USC and UCLA to the B1G

12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

In that scenario B1G teams go from 7-8 home games per year to 6.  That will never happen.  No way schools like Nebraska are going to give up the 10+ million for each home game lost.  The financial impact to the outside schools that depend on playing one of the big teams early each season would also be devastating.  Some of those schools can only afford to have a program because of the 1-2 million dollars they are paid to go get their butts kicked as a warm up for teams like Ohio State.   

I didn't calculate that we'd lose a game  - makes sense.  Ok, we drop one game wt the Pacific Div and add Alcorn State without the lightning storm.   That way we cycle through the other 3 divisions every 3 years. 

51 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Wouldn't North Carolina and Virginia be in play [and better options than Miami and Georgia Tech] to get the AAU stuff if possible?

Yes - I'd prefer them if we can get them before the SEC does.  However, I would like to be in that Florida market for recruiting. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yes - I'd prefer them if we can get them before the SEC does.  However, I would like to be in that Florida market for recruiting. 

Thanks for your additional share.  

I can see getting a footprint there.  I think I would stay higher up in Florida.  I like Florida St. in that sense.  I'd also take Clemson.

54 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Thanks for your additional share.  

I can see getting a footprint there.  I think I would stay higher up in Florida.  I like Florida St. in that sense.  I'd also take Clemson.

Yes, I would too but seems like everyone is predicting them to go to SEC.  But it would be something if B1G could get them first.   I wonder if Texas and Oklahoma would have considered the B1G if they knew it was about to go into expansion mode.  Of course I wouldn't want texas as they ruin every conference they get into.  I suspect they will under perform on the field and over perform in the board room in the SEC. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I would too but seems like everyone is predicting them to go to SEC.  But it would be something if B1G could get them first.   I wonder if Texas and Oklahoma would have considered the B1G if they knew it was about to go into expansion mode.  Of course I wouldn't want texas as they ruin every conference they get into.  I suspect they will under perform on the field and over perform in the board room in the SEC. 

Probably wouldn't be in expansion mode if Tex and Oklahoma didn't go SEC

On 9/2/2022 at 7:41 AM, BigRedN said:

Wouldn't North Carolina and Virginia be in play [and better options than Miami and Georgia Tech] to get the AAU stuff if possible?

I would agree. I don't think VA Tech is on the table with Virginia or NC out there. I was surprised to see that Miami was an option. I guess their academics are better than I thought....plus Florida.

I think that right now with the playoffs being expanded to 12, the whole USC and UCLA thing backfired on the Big 10.  They were hoping to cash in on Notre Dame by getting those two schools.  Now, Notre Dame will stay independent, with almost a guarantee of a playoff spot each season as long as they are a1 or 2 loss team .

• Haha 1
On 9/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, Mavric said:

USC and UCLA attendance will probably go up 10x when they join the B1G because of the visiting fans.

UCLA has it really rough in a few areas. Number one, the Rose Bowl is about 30 miles away from campus in LA traffic. Number two, they aren't even in session yet as a school.

Not that they would have incredible attendance otherwise, but a week one home opener definitely makes it worse than it is.

4 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I think that right now with the playoffs being expanded to 12, the whole USC and UCLA thing backfired on the Big 10.  They were hoping to cash in on Notre Dame by getting those two schools.  Now, Notre Dame will stay independent, with almost a guarantee of a playoff spot each season as long as they are a1 or 2 loss team .

Without a conference they're guaranteed to not be able to get a first round bye. Which aint nothin'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G