CBS Sports 2022 B1G Coach Rankings

2 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

In a way I agree. It's not like he has to get 8 or 9 wins to stay around. If he manages 6-6 I think it is automatic he'll be back. It will show improvement and enough to keep a large proportion of the fan base happy. Maybe even 5-7 with a signature win against a top 10 opponent will be enough. And looking at the schedule I think there is at least a chance he'll get to the elusive 6 win plateau this year.

In all those scenarios, it depends on how the season goes, other than wins and losses.  If he gets to 8 or 9 wins, he's back.  But, if he gets to 5 or 6, without major disruptions in the program outside his control, or if the losses have some blowouts, he might be gone.  If he has 5 or 6 wins, meanwhile, all of our starting O line, QB and two top WRs all go down with injuries in fall camp and the first couple games of the year.  Whipple and the O staff struggles early but pieces together an offense that wins some games down the stretch, including a win against Iowa by 20 points.....I would say he stays.

6 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

If he manages 6-6 I think it is automatic he'll be back. It will show improvement and enough to keep a large proportion of the fan base happy. Maybe even 5-7 with a signature win against a top 10 opponent will be enough.

In year 5, 6-6 against our schedule is not enough to earn a 6th year IMO.

If we go 5-7 and he is retained, then just shut the program down because the powers that be don't care about winning anymore.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

In a way I agree. It's not like he has to get 8 or 9 wins to stay around. If he manages 6-6 I think it is automatic he'll be back.

*in the automated Microsoft voice from 1999*

"If Frost goes 6-6 this season I will be so excited for 2023."

2 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

If I am the AD this is not enough.

Although media doesn’t decide things, I would say if he has 5th straight losing season, the pressure will be immense.  Not sure how you really rationalize it to go for 6.  I don’t think fans will be very happy.  Perhaps if something wild and crazy happened to derail things (like a death or loss of about have the starters or some bizarre deal.  Just showing glimpses of flashes is not going to get it imo.  Not sure what I would do.  It’s tough cause so many, including me, want Frost to succeed and give him every reasonable chance.  But I think most will say that has now happened and then some. And national media have already turned on him so he will get ridicule for even minimal mistakes or fails.  That will not go over with many fans and even former players will be hard pressed to stand by much longer.  
Just got to hope this doesn’t happen and the winds finally turn favorable in 50 days.  Need weather and etc to help every week.  Need the breaks too!   It can happen.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Deep down I really believe that you understand that what is publicly stated in press conferences isn't always the actual truth.

Frost has "the full support of the athletic department" unless and until he posts another losing season. Then all of a sudden, he won't. That's what lowering the buyout was all about.

That wasn't his idea, it was Alberts'/the administrations.

I haven't referenced anything from a press conference.

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In all those scenarios, it depends on how the season goes, other than wins and losses.  If he gets to 8 or 9 wins, he's back.  But, if he gets to 5 or 6, without major disruptions in the program outside his control, or if the losses have some blowouts, he might be gone.  If he has 5 or 6 wins, meanwhile, all of our starting O line, QB and two top WRs all go down with injuries in fall camp and the first couple games of the year.  Whipple and the O staff struggles early but pieces together an offense that wins some games down the stretch, including a win against Iowa by 20 points.....I would say he stays.

When was the last time a Frost coached team was blown out?

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I haven't referenced anything from a press conference.

Not in the post I quoted, that's true.

Scott Frost is the worst coach in the B1G for many reasons, but most specifically for capping off a cumulative 34% win percentage with a 3-9 season in year 4 of his tenure while having significantly better recruiting rankings than basically all of his competition in his division.

It's not a clickbait article. It's taking the blinders off, taking stock of the numbers and the intangibles, and applying logic to the rankings. He's dead last. There isn't a single coach in the B1G that's doing less than he is with comparable resources.

Scott has done an embarrassingly bad job. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Not in the post I quoted, that's true.

Scott Frost is the worst coach in the B1G for many reasons, but most specifically for capping off a cumulative 34% win percentage with a 3-9 season in year 4 of his tenure while having significantly better recruiting rankings than basically all of his competition in his division.

It's not a clickbait article. It's taking the blinders off, taking stock of the numbers and the intangibles, and applying logic to the rankings. He's dead last. There isn't a single coach in the B1G that's doing less than he is with comparable resources.

Scott has done an embarrassingly bad job. 

Sounds like you believe decision makers have blinders on?.....

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's been a while.  But, what does that have to do with my post?  That doesn't mean he can't be blown out sometime in the future.

Didn't say he couldn't.  But the B1G trended upward and he hasn't since the covid season.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm curious why you changed topics. You deflected from all of my (excellent) points that show exactly why Scott Frost is in fact currently the worst coach in the conference.

Why the decision makers did what they did last year is mutually exclusive from that conversation.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, TheSker said:

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I'm curious why you changed topics. You deflected from all of my (excellent) points that show exactly why Scott Frost is in fact currently the worst coach in the conference.

Why the decision makers did what they did last year is mutually exclusive from that conversation.

Also they fully understand that he's underperforming. I'm a big Frost fan, but the record is what it is - really, really bad. The decision makers just also understand that his buyout is huge and we've been paying a lot of those recently. I don't think Trev has blinders on, he just has enough business sense to wait until it's a lot cheaper. As others have said, if Frost turns it around, Trev is a genius. If he doesn't, Trev is still a genius because he saved us a lot of money by getting Frost to agree to a lower buyout after one final chance to prove himself. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

They were (excellent) points.