being at the top, and when someone does something to try to grow their power, acting like a victim.  He's sitting in a conference that is viewed as the best in football.  Another conference is doing something major to try to gain power and.....it's bad for college football.

Well dude, having just a few teams and one conference at the top and everyone else struggling...is what's not good for college football.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's also a master at being at the top, and when someone does something to try to grow their power, acting like a victim.  He's sitting in a conference that is viewed as the best in football.  Another conference is doing something major to try to gain power and.....it's bad for college football.

Well dude, having just a few teams and one conference at the top and everyone else struggling...is what's not good for college football.

Correct.  And from Top to Bottom - the Big 10 has typically been better/more competitve than the SEC. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Saban often does this, and people find it hypocritical but I find it refreshing and honest. He's not going to actively hurt his program by doing something he doesn't have to - he's lobbying for the rules and expectations to change for everyone. He b!^@hed about RPO/tempo offenses and people said he was whining because he had lost a step, but it was really just him warning everyone that if this is what we're going to allow then I'm going to take it and destroy you with it. He's also been on record for a long time saying every conference should have 9 game conference schedules.

But even with that being said, Bama's schedule is routinely as hard as anyone's if not harder on a yearly basis. Sure you'd like to see them play true road games more in non-con, but they always schedule at least one marquee out of conference matchup, and then have to face the SEC West every year.

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe they will vote in the NIL salary cap. 

On 7/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, nic said:

Disregard TV contract, Notre Dame is a perfect fit in B1G conference.  South Bend (ND), Bloomington (Hoosiers), West Lafayette (Purdue) ..... same state, Indiana.  And ND vs. Northwestern is less than 100 miles away.  No need charter planes.  Save fuel !!

November 30 2024, already schedule, ND at USC ..... B1G team vs B1G team ??

BTW, Fighting Irish is my second favorite team.

6 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Disregard TV contract, Notre Dame is a perfect fit in B1G conference.  South Bend (ND), Bloomington (Hoosiers), West Lafayette (Purdue) ..... same state, Indiana.  And ND vs. Northwestern is less than 100 miles away.  No need charter planes.  Save fuel !!

November 30 2024, already schedule, ND at USC ..... B1G team vs B1G team ??

BTW, Fighting Irish is my second favorite team.

I don't think ND has interest in the Big10. They want to be a national brand. Playing Indiana, Purdue and NW doesn't improve that "national appeal". 

48 minutes ago, nic said:

I don't think ND has interest in the Big10. They want to be a national brand. Playing Indiana, Purdue and NW doesn't improve that "national appeal". 

I wouldn't say they "don't have interest".  And playing Marshall, UNLV, Boston College, Syracuse and even Cal (like they do this year) isn't exactly helping their "national appeal" either.  Heck, even having North Carolina, BYU and Navy isn't really "must see TV" though slightly better in the name recognition department.  Playing 3-4 games against some combination of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Nebraska and UCLA is going to be at least an even trade and probably an upgrade over what they have now. 

They are already (potentially) handicapped by the format of an expanded playoff.  Though they still seemed to be fine with that.

They would rather be independent but it will come down to money.  If they can get the same TV payout, they'll likely stay independent.  But if not - and thus, fall behind from a competitive standpoint - they'll look pretty hard at joining a conference.

• Oh Yeah! 1

1. ND is waiting on their TV deal (24 or 25).  It puts the B1G in waiting mode.  But I really beleive they are trying to leverage the idea of moving to B1G for money independently (TV contracts).  And that's good for them, but it sucks.

2.  We need some more Arizona and Colorado teams to fill in the travel gaps.  Maybe a Utah chuckleshuffle   Forget Oregon and Wash - too far away.  The B1G got enough money, let's make this more travel friendly, add the teams, and then shut it down.  ND can remain indy.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G